[Views] Beware of buying hard drives from unknown/unheard stores, even if they're giving proper bills.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
There were 2 cases of WD Black 1TB FAEX warranty period issue that came up, both from Mumbai. One was from Sai Computers, Andheri East and second from Computer Gallery, Lamington Road. Both cases, a proper bill was present. The warranty reflected was 3 years, though WD still provides 5 years warranty on serial.

Sai Computers issue was resolved quickly, WD confronted Sai Computers, including for replacing that drive in exchange for WD Black 1TB SATA II model for 1k more which reflects 5 years warranty on serial.

The issue with Computer Gallery is a little bit complicated. The drive not only reflected 3 years warranty, but its meant to be a replacement drive and not for retail. Since the bill was present, WD service centre said that the bill is forged and the matter came to be during this time.

While WD India is still trying to figure out from where the issue is originating from, I spoke to computer gallery where their own service guy said that ALL WD Black 1TB FAEX drives reflect only 3 and not 5, but he also said that he wasn't sure which distributor he got it from, and they usually buy these drives from 'some guy' in exchange for cash. Its a classic case of foolish dealers not checking whether their source is legit or not, and sell it to the people with a proper bill and getting caught up in a mess.

Buy from stores which are well known. It may cost 200- 300 bucks more but it should save you from such hassle. Its best if this is practised for any hard drives models and manufacturer. In any case, once you buy it check the serial number on the respected manufacturer's website..

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
One more question...
Are they supposed to give HDD in a anti static bag ONLY?
WITHOUT outer carton/box with graphics printed all over it like "WD" OR "Seagate"

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ I was also going to ask a similar Question cuz I too got mine in just an Antistatic Bag with WD and blah blah written on it along with some stickers about Serial no/etc

flyingcow

Shibe
One more question...
WITHOUT outer carton/box with graphics printed all over it like "WD" OR "Seagate"

As far as I know it comes only with an anti static bag packed with their brand name and other info. Like this-

*i.imgur.com/GEnlhgM.jpg?1

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Thanks for the info...will make WD buyers in TDF more cautious
Thanks for the info. Is it only for WD Black or blue drives are also ??
Not applied for WD alone. Better be safe than sorry.

Apparently for hard disks (maybe with an exception of Toshiba which is handled by Rashi. This is speculation, btw) though there are either 1 or 4 nationwide distris, there are innumerable sub distris and resellers. On top of it, there are those who engage in parallel import and don't help when it comes to replacement. Now that some start giving proper bills for such questionable items, irrespective of the manufacturer you will be in trouble. Why? Because if the SN is not in the service centres' database and/or if its some other type of drive that doesn't qualify for RMA, they will return it back and tell you to contact your dealer. They are right in their way, because its not from proper channels. There have been reports where dealer forges the imported/distributed by sticker. They can maintain their innocence saying that its the distris fault, so in the middle buyers are in a serious soup.

I called Computer Gallery and asked about the issue. Their service centre guy they bought this drive through 'a guy' regular by cash-on-cash basis. That hard drive was rejected for RMA because it was not meant for retail at all. So, avoid such shops.

One more question...
That's how its sold worldwide. I think at one point they used to have retail packs for those internal drives but with ridiculous pricing. I doubt that happens anymore.
As far as I know it comes only with an anti static bag packed with their brand name and other info.
No. It usually comes with distributed/imported by sticker, followed by an address and phone number/email address.

Phenomenal

Broken In
+1.Informative Post :D
Went to Lamington Road today.My dealer told me the SAME ISSUE when I asked him about the warranty.
It's good to have a VERIFIED person there.keeps me updated.
AVOID UNKNOWN SHOPS as told by OP.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
See, if its a legit retail drive, I can forward it to WD and they can correct it. That's what happened with Sai Computers except they decided to cheat the customer. The Computer Gallery incident was only said to be resolved yesterday by WD, because it was a replacement drive and not meant for retail.

If anyone has any issues like that, they can shoot me a PM along with the picture of the drive and the proper bill with serial number on it.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Its also best to check the SN details on flipkart, just to be sure. Same warning for Seagate. Toshiba should be lot more controlled, since only Rashi is distributing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're replacing the units like how WD and Seagate does.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so the drives came with the BLACK logo on the main spec sheet that comes attached on HDDs? my friend RMA'd his WD blue drive and received a new HDD but without any blue/green/black/red logo. or the whole spec sheet too is forged?

Top Bottom