Best performing Core i5 within an Ok price and the best but inexpensive mobo for a quad core

Hever

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Surfing, MUSIC and general multitasking, but very less gaming or encoding.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: No minimum - but just would like the best BUDGET config, for very nice performance.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Maybe some extent, but if no extra costs come on.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7 Home premium

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 - 2 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Min. Resolution - 1920x1080, Min. size 23"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: GPU - Will keep old one GT430 if not suggested to upgrade by fellow forum members (as only do not much gaming or encoding)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Near delhi. open to buy from online too

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

I was thinking of buying an i3, as it's considered quite good in the mid range segment. But would like to get a quad only, for better future proofing.

Would be using the system for mainly surfing, and general usage (some multitasking) - little video encoding and little gaming really ( not the latest games ).

I really would want to buy a quad only still, either a BUDGET i5 config or a amd quad, so please dont say that i3 is enough, as i want to not upgrade for quite some time.

I do have the gpu - nvidia GT430 kept with myself.

Min requirement for the mobo is that it should have -

1. Ram - support for 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM or higher too and i would prefer 4 slots for ram rather than 2.
2. Two SSDs - And also it should also have the sata3 too because i would like to add Sata3 6Gbps ssd as well. If i can put in 2 such ssds would be preferred really.
3. Should have good reviews / acclaim - I dont want the cheapest, but the best performance at a fine rate.
4. Would be adding a tvtuner, and wireless too maybe.

Please suggest me some 2-3 choices of mobos for these some things -

a) Some 2-3 best Budget Mobos for i5 ( sandy bridge or ivy) - which are very good, but has little to fine OC capability. Dont know if LGA1155 mobos are too better than H61.

b) Some 2-3 best budget ones for Amd quads ( I have not decided which Amd cpu to buy but would like a best BUDGET quad CPU of amd - not the cheapest but the much acclaimed amd quad only, falling under budget price )

I would have got the Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 for the core i5, but would have got it if would liked to OC to a big extent. But OC costs total would be too much seeing the 1/4 th performance gain only, that i achieve. costs include buying a premium mobo + good cooler + better psu. And i dont game or video edit / encode much so i think OC will not be worth the small cpu gain.

+

Also, i would like to know whats a best-well good performing but BUDGET-Corei5 rig i can make.

So kindly tell me the best i5 configuration that a person can build for a minor gaming and minor video encoding system. The best i5 config at budget (not cheapest config but the best performance at a budget price).

Also if there's a slightly low equivalent amd config too (atleast an acclaimed 4-core or 6-core), but at a more less price, would like to consider that too, but only if costs quite less, but gives only some less performance only.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all for the usages you mentioned even a non-overclockable core i5(only "k" editions can be overclocked which also need a z68/equivalent mobo) is a waste.since it is your money so your choice but rest assured that with your usage you won't be utilizing even half of the processing power of i5.now if you want to purchase a quad core purely for possible future usages which may or may not happen then even a non-overclockable i5(~10000) & intel DH67CLB3(~5300 & has all the features you need except overclockability of course) is more than enough.

cheapest quality performing AMD multi core will be phenom II X6(6 cores since quad cores are very hard to get now) & even these are disappearing from the market.bulldozer series is not considered on a same performance level as phenom II & in any case intel is much ahead of AMD when it comes to performance.AMD option is only recommended if you use heavy core intensive tasks & overclockability & don't have the extra 6000 for similar intel setup.

considering all this my suggestion is get i5 2320/2400 for ~10000 & DH67CLB3 for ~5400.core i3 sandybridge generation officially only supports 1066 ram.all higher frequency ram's will be downclocked unless you manually tweak settings.in short there is no point in using 1600 ram or above with core i sandybridge series.also SSD's connect just like normal sata hdd so no. of sata 3 6gbps ssd that can be connected is equal to no. of sata 3 ports on the mobo.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^+1 for CPU suggestion, but why not H77 for mobo ? He will get 3.0 ports by default, plus 1600MHz RAM support.

panwala95

In the zone
^+1 for CPU suggestion, but why not H77 for mobo ? He will get 3.0 ports by default, plus 1600MHz RAM support.
he will not be able to use natively 1600 mhz ram or pcie3 because the controller for these two functions is only present on the die of ivy bridge processors and not sandy bridge
and also any h61/h67 board paired with a ivy bridge cpu will allow you to use 1600 mhz ram but not pcie3 (only on mobos supporting this format)

OP
H

Hever

Will the cheapest and non OCed i5 much more powerful than any OCed amd quad or 6core ?
And which cheapest i5 is suggested ? Please tell the best online store / price sites for the price except flipkart which sells products at some extra price only.

And i have come to know that sandy bridge doesnot support 1600Mhz ram DDR3 and sata3 ports - is that true ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Will the cheapest and non OCed i5 much more powerful than any OCed amd quad or 6core ?

Depends on your usage.

And which cheapest i5 is suggested ? Please tell the best online store / price sites for the price except flipkart which sells products at some extra price only.

Get i5-2400. Try theitwares.com, smcinternational.in, primeabgb.com, deltapage.com, ebay.in.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
And i have come to know that sandy bridge doesnot support 1600Mhz ram DDR3 and sata3 ports - is that true ?
if you had read my previous posts you wouldn't be asking this.i will not repeat this again.there is no point in getting 1600 or above ram for sandybridge but they will run fine.if a motherboard has sata3 port then it will work no matter what processor you install.

OP
H

Hever

Should i wait for the ivy bridge i3 ?

Will ivy bridge i3 accept my GPU nvidia GT430, or disable it like A8 amd apu will ?

and will the ivy bridge i3 be available in india in how much delay after its launched in usa, and at similar price around 7k or more than that ?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^It will be fine with GT430. And get i5-2400 for best future proofing. Though i3 will suffice, but if you can afford and wanting some "future proof" solution, then its the best bet you can do.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

1. H77 is waste of money IMHO, at this point of time.
2. What do you mean by '3.0 ports'? USB3 or PCI-E3.0?
If you are talking about PCI-E3.0, it is not needed for the card OP have, and even for GTX690 this fact holds true.
3. OP is not into overclocking. Practically 1333MHz and 1600MHz RAM doesn't make any difference at all. These small differences are just the numbers which are important for benchmarking.

@OP: Read the first post by whitestar_999. He have explained everything there. I don't think you will have any question in your mind after reading that post properly.
And two questions:
1. Which chassis you wish to buy or already have?
2. Which PSU you wish to buy or already have?

OP
H

Hever

Chasis - I would like one which is absolutely great looking - something really marvellous. But should not be too expensive.

And psu - i have gigabyte superb 460W. Will it work with any i5 / i3 / amd quad config, that is not OCed ? And for OCing upto slight level ? or do i have to buy a new one for Even the slightest OCing ?

And i would like not a H61 mobo but anything better than that only. within the range of 5.2k or something, if possible. If a much better mobo comes with some 1-1.5k more, it would still be ok, but if there is one with good features and specially in it for 2 ssds at sata3 ( a must ), then tell me some good ones within 5k too.

panwala95

In the zone
Should i wait for the ivy bridge i3 ?

Will ivy bridge i3 accept my GPU nvidia GT430, or disable it like A8 amd apu will ?

and will the ivy bridge i3 be available in india in how much delay after its launched in usa, and at similar price around 7k or more than that ?
a amd apu does not disable a gt 430
it will not pair with it in hybrid crossfire
only hd 6450, hd 6570, hd6670 gpu can be paired in cfx with an apu
in future before posting anything please get your facts straight

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
About cheap good looking cabinet, look into NZXT Source 210 @2.4K
Your current PSU i.e. Gigabyte Superb 460 will work with mid end i5 along with mid end graphics card.

About motherboard, use:
DH67CLB3 for ~5400
already suggested by whitestar_999.

Top Bottom