Best HDD scrubbing software?

lalam

In the zone
Hey guys am about to sell an old PC but i was confused over what to use to scrub the HDD, to make files permanently unrecoverable. Or should i format it twice to thrice? Is it gonna be enough?

I'd prefer one that would do it fast.

Thank you all in advance.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'd recommend Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. Low Level Format.

There are many methods, but I personally recommend Gutmann's method. You can google the methods out and choose gracefully :p

OP
L

lalam

In the zone
@abhinav & SyGeek

I hope it's fast. Read about people having to do 16GB for hours and hours with some software. It'd be a nightmare if that's what i have to do too, yikes!

And thanks all three, yeh gracefully :p

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
I hope it's fast. Read about people having to do 16GB for hours and hours with some software. It'd be a nightmare if that's what i have to do too, yikes!
You can start with less no of writes then see if the time is up to your mark. If not go for lees writes so as to take breaks if you prefer but its good.

aswin1

Journeyman
Download Hirens Boot CD. It has many options including those mentioned above. It will take less time as you'll be working from the boot CD and not the Disk.

doomgiver

Warframe
@abhinav & SyGeek

And thanks all three, yeh gracefully :p

well, depends upon what type of wiping you are doing.
for regular users, the hdd is formatted normally and then written with zeros'
for super-secret military wiping, the hdd is overwritten with 0's, and then every sector is overwritten with random pattern of bits 48 times, then it is wiped and 0's are put in again, thats why it takes so much time.

that way, its impossible to recover any kind of data

Top Bottom