best free virtual drive software(has virtual media feature)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was trying to create a windows 7 system repair disc on a laptop with non-working dvd drive & thought virtual clone drive would take care of the problem.however i found out that windows only recognize physical drives & failed to recognize virtual clone drive probably because most such drives are usually empty unless you insert an image.after searching a bit i found a free software "KernSafe TotalMounter" which is not only recognized by windows as a burner but it also allows inserting blank virtual cd(650mb) or virtual dvd(4.38gb).after inserting a virtual 650mb cd windows wizard for creating system repair disc completed writing data to blank 650mb virtual cd which is then saved as a 143mb iso file by KernSafe TotalMounter.as far as i know no other free virtual drive software has this feature(virtualCD has it i think but it is paid).
KernSafe iSCSI initiator, Virtual CD/DVD-RW Emulator, Virtual Encryption Disk and Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Emulator All-in-One free software.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^install any free virtual drive software & try to make a windows 7 system repair disk using the virtual drive with no physical media & if you succeed i will strike off the "best" in the title ;)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Lol..k.., I think I missed the part that it's ze best only when you have a ready made iso :p

But since you don't have a physical drive you need an iso anyway.

Edit: Anyway, I am not aware of any freeware for your purpose. Sorry.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is why i used "best" in topic title :) KernSafe TotalMounter is the only freeware virtual drive program i know which can be used by windows to write through a virtual writer using virtual blank cd/dvd.i used it to create a win 7 system repair disk on a laptop with no working dvd drive.also i think this program is quite handy for such situations where windows force you to write to a cd/dvd drive requiring to waste a blank cd/dvd when image is just few hundred mb.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wait a sec! I thought you were "asking" for another freeware with such capabilities! :oops:
My bad! :|

In that case, thanks for sharing. :)

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no it don't.as i said before only other virtual drive software having this feature that i know is virtualCD which is paid.

for those who are still wondering what this is about here is a simple test.try creating windows 7 system repair disc without actually using a cd/dvd.then you will understand perfectly.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
even a google search reveals what the OP has been reiterating. however, some say that the software is very buggy. would like to know the OP's opinion on that.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am using it on windows 7 ultimate 32 bit with no problems till now.i will also install it on a 64bit edition in near future to see how it works.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
This might be helpful ;-)
Windows 7 - Create a System Repair Disc on a Bootable USB Flash Drive without Burning a CD - YouTube

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have seen that video but typing such tedious commands just for a simple task is not my preferred way.with Total Mounter i can be assured that whatever the situation is i can burn without actually using a cd/dvd simply by inserting a blank virtual cd/dvd.

btw that last part about using diskpart & other commands to make pendrive bootable here is a small tip.once you use windows 7 usb dvd tool to create bootable pendrive there is no further need to use such commands again for using other windows/winPE based iso's.simply paste folders(BOOT,EFI,SOURCES) & file(BOOTMGR) into the root of pendrive from the iso.you can cut all the file/folders of windows image install to a new folder so now your pendrive will boot from the new iso.this way you can permanently have various iso's including windows 7 install in your pendrive & it is simply a matter of moving files within pendrive to select which iso to boot from.currently my 8gb pendrive has windows 7 ultimate iso,easeus todo backup iso(winpe based version),paragon suite(winpe based) & planning to add some more.you can also use your pendrive normally but i would suggest against it unless you are sure that pc is not infected(i prefer own pc or those i trust only).

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
from my post#8 above
for those who are still wondering what this is about here is a simple test.try creating windows 7 system repair disc without actually using a cd/dvd.then you will understand perfectly.

@Alok,no offense but posting just for the sake of posting is something i expect from newbies not from those with 1000+ posts.btw power iso is not freeware either & as far as i know even their paid versions don't have this feature.only other virtual drive software having this feature that i know is virtualCD which is paid.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's one more commercial app with virtual CD/DVd writing function :
Virtual Blu-ray/DVD/CD burner drive, create data or music disc image from any burner software

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
did some search & it seems that phantom burner development is ceased with no 64bit support either.so at present the best & only commercial app with this feature is virtual CD(from H+H Software) at $34.95.

Top Bottom