best 5.1 channel speakers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ You got to try the Digital connection then! The 300 track is awesome! One movie which sets a benchmark for audio. I'm waiting for the Transformers track though...supposed to be pretty darn good.

@upendra_gp: If your speakers can decode DD/DTS, then yes, you can get a soundcard, use the COAX or Optical whichever is acceptable by your system.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Actually technically speaking it all depends upon DAC

When we are connecting optical/coax out from soundcard to optical/coax in of Logitech z-5500d decoder then Logitech decoder would do digital to analog conversion i.e. logitech decoders DAC would be used.

Else when we connect sound card & Logitech by analog way then soundcards DAC would come into play.

But I bet the DAC on even audigy(think of xi-fi or m-audio) soundcards is definitely better than the DAC on the Logitech decoder. Unless we have a high end digital receiver there is no point in using the digital connection.

pawsingh

>>----------->
Off topic: Can some one confirm if Logitech Z 5300 are still available.

One of my friend is going to Delhi next week and If Z 5300 are available then i will ask him to buy a set for me.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
pawsingh said:
Off topic: Can some one confirm if Logitech Z 5300 are still available.

One of my friend is going to Delhi next week and If Z 5300 are available then i will ask him to buy a set for me.

what do u want z 5300 for????? music ,dobly digital 5.1 movies or gaming...

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
last time I remember z5300 were available with smc international for 12000rs in june 07

btw. even with a 5.1 speakers we just have 2 ears to listen to them. I have both 5.1 inspire T6060 & Altec lansing MX5021 and what I feel is a quality 2.1 is much better than a mediocre 5.1 for anything.

Anyways which soundcard do u plan to use with z5300.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yeah, you'd be amazed at nature's engineering skills that even with two ears we can pretty much do some amazing sound mapping. Those ear canals do come in handy don't they!

For Movies, the 2.1 experience doesn't even come close to 5.1. I'd say go for the Z5300. They are not mediocre, much better than those Creative inspire series. 250Watts RMS can pretty much shake a room down...

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
If u can't differentiate between surround sound and traditional 2.1 then its not the speakers fault .. ur ears are the problem , or most importantly u didn't setup ur speakers properly ...

Infact ... if u have a headphone ,,, google for some binaural sound sample's and see how u'll be amazed at what ur headphone's can do , and ur speakers won't reproduce the same effects ...

And about T6060 and MX5021 ... ur comparing a mediocre 5.1 system with a system at the zenith of the 2.1 ... Then again , consider how "loud" u actually listen , and what are the prices .. .. coupled that with the certain features u get only with 5.1 systems , and considering surround sound to be a part of almost everything right now ...

goobimama

 Macboy
While I haven't listened to the Z5300, I know that the Inspire series are a bunch of bazunga (word invented by me). I also know what the Z stands for. It's the high end speakers by Logitech Z2300, 5300 and 5500. All are THX certified and are amazing performers according to many reviews. The Z5300 has a 8" sub for gods sake. Comparing that to a 23Watt RMS subwoofer of the inspire series and you are in over yourself.

I've listened to the Altec Lansing MX5021. Decent sound, but nowhere near what the Logitech Z5500 can output. And for movies then definitely 5.1. Although I can see where why you think that way, cause i had an Inspire 4.1 and didn't feel any 'surround' effect as such...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I feel surround to be much impressive in games than in movies. maybe the reason is that all DVDs that i get are that crappy 100 bucks one, which has gud video quality but not sure bout sound. Those DVDs has some lil bit of surround but only rarely in movies. Will try if i get ny original DVD.
But in games, ull easily notice the amazing surround effect even if u dun listed to sound keenly. HL2 and some other games has gud surround.

Last point bout 5300.
Z 5300 has paper diaphram, so might get distorted at high volumes and can't match upto the performance of fibre/plastic diaphrams of Z5500.
But Z5300's paper diaphram is the best among other paper based woofers and is of gud quality.

How can one compare T6060 with MX 5021?
MX 5021[90] is a THX one and even if its a 2.1, it has much higher total rms than T6060[73].
But setting the rear speaker are real proble. The cables has to be stretched around the walls to the rear of the room, but T6060's cable are not dat long.

Before getting Z5300, make sure it has gud cable length for rear speakers. If u extend the length the quality is suffered much.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
Hmm…..
I have myself listened z5300 on revo 5.1. With just 9-10 tracks I was able to make it out that those speakers don’t have clarity in them in comparison to mx 5021 plus lower mids were hollow ….

If Any speakers doesn’t have clarity in them then they are mediocre.. ..if a person is accustomed to listening just bhuum.. bhuuuum….bhuuuuuumfrom sub….then I’m afraid I cant help. When I have myself compared both mx5021 & z5300 how can I suggest z5300 to anyone?

For a 5.1 I can suggest z5500d if u have budget for it or else start with 2.1 mx5021 then move on to passive spks. & amps. AL MX5021 IS just a starting towards closest original sound at a very decent price.

“More is better” is just a syndrome. I have gone through it. People consider 7.1 better than 5.1 then 4.1 than 2.1 blah blah blah. Then take about rms syndrome, driver size ……oh I’m sick of it

Sony/samsung sell hts of 1000w rms but people fail to realize it just has a horrible eq in it and nothing else, no fidelity at all . Even just well balanced drivers of about RMS of 50W x 2 are more than enough to make u dance.

THX just means a guaranteed equipment quality but it doesn’t means that equipment is well balanced…or would sound like a charm….look at z 2300…. oh horrible…

Anything in pc spks except z5500d,AL mx 5021, klipsh gmx 2.1 are oh..

Btw. Z 5300 has 6.5”sub driver not 8” ….oh sorry it’s a syndrome &T6060 are entry level spk.meant for TV or something like that where u don’t need fidelity , z5300 mediocre….

Last edited:

avikchaks

Ex-KGB
Off topic ,
To get sound off my PC , I am using my Sony 5000W music system which has 4 speakers . Now I want to add 2 more speakers which are just lying around ..

How do i go about adding em to my setup ?

divyeshashiya

Broken In
Hey I bought the digital optical fibre cable today for 300 bucks and connected it with my z5500.It says NO DIGITAL DATA in the Control Dock of the speakers.I have connected it to onboard sound(asus a8n-e)

goobimama

 Macboy
I feel your explaination to be vague at times. Who said SPDIF can only transmit 5.1 audio. If its 5.1 DTS SPDIF sends DTS signals other wise its plays 2.0 spread across all channels. Second if the signals are decoaded at the soundcard level who said they canot be transmitted over SPDIF in it's full 6 channels and can only be transfered via analog cables. I use a coaxial cable to transmit full 6 channels over to my altec through SPDIF on my sound card, presumably without any signal loss.

I'm telling you that you cannot transmit 6 channel PCM audio over SPDIF. Now you may be using the DD ProLogic upmixing and getting 5.1 sound out of that but it's not true 5.1. Only the new HDMI standard can transmit full uncompressed audio over 6 channels.

As for the poster who gets the no digital output, what motherboard are you using? Most probably, even if it has digital output, it won't have Optical output. You need to get a RCA to 1/8" converter and then an RCA COAX cable.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
@sam9s :):):)

[FONT=&quot]to be precise DAC is most important element of sound card/processing.DAC processes the sound exiting the soundcard into frequencies the human ear can hear and understand. if DAC is not efficient then whole audio goes coming out of soundcard goes crap.

[/FONT]

what really differentiates sound quality is better DAC. M-AUDIO revo sounds better than most XI-FI's primarily because of better DAC's in m-audio.

professionals better use soundcards digital out to a external DAC ...

better google out for more links

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
goobimama said:
I'm telling you that you cannot transmit 6 channel PCM audio over SPDIF. Now you may be using the DD ProLogic upmixing and getting 5.1 sound out of that but it's not true 5.1. Only the new HDMI standard can transmit full uncompressed audio over 6 channels.

As for the poster who gets the no digital output, what motherboard are you using? Most probably, even if it has digital output, it won't have Optical output. You need to get a RCA to 1/8" converter and then an RCA COAX cable.

Well After doing a bit of research and enabling dignostic mode over my logitech z5500 control dock. I found out that unless I bypass the decoding signal from speaker to soundcard I get only stereo. And I did a bit of research on that and found that in order to get 5.1 through optical you need to have a card that can upmix the sound to 5.1 in digital optical...currently atleast all creative cards can do this only over analog and not over digital. If you wish to have 5.1 over TOSLINK or COAX you need to buy a card that supports this upmixing. Some cards that do this are
Blue Gears X-Mystique or Turtle Beach Montenegro. So goobimama is perfectly correct in his statement. (Guess I have to bypass the digital signal to z-5500 in order to get 5.1...btw i tried bypassing signal directly to the speaker to decode and x-fi doing the decoding...for dts...there was'nt much of a difference over the quality of the output.)

goobimama

 Macboy
^ What's so confusing to you? You yourself are decoding your DD/DTS using your Altec. So there will be absolutely no difference using an ultra high end card or a cheapest of the cheap card as long as you are using SPDIF passthrough.

Btw, I'm getting an Auzentech X-Plosion which has realtime DD/DTS upmixing...am really excited about it! 4 days to go!

thrash_metal

In the zone
Okey heres my 2 cents on the topic

Z5500 -> close eyes and buy !

I've had this system for over an year and theres not 1 instance where i am dissapointed . Ive been in the sound business for over 5 years and ive come across a gazillion systems .... the Z5500 rocks ! Ive even used it for recording and mastering tracks and its worth the dime and very close to profesional monitors in that range .

i've had it paired up with an Audigy 2ZS platinum pro and after the setup its just beautiful ... it beats (in terms of tonality) even the Home Theater reciever systems worth more than 50k , i own a Sony DAV-DZ750K system which is twice the power of the Z5500 and still i find the Z5500 killing it in terms of tone .

As far as the SPDIF war going on , The control center / reciever on the Z5500 is just great .. and on the creative decoding side the problem is the cables .. get a good set of cables -> monster perfered and the quality improves round 20 - 30% not more .... verdict -> control center rules !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom