best 5.1 channel speakers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrash_metal

In the zone
if u have ears to tune ur setup ... u can make it work better anyday .

(when i got it)

Z5500 + audigy 2ZS platinum pro = 28k + 16k = 44k ...... not so cheap either ...

+ cables (5k)

@gobimama ....... nice to hear people using monster cables . U got any soundproofing over at ur place ?

ps : heres a little info

just dont go by the power ouput of the systems , its the combination of power and proper sound reproduction that the system comes out on top .

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
thrash_metal said:
i've had it paired up with an Audigy 2ZS platinum pro and after the setup its just beautiful ... it beats (in terms of tonality) even the Home Theater reciever systems worth more than 50k , i own a Sony DAV-DZ750K system which is twice the power of the Z5500 and still i find the Z5500 killing it in terms of tone .

50k....50k...true only if u compare z 5500 with roadside equipment like sony /samsung/panasonic...............

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
sam9s said:
I respect your enthu on 5500, must be good, as I said I havent heard 5500. But you went little too far saying it would even beat a 50 K system. z5500 or any comercial audio system does not even come close or I would say is MILES behind to a professional audiophile setup like DENON or HARMAN KADRON you can get for 50K.(which BTW is the entry level for a decent audio setup from these brands.)

exactly sam...

a jamo+ Marantz PM4001 beats the crap out of any pc speaker for much less than 50k....:D:D:D

nightcrawler

Broken In
Even I agree that Z5500 is not in the class of professional audio systems some of the stereo pro systems start at 50K. And I have heard some at an expo in Mumbai and they were really amazing. Though I must say Z5500 is the best one for PC/XBox/PS2/3 systems.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
thrash_metal said:
just dont go by the power ouput of the systems , its the combination of power and proper sound reproduction that the system comes out on top .

true........but still people have rms syndrome .40w power per channel is more than enough.

btw. THD for rms also means a lot...

juggler

In the zone
What about Altec lansing 251 speakers
they are available for 3300 Rs.
I think they are the most vfm speakers available

goobimama

 Macboy
Whatever dude. Don't you think it's a little wrong to judge by which brand makes the speakers? You haven't heard the Z5500, then it ends there. My friend has got a 38 lakh worth home theatre system (Thiel floorstanders, denon amps, CD transports, stuff like that), surely it has impressive sound, but I get the same effect while watching a movie on the Logitech. Surely not the same, but it is somewhere there. Even my other friends say the same and not just to please me.

10% THD. Didn't you just say numbers don't mean everything?

goobimama

 Macboy
Hmm. I was planning on Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for my Mac (not the GMX, that sucks). But then are a lot of mixed reviews for those speakers and the Promedia Ultra are said to fail very quickly (1 year and then kaput). Still undecided on what to get for the mac (using the internal speakers. Amazing!)

Just watched Transformers with 1.5Mbps DTS track using the Logitech Decoder (SPDIF). Out of this world!

Forgot to mention, I got this Auzentech X-plosion card with DD Live and DTS interative. The sound quality is amazing. Blows the Audigy 2 ZS out of the water. It takes any audio and converts it to 1.5Mbps DTS or 640kbps DD in realtime. Passed on to the Logitech Decoder via Optical TOSLINK cable. MP3s sound full and clear much like a DD/DTS track. It does not however have a decoder onboard so I have to use either a software decoder like Cyberlink, or my personal favourite, Logitech Control Center.

Setup was real easy, and while the software doesn't look as good as Creative's, it's configuration was super easy. I used to take hours to figure out how to get the SPDIF thing working properly....

Last edited:

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
I really don’t understand what this digital fuss is all about

Digital connection is good:

Until we have to transmit audio over a distance

Until we have a high end receiver….Most good receivers start with 500$ & above

How are we expecting Logitech to pack up every good component in z 5500 when a decent entry level audiophile amp from Marantz retails for somewhat 18-20k

As a matter of fact digital inputs on z 5500 were not even designed to be used with decent pc soundcards. Digital inputs on z 5500 were designed to be used with DVD players, HTS, consoles where quality of DAC over analog is susceptible….

If a person has anything better than audigy like revo, xplosion, prodigy 7.1, xifi then he must use analog connections with z5500 as there is no chance that DAC on z5500 receiver is better ……

Another thing..people around the globe with decent audiophile setups like jamo+NAD+EMU0404 find it really difficult to differentiate between a 320kbps MP3 & a cd track so what is the question of 640kbps over digital and all….

Now coming to so called “loss” over analog .

Until cable wires are small there is no loss of signal that a “consumer equipment can ever discover”

Until u have a decent consumer equipment don’t expect it to pick up interference from PCI bus…

goobimama

 Macboy
The X-Plosion cannot decode DD/DTS signals. It can only encode DD/DTS. And since it is a PC soundcard, you can see where this is going. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. I'm guessing it's because the Logitech decoder knows what speakers it is powering and does a good job at that.

Also there far less wires to deal with. In a world plagued by wires, it becomes much more comfortable to have one wire instead of three.

As for movie soundtracks being 1.5mbps, you see, it makes a difference because that 1.5mbps is split over 6 channels unlike a CD which is just 2 channels. So in high action scenes, if you use a 448kbps DD track against a 1.5mbps DTS track, the difference is obvious.

sushrukh

Banned
goobimama said:
The X-Plosion cannot decode DD/DTS signals. It can only encode DD/DTS. And since it is a PC soundcard, you can see where this is going. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. I'm guessing it's because the Logitech decoder knows what speakers it is powering and does a good job at that.

Also there far less wires to deal with. In a world plagued by wires, it becomes much more comfortable to have one wire instead of three.

As for movie soundtracks being 1.5mbps, you see, it makes a difference because that 1.5mbps is split over 6 channels unlike a CD which is just 2 channels. So in high action scenes, if you use a 448kbps DD track against a 1.5mbps DTS track, the difference is obvious.

Goobimama, i've bought the Z5500D few days ago after seeing a lot of online reviews & also seeing your posts & experiences with it.My question to you, is where can i get the Digital cable (Optical or Co-axial) in Kolkata or do you know any website in India or aboard which can ship the cable to me in Kolkata.I can't find it in my city.The speaker set should have come with the digital cables too as it has costed me exactly 20K.

And also could you please tell me where can i buy the Auzentech Xplosion card from ? Any online retailer ?

Thanks in advance. :)

pawsingh

>>----------->
I bought Z5500 yesterday and would like to thank everyone here for there suggestions and reviews.

Currently, I am using them with my onboard sound card and they sound awesome. Will by a soundcard later.

I have the same question as what sushrukh asked. Can some one give me a link from where i can buy a gud optical cable as i want to attach my PS2 and DVD player with Z5500.

I found the following on ebay.in, is this what i need?
*cgi.ebay.in/Optical-SPDIF-Audio-Ca...ryZ14966QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

goobimama

 Macboy
Go to any pro audio shop and you should find optical cables there. I bought mine (Monster THX certified) from abroad, but any optical cable should do just fine. Only make sure your soundcard supports optical cables. (that one on ebay seems to be the right one)

As for coax, if you are planning to use it with the Audigy, then you will need one of those 1/8 miniplug to RCA converters. Then you need a good quality RCA cable available at an audio shop..

As for the Auzentech, I had to get it from canada cause it's not available out here. However, Auzentech offers shipping to India, only thing it almost doubles the cost ($160 or something). I got mine for 134 Canadian dollars.

@pawsingh: Gotta get off that onboard sound dude!

thrash_metal

In the zone
For cables order from amazon or goto the cables website and check their indian dealers .

ps : "best 5.1 system" can be anything ... i could get smthing absolutely-after-i-marry-a-rich-girl kinda custom made system from a mega - audio - maker and kick any other system you are currently talking about in the face ... so the war is endless . The point is Z5500 is a great product and so long as you are not looking out of the basic PC market.. which most of the people dont ... this one rules . And also upper-mid range systems from most of the brands are very good in their own perspectives ... lower end/entry level systems well dont do justice , still fine enough . my neighbour owns a Bose system worth 3-4 lakhs (bought years ago) and also own a Z5500 .. he himself says comparison is quite similar .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom