Benchmarks for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
Not bottlenecked at 3x1080p? Good point but it really isn't practical. Especially since most nVidia cards come with only 2xDVI outputs and we don't normally benchmark SLI set-ups. As I pointed out earlier, the benchmarks are for all cards, from the humble 520 to the 7970 and beyond.

Also, if you're going to get a 100fps at 1080p you can rest assured the card is quite capable.

Regarding the X79 and RAM, I never meant it that way. Sorry. What I wanted to say was that we got our brand new X79 and ASUS HD7970, excitedly set up the whole rig, and then realised that all our 2133MHz, triple channel kits had 1 dead module. :D

We are getting replacements and will inform you guys what we get when we get it. I actually do want to check out for myself if single channel, dual channel and so on makes any appreciable difference in performance. A story for another time.

Unigene is a synthetic benchmark, it is meant to stress all aspects of the system. The fact that AMD cannot handle extreme levels of tessellation is a short-coming on their part. Its not like physx or something which is nVidia specific. That said, we do run 2 tests with Unigene, one maxxed out and one at 720p and no tessellation, with more weightage being given to the 720p score as it is run across all cards.

Anyway, that is what we normally do and this is a new year, so, new tests.

To get this sorted, what would you guys suggest, we ignore the fact that AMD hasn't handled tessellation as well as nVidia, in an extreme situation no doubt, but one that matters for high-end gaming, and completely leave anything more than moderate tesselation out of all our tests? In fact, do you think it is alright to leave Crysis 2 as long as there is no tesselation?

What we do normally is run a standard set of tests across all graphics cards, at medium settings, for reference. Then, we run some tests at low settings for the low to lower-mid range cards and then some higher-resolution tests for higher-mid range cards onwards. Should we include extreme tessellation in these tests or not and why?

tkin

Back to school!!
Add:
Civilization 5(advanced DX11 features still not implemented in any other games).
Metro 2033(still a game that can't run well on even a 7970, scales absolutely well with multigpu, all the way up to trisli or trifire)
Switch F1 with Dirt 3, more people play Dirt 3 than F1(hell boring game), same engine, but won't hurt to choose Dirt 3
Arkham City(don't test Physx, whole code is bugged as hell)
BF3, because its there :p
Also: Fluid simulation sample in the DirectX SDK: To test compute, this gen of GPUs are all about compute.
Also Texture decompression in Rage, to test compute.

Do keep Crysis 2, it doesn't matter whether it tesselates the whole map or not, its a standard feature, if nVidia does well on it, that does not disqualify it as a benchmark, you could gladly include any game that does well on AMD due to any standard feature set.

In the end, Crysis 2 is the best looking game in 2011, and prety much competes head to head with Metro 2033/Crysis. And also most well known sites use Crysis 2.

Rage to test OpenGL implementation.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unigene is a synthetic benchmark, it is meant to stress all aspects of the system. The fact that AMD cannot handle extreme levels of tessellation is a short-coming on their part. Its not like physx or something which is nVidia specific. That said, we do run 2 tests with Unigene, one maxxed out and one at 720p and no tessellation, with more weightage being given to the 720p score as it is run across all cards.

Anyway, that is what we normally do and this is a new year, so, new tests.

To get this sorted, what would you guys suggest, we ignore the fact that AMD hasn't handled tessellation as well as nVidia, in an extreme situation no doubt, but one that matters for high-end gaming, and completely leave anything more than moderate tesselation out of all our tests? In fact, do you think it is alright to leave Crysis 2 as long as there is no tesselation?
well, if you pick up HD 7900 series card now....it handles extreme tesselation better than GTX 580 as well. Shall easily win in each Unigine Heaven, Civilization V and Crysis 2 with Extreme Tesselation enabled.
My only gripe with Crysis 2 was, yes - they are using extreme tesselation....but not to make things look better. Rather to waste GPU power.

In Unigine Heaven and Civilization V (I have the game), at least I can see the effect of "extreme."

You guys should note that Unigine Heaven 2.5, based on your logic, should not be included: it does 3x more tessellation work than CE3. Literally everything is tessellated. Does that not make the benchmark biased (based on your logic)?
No, not at all. I can see what's happening at least. Stones and buldings start to look better in Unigine Heaven. Civilization V starts to look aesthetically better.

Also Texture decompression in Rage, to test compute.
Civilization V's texture decompression would be better.

tkin

Back to school!!
well, if you pick up HD 7900 series card now....it handles extreme tesselation better than GTX 580 as well. Shall easily win in each Unigine Heaven, Civilization V and Crysis 2 with Extreme Tesselation enabled.
My only gripe with Crysis 2 was, yes - they are using extreme tesselation....but not to make things look better. Rather to waste GPU power.

In Unigine Heaven and Civilization V (I have the game), at least I can see the effect of "extreme."

No, not at all. I can see what's happening at least. Stones and buldings start to look better in Unigine Heaven. Civilization V starts to look aesthetically better.

Civilization V's texture decompression would be better.
I already said Civ 5, I just love Rage, that's why :p

Plus Rage is OpenGL, so one more reason to see which devs support openGL better.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I agree with tkin. ico, you're missing the point completely. just because it is a coding limitation where AMD gets rear-ended pre-7 series, it does not make the game biased. while you can say that you are not seeing any benefit, you should blame microsoft.

did crytek have knowledge of how DX11 will turn out when they made CE2 (its rhetoric, so dont answer)? how could they have planned to avert programming shortcomings before the technology got released to them?

besides, why would TD/9.9 media do too many 6-series tests any way? Now that 7 series cards are out, they would be testing 7 series cards rather than the oldies?

IMO this would be favouring AMD. especially now that the 7 series are out.
believe me, such a step can also affect reviewer credibility in the opinions of some people. I do not like many HardOCP reviews for this reason: the settings across all platforms are not even for comparision, and more often than not, they dont use standardized bench tools. they choose to run around the map as the character (this changes the scenario in every runtime).

Regarding the X79 and RAM, I never meant it that way. Sorry. What I wanted to say was that we got our brand new X79 and ASUS HD7970, excitedly set up the whole rig, and then realised that all our 2133MHz, triple channel kits had 1 dead module.

now this is voodoo (3dfx pun not intended).

This is why I wanted Crysis 2 to be included.

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer
what I am going to suggest is not exactly gaming cards are built to do.. but all students use this for learning and even many individual professionals do too.. So could you benchmark it..

cards best work with Max and Maya

old version use it in just view port but now it can used for rendering too so check that too..

even Adobe photohsop and after effects as Adobe directly supports this gaming cards for use in it softwares.

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
extreme gamers point on cyteks engine system seems right.he aint arguing over whether crysis 2 should be kickked out of benchmark set or not but rather his excuse defends the crysis 2 tess system in independent context. am i right @extremegamer??

keep crysis 2 .

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
Hmm....
What I'll do tomorrow is, I'll set up the ASUS 7970 and then spend the whole day throwing every possible benchmark at it. We can sit and analyze the results at our leisure and see if there are any abnormal results, CPU bottlenecks and stuff like that.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
Sorry for the delay. Should have replied sooner, but it is getting to issue closing and things are getting a bit hectic. :D

Quick update: Ran a lot of benchmarks, switched F1 2011 with Dirt 3, couldn't run Metro 2033 since we don't have a copy of the game but we are trying to arrange one. Also, since our test rig has changed, we're running some benchmarks again with the 6990 for reference. Will update once that is complete. Will take a while and again, apologies for the delay.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
Just a small update, as you guys must have already noticed, we also got our hands on the gtx680 courtesy of Zotac.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
From where they are getting the ASUS 7970 at 38k, its much cheaper I think.

If I can actually use the word "cheap".

tkin

Back to school!!
From where they are getting the ASUS 7970 at 38k, its much cheaper I think.

If I can actually use the word "cheap".
No, asus 7970 is 38k, asus cards always cost more, msi/sapphire goes for 34-36k.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
ASUS 7970 is 35.5k in PrimeABGB. Street price might be slightly lesser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom