Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SagarS

Right off the assembly line
Thank You very much for having a look and replying to my post. Subsequent to your comments and a bit more research on similar configuration on ThinkDigit Forum and other forums, I have almost finalised my Configuration.

No it doesn't make sense to pay extra for the mobp, unless you are looking for more RAM slots.
Go for GAP55 M-UD2 as you don't need any SLI or X-Fire.

I Will go for Gigabyte GAP55 M-UD2. @ Techalomaniac, It has 4 RAM Slots. That is enough for me.

@ SagarS
Get Palit GTS250 for 7.3K instead of HD4850

@ SagarS Get GTS250 512MB as damngoodman999 said

For a workstation, get Quadro FX based GPU's. They were specifically designed for 3D Works that you've mentioned and you can extract the full potential of the cards while at work.
A Leadtek Quadro FX380 256MB DDR3 - 6.1k (or)
A Leadtek Quadro FX580 512MB DDR3 - 9k

Source :
*www.lynx-india.com/beta/index.php?productID=6292
*www.lynx-india.com/beta/index.php?productID=6291

HD4850 wont do justice to your 24 inch screen. HD4850 is good upto 20 inch. More than that would require a better GPU. Something like GTX275 or HD4890.

The quadro series have the same xerox copy architecture as the GTX series of nVidia only the drivers are different. So not point wasting money on a Quadro. They are expensive to say the least. Better get GTX 275, would be good for your 24 inch monitor and would suite your work!

After reading this suggestions, I did a bit more research on Quadro and FirePro graphic cards for workstations. And, it seems that these Graphic Cards are better suited to my needs.I will not be playing games. And will not be watching movies on a regular basis, but very rarely. So, I have opted for ATI FirePro V3750 for my needs. ATI FirePro 3xxx series is better suited than Quadro Series cards for Autodesk Revit Architecture 2009 and AutoCad. Morever FirePro series cards give more Value for Money.

@ SagarS get a better PSU, just to be safe. The GlacialPower 650W is available for Rs. 4.5k. Try www.itwares.com and check for availability, if not, then get it shipped from www.lynx-india.com.

No idea, but as a precautionary step, go for What Techalomaniac suggests. A Glacialpower 600W - 4.5k (or) get the Tagan TG600-U37 600W PSU for 4.2k.

After reading a few threads, I did a little calculation of my system at *extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to get an idea of power requirement. With the current hardware, the requirement is around 245 W at 85% TDP and 90% System Load.

At, 100% TDP and 100% System load it is around 290 W. If I overclock the CPU at around 3500 MHz, add another Hard Disk, DVD Drive and 2 sticks of DDR 3 RAM, the wattage requirement at 100% TDP and 100% System Load is 375 W.

Considering, Corsair VX450 gives about 390 W in 12V Rails, I think this PSU should be sufficeint. Am I missing something?

However, if I switch to PC Radeon 4870 1GB, the power requirement increases to 455 W with overclocking and 100% TDP & System Load. Assuming, I have to go for PC Radeon 4870 1 GB, and Corsair VX550 is out of budget, is Tagan TG600-U37 600W PSU good enough and reliable product?

Another Query I had was regarding Cabinet and Fans. Cooler Master CM 690 has 2 Fans included. Do I need any other optional fan / cooling system to cool it? If yes, which brand / specification should I buy?

Also stick with WD Caviar Blue rather than Green. Because Green one's are slower than Blue or Black!

I am going for 500 GB x 2 HDD - WD Cavier Blue and Black Series (1 each)

Dell S2409W is available for Rs. 12750 @ techenclave.

24" Monitors were going a bit out of Budget. So I have settled for 22" Monitors. Since, this is mostly work related, I would have preferred 4:3 aspect ratio LCD Monitors. But they are probably not available, at least not affordable ones. Thes Best I can find is 16:10. I have kept 3 models in mind - AOC 2216SW, AOC 2230FM and Samsung 2233SW, whichever fits the budget. If there are any 24" LCD Monitor with 4:3 or 16:10 ration at around 14-15k, please let me know.

Altec Lansing BXR1121 should do the job.

Will be looking for that model.

And, In addition, will be purchasing WD MyBook Essential 1 TB.

Try www.itwares.com and check for availability, if not, then get it shipped from www.lynx-india.com.

Thansk for the Links. I have enquired at TheITWares and another couple of locations at Lamington Road.

Finally, this is my revised configuration

1. CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66 GHz
2. Motherboard - Gigabyte GAP55 M-UD2
3. GPU - ATI FirePro V3750 256 MB
4. RAM - Corsair Dual Channel DDR 3 1333 MHz 2 x 2GB
5. HDD - WD 500 GB Cavier Blue Series + WD 500 GB Cavier Black Series
6. Monitor - Samsung 2233 / AOC 2216S / AOC 2230FM
7. SMPS - Corsair VX450 450W
8. Cabinet - Cooler Master CM 690
9. DVD Writer - Samsung DVD-CD RW Combo
10. Speakers - Altec Lansing BXR1121
11. External HDD - Western Digital MyBook Essential 1 TB

And again, Thank You very much for replying to my post and having patience to read this long post.

Also, Thank You Very Much in Advance for any help or advice in this matter.

Krow

Crowman
@ SagarS The config looks fine to me. Best buy some additional fans for the CM690. You can fit in about 7 fans in the cabby, but you may have a look at the setup and buy accordingly for better airflow that is. Also, since you are gonna be working long hours on the rig, have you considered whether you need a CPU cooler? It will help you OC and also reduces temps, which increases product life and performance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hi all,

any idea how much do blu-ray internal drives cost in mumbai
and which one is the best?

thanks

Asus has one Blue ray rom and DVD RW combo drive which is around Rs. 5K

LG has one called GGC-H20LK. It's a DVD RW Blue Ray/HD DVD ROM combo drive and priced around Rs. 7-8K

Krow

Crowman
^Good question. How much does a Blu-ray blank cost? I know for a fact that like international movie DVD's cost around 500bucks (non-moserbaer), Blu-Ray movies cost 1500 bucks.

The Replica

Right off the assembly line
I needed a new rig within 28k. It'll be mainly used as a home PC with light gaming, movie, browsing net & encoding.

I did some initial research & came up with the following components:

Proccy: Athlon2 X4 620.
Mobo: Biostar TA785GE 128M.
Ram: 2 X 2Gb from Kingston or Zion.
HDD: 500Gb WDC else Seagate 7200.12 series.
Cabby: Zebronics Antibiotic.
Monitor: Benq G2220 Full HD.
Kb: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 (I need 2 lot of typing work).

Will the following configuration come within 28k? & any suggestion will be really appreciated. DVD writer, Mouse, Speaker i'll get it myself or from my old rig thats breathing its last breaths.
I also got a few question:

1) How is the bundled 400W PSU that comes with the Case? If i don't overclock or add a GFX card will it be enough for this rig?

2) How is the performance of the Biostar A785G in comparison to TA785GE?

I'll get this rig in the 1st week of December or by November last.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Phenom II X2 245 @ 3.5k
ASUS M3A78-EM @ 4.6k
2GB DDR2 @ 1.4k
Samsung 943NWX 19" @ 7.5k
Zebronics Reaper @ 2k
Gigabyte 460W @ around 2.5k / Zebronics Platinum 500W @ 2k
Altec Lansing BXR1121 @ 1.2k

Total - 22.7

Sapphire HD4670 512MB GDDR3 @ 4.3k

Total - 27k (If you game a lot, then go for HD4670, or else the 780G IGP is enuff for moderate gaming)

Also suggest intel counterpart

anuragingle

Broken In
@desiibond

dont have right now, but my new rig will come on saturday and will get some blu-ray disks from planetm

@techalomaniac
planetm has blu ray movie disks starting from 950 bucks

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
@ CadCrazy Intel counterpart will be an outgoing part. Socket 775 is being replaced and soon what you buy today will be extinct. Better buy AMD for your budget and needs, which also happens to have a solid upgrade path. I recommend you up your budget a bit and get the ASUS M4A785G-TD-V EVO board for 6.7k with DDR3 RAm as apparently DDR2 is both expensive and non-future proof.

anuragingle

Broken In
^i enquired at lamington road, combo drives were being quoted at 9000 and above

@topgear
got the sony BDU-X10S from techenclave members market,
Pair it up with a samsung DVD writer for 1100 and for 4700 i get a blu-ray combo drive :)

punkkummander

Broken In
hi there.forgive me for not being as enlightned as u guys. but i have a prob and i hope u help me out!
u see, i ve been ripped off by dealers wen i bought my last 2 pc's and im getting a new one. and i wanted to ask u ppl to recommend some components . cud u pls recommend a gfx card and 22" monitor combo which go well and compliment each other for around 16 to 18 k cuz frankly i cant understand their relationship and a suitable cabinet for the gfx card which isnt too cosly and a future proof mother board and proccessor combo for 8 to 10 k. it'll be used for gaming! thanks and any help would be appreciated and sorry 4 th trouble

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
let's say that you have 18k+10k for cpu+mobo+GPU+ram+Display (total: 28k)

AMD Athlon II X2 240: 3.5k or Athlon II X4 630: 5.5k
Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H: 4.2k or Gigabyte's 785G based board: 5.5k(takes ddr3 ram)
2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM: 3k-3.5k or Transcend 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz ram: 4.5k-5k
Samsung 2233SW FullHD: 9.5k
Corsair VX450W PSU: 4k or GlacialPower 650AA: 4.5k (you need these if you are going for mid-range GPU)

total till here is minimum of 22.5k

now, wait for HD5770's price to reduce to 8k (which should happen in a month or two) and grab it. Till then stick to onboard GPU or any old GPU if you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom