Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
OK, i got ur point.:-D
4get future proof thing.:lol:
Suggest me a config. of a budget of 19,000.
Leave d monitor, Mice, Key brd. & UPS.

thanks in advance8)

AMD phenom 2 X2 550 = 5.4K
Asus M3A78-EM / Gigabyte 780G chipset /Biostar 790GX => 4.5K
2GB Transcend 800Mhz =>1.2K
LG DVD/RW 20X => 1.1K
500GB seagate =>2.7K
Zebronics cabinet w/450watts =>2K

17K total

Palit 9500GT super grafix card 2.7K [ decent grafix card ]

Total =>19.7K

mkumar

Broken In
AMD phenom 2 X2 550 = 5.4K
Asus M3A78-EM / Gigabyte 780G chipset /Biostar 790GX => 4.5K
2GB Transcend 800Mhz =>1.2K
LG DVD/RW 20X => 1.1K
500GB seagate =>2.7K
Zebronics cabinet w/450watts =>2K

17K total

Palit 9500GT super grafix card 2.7K [ decent grafix card ]

Total =>19.7K

That sounds Fine 2 me
If i want DDR3 ram does d above Config. supports.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
That sounds Fine 2 me
If i want DDR3 ram does d above Config. supports.

DDR3 Ram

Biostar TA790GX A3+ 5.x

Comes around 7K-8K [ this board is not good not the stable one ]

All other DDR3 Supporting boards comes with 790FX chipset which costs more than 9K

ASUS M4A78T-E board comes with DDR3 support 790GX which costs 9K [This one is good ]

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@damngoodman999, 770G chipset based boards are now available. These are DDR3+AM3 boards and are priced at 4.5k-6k

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
MSI 770-C35 is availble for 4.5k-5k and support DDR3 dual channel ram (4 slots)
forgot model number of Gigabyte's 770G based board.

bippukt

In the zone
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my almost 4 year old PC. I want to buy only a new graphics card, but I am not sure if my RAM/CPU/PSU will allow it. The configuration of my current PC is (bought in 2005, Motherboard+RAM+GPU upgraded 2007):

-Intel 945GCL
-Intel P4 3.0 GHz (HT enabled)
-1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
-Local PSU (Cabinet + PSU cost = 1400 only)
-80 GB + 160 GB SATA HDDs
-Nvidia 7300 GT 512 MB
-LG 19" LCD display (L192WS, I think) (1440X900 max resolution)
-LG DVD writer

So, is there any way I can get away with just upgrading my graphics card (and maybe the PSU)? Or do I have to add 1 GB more RAM. Or maybe I need a new motherboard. In the worst case scenario, do I need a new processor to take advantage of the improved GPU?

If only GPU upgrade is required, I am considering HD 4850 or GTS 260 or 9800 GTX+. Which one would be the best for me? Is a new PSU required?

If I cannot escape upgrading my CPU, then what is your suggestion? Do I need to upgrade my mobo as well? This will mean an almost complete overhaul of my PC, as a new mobo+DDR3 RAM+CPU+GPU+PSU combination will be needed?

My preference is definitely for a GPU upgrade only. This is a pretty open ended question, so please feel free to answer as you wish. Don't go strictly by my questions :)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my almost 4 year old PC. I want to buy only a new graphics card, but I am not sure if my RAM/CPU/PSU will allow it. The configuration of my current PC is (bought in 2005, Motherboard+RAM+GPU upgraded 2007):

-Intel 945GCL
-Intel P4 3.0 GHz (HT enabled)
-1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
-Local PSU (Cabinet + PSU cost = 1400 only)
-80 GB + 160 GB SATA HDDs
-Nvidia 7300 GT 512 MB
-LG 19" LCD display (L192WS, I think) (1440X900 max resolution)
-LG DVD writer

So, is there any way I can get away with just upgrading my graphics card (and maybe the PSU)? Or do I have to add 1 GB more RAM. Or maybe I need a new motherboard. In the worst case scenario, do I need a new processor to take advantage of the improved GPU?
You have the answer in ur question itself. As perur suggestions, say a GTX260 becomes unusable w/o a competing CPU. So i suggest you to change the Proccy and PSU too.
If only GPU upgrade is required, I am considering HD 4850 or GTS 260 or 9800 GTX+. Which one would be the best for me? Is a new PSU required?

If I cannot escape upgrading my CPU, then what is your suggestion? Do I need to upgrade my mobo as well? This will mean an almost complete overhaul of my PC, as a new mobo+DDR3 RAM+CPU+GPU+PSU combination will be needed?

My preference is definitely for a GPU upgrade only. This is a pretty open ended question, so please feel free to answer as you wish. Don't go strictly by my questions :)

You dont need a complete overhaul.just add a new proccy,gfx,gpu and some memory.
A E7400/E8400
GTX260
2x2GB RAM(Remove the 1GB and keep it safe as a backup)
a CM600W or Zebronics 600W Gamer series.

bippukt

In the zone
You have the answer in ur question itself. As perur suggestions, say a GTX260 becomes unusable w/o a competing CPU. So i suggest you to change the Proccy and PSU too.

You dont need a complete overhaul.just add a new proccy,gfx,gpu and some memory.
A E7400/E8400
GTX260
2x2GB RAM(Remove the 1GB and keep it safe as a backup)
a CM600W or Zebronics 600W Gamer series.

As an aside, does an HD4850 card require a separate power connector?

How much of a performance boost could I get by getting an HD4850 gfx card only? If it is substantial, I am willing to go for it without upgrading CPU/RAM. When my current processor runs out (it's 4 years old and I have taxed it very heavily!), then I could just upgrade the CPU/mobo/RAM and use that same HD4850 gfx card. Will that be a sensible decision?

Also, the problem with only upgrading the processor+increasing RAM is that my mobo will only support DDR2 RAM. Why spend money on 667 MHz when you can get 1333 MHz for a similar price? I am not at all sure about upgrading Processor+RAM without upgrading the mobo as well. Please comment on this.

This brings me back to the option of upgrading my gfx card only. But that will make sense only if there will be a meaningful increase in performance.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
HD4850 requires separate power connector.

I too was in a similar situation. Had athlon64 single core processor running at 2.3GHz and bought HD4770 and it the processor was a too much of a bottleneck and I couldn't see much increase in performance over HD2600XT.

Then when I bought X2 7750BE, the performance kicked in and am playing all games at high settings (reso: 1440x900)

bippukt

In the zone
I know that there will be some bottlenecks, but what would be interesting to know would be as to how much of a bottleneck will there be. If it isn't too much, meaning that HD4850 or GTS250 or 9800 GTX+ would be able to give decent performance, like running Crysis on high details at 1440X900 resolution, I would be happy to wait until I have the money to upgrade my mobo+CPU+RAM.

The advantage of this is that my HD4850 will still be pretty solid 6 months later when I do have a better CPU. If I choose to upgrade the motherboard+CPU+RAM first instead, the increase in performance in graphics will be negligible IMO.

But this will only work if there will be a significant improvement in graphics by just upgrading the gfx card, which will give me good-very good graphics for 6 months when I will be able to upgrade the CPU as well. After all, graphics card get "obsolete" much faster than CPUs, as far as gaming is concerned. I would like other people's suggestions in this regard.

PS - It's a pity I can't open a new thread. That would probably get more replies.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
If it isn't too much, meaning that HD4850 or GTS250 or 9800 GTX+ would be able to give decent performance, like running Crysis on high details at 1440X900 resolution, I would be happy to wait until I have the money to upgrade my mobo+CPU+RAM.
You have a very good sense of humour. Playing crysis at the mentioned settings with a P4 HT proccy.That is a real good joke.:D :D (No offense meant on u dude)

A good gfx card w/o a suitable proccy is like filling petrol car with diesel. It stinks and no use.So if u want to get the gfx cardsu mentioned, u must go for a CPU upgrade.

Forgot HD4850. GTS250 performs neck-to-neck with it. As desiibond said, changing gfx card w/o having a good proccy is lameness. You wont extract the full potential of that card.No need to go for a mobo upgrade as ur current one do good since u r not going to use it suking IGP. AFA RAM,from where do u get a 1333MHz DDR2 RAM. I need one too... :D

And the performance difference between a P4+new gfx and C2D+new gfx is wide. You dont push max with the rotten proccy, which i had earlier. I used to play GTA4 with the P4 HT 3.72GHz + 7600GT(at the lowest settings), it struggles to play and i got only around 10 - 12 fps. But after changing the CPU to E6600 i got 23-25 fps. Imagine how happy i was. Now its upto you.

acewin

Point Blanc
yup do not push on ur P4, best u can put is a HD4670, anything more than that will be waste, in fact for a P4 gfx card likes of HD4550 is more suitable which have low poer consumption, letting u go with the same PSU too. a good gfx card means u will change to a good PSU too

bippukt

In the zone
You have a very good sense of humour. Playing crysis at the mentioned settings with a P4 HT proccy.That is a real good joke.:D :D (No offense meant on u dude)

A good gfx card w/o a suitable proccy is like filling petrol car with diesel. It stinks and no use.So if u want to get the gfx cardsu mentioned, u must go for a CPU upgrade.

No offence taken - I am more interested in getting my gaming rig right than in worrying about my ego ;-)...Well, I have been reading for years about how it's the graphics card that matters for game and not the CPU, so I thought that maybe, just maybe I could let my P4 run for 6 more months. Apparently not, by what everyone keeps saying.

I have played Crisis on my PC at low settings and it worked fine (except that the details were low). I didn't experience any lag at all. So I thought that if it's only the details that are not good enough, maybe I just need a new graphics card. What is wrong with this line of reasoning?

Forgot HD4850. GTS250 performs neck-to-neck with it. As desiibond said, changing gfx card w/o having a good proccy is lameness. You wont extract the full potential of that card.No need to go for a mobo upgrade as ur current one do good since u r not going to use it suking IGP. AFA RAM,from where do u get a 1333MHz DDR2 RAM. I need one too... :D

lol, if I upgrade my mobo then I will have DDR3 RAM, won't I? I checked my motherboard's compatibility with processors and unfortunately, most of the mainstream C2D processors available now are not compatible with it. So, I think that I will go for a mobo upgrade as well.

yup do not push on ur P4, best u can put is a HD4670, anything more than that will be waste, in fact for a P4 gfx card likes of HD4550 is more suitable which have low poer consumption, letting u go with the same PSU too. a good gfx card means u will change to a good PSU too

Well, that's what everyone keeps saying. I also asked a couple of my tech-guru friends and they were like - get rid of your P4 ASAP! So that's what it's going to be. Irrespective of whether I upgrade my GPU or not, the mobo+CPU+RAM+PSU combo is getting an upgrade.

As for PSU, I need a 450-500W PSU, right?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
No offence taken - I am more interested in getting my gaming rig right than in worrying about my ego ;-)...Well, I have been reading for years about how it's the graphics card that matters for game and not the CPU, so I thought that maybe, just maybe I could let my P4 run for 6 more months. Apparently not, by what everyone keeps saying.

I have played Crisis on my PC at low settings and it worked fine (except that the details were low). I didn't experience any lag at all. So I thought that if it's only the details that are not good enough, maybe I just need a new graphics card. What is wrong with this line of reasoning?

Details doesnt count here. the game crawls with the P4 eventhough u have a luxurious gfx card.Frame rate suffer a lot, Game stuttering occur at times which will be irritating even in little time span.

CPU Doesnt matter for games? .. Then what for the L2 cache considered i gaming? Processing power of CPU + L2 does the magic along with the gfx in line.

As for PSU, I need a 450-500W PSU, right?

If you're going for a GTS250 or HD4850 a 500W will suffice ur needs.For GTX260 and above you need atleast 600W PSU..

mkumar

Broken In
@damngoodman999 said:
Ya just thinking of 790GX chipsets alone , suggest him a good DDR3 board !! also tell which brand has DDR3 with 770GX chipset
@damngoodman999, 770G chipset based boards are now available. These are DDR3+AM3 boards and are priced at 4.5k-6k
Ok. I`ll stretch my budget to 20,000/- for this can i have new Config.
with
DDR 3 ram
Processor 3.0 GHz n above
Graphic card
Thanks in advance

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Ok. I`ll stretch my budget to 20,000/- for this can i have new Config.
with
DDR 3 ram
Processor 3.0 GHz n above
Graphic card
Thanks in advance

DDR3 if u go for high latency & higher mhz of RAM bandwidth then it ll be useful

Then 3Ghz

Now 2 processors are in ur budget - which too good

Intel Core2Duo E8400
AMD phenom 2 940 - these are 3 ghz proccy

But i have to tell u , processor speed isn't a count now a days the more L2 cache or L3cache is essential although many things to consider

there are cheap DDR3 value packs are available with 1333Mhz but going for that u cab go for CORSAIR 800Mhz which truly good
ALL U NEED TO CONSIDER IS ABOUT CPU & GPU first they are going to handle most of the memory u can upgrade later

This config is better with all your

AMD phenom 2 550 => 5.3K
Biostar 790GX 128M => 4.5K or Gigabyte 780G chipset
Sapphire HD4850 => 6.5K
Any cabinet for 1K (only cabinet PSu EXecption )
2GB RAM corsair 1.5K
PSU :- TAGAN TG500-U37 => 3.2K or Cooler master RS500-PCARA3-EU =>2.8K
seagate 250 HDD =>2K

Sorry , just it bit over 20K but with in 22K , u can ask everyone what this RIG can Do , this is the best config for 22K i ever made
This one can play all the games right up to now released :smile::smile::smile:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
AMD phenom 2 550 => 5.3K
Biostar 790GX 128M => 4.5K or Gigabyte 780G chipset
Sapphire HD4850 => 6.5K
-> Instead take GTS250 for around 7k.
Any cabinet for 1K (only cabinet PSu EXecption )
2GB RAM corsair 1.5K
PSU :- TAGAN TG500-U37 => 3.2K or Cooler master RS500-PCARA3-EU =>2.8K
seagate 250 HDD =>2K

I prefer GTS250 over HD4850 since the GTS250 runs cooler than 4850.Also i heard from few of my friends who having a 4850 that, the card runs extremely hot and i myself used GTS250 and found no heat issues or any. Added with that it has the PhysX,which the latest games used to have.The driver support of IDIA is a way better than ATi(Please dont start a debate). If u pick ATi u miss PhysX. Its your call to choose between these two.

raj_v1982

Broken In
i wanted to buy psu for my computer, i can't find crosair or coolermaste psu :(
where can i get coolermaster psu in madurai ???
I asked in premier systems , but they don't have it :( :cry:
they have only zebro pro 500w only :( that to , they give only by order :(
madurai people help me :-(

(sorry for my bad english)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom