Basic Cabinet/CPU ~max 10K

shreyaBling

Broken In
I need to get a cabinet for my dad as my old p-4 has died, google chrome and ms-word will be the softwares ever to be used on it. i need the cheapest thing possible though i will use the FSP saga psu after i read that thread, additionally i have my mercury topaz cabinet can it be re-used?

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:Emailing, net surfing, running ms-office

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10K (max.)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows xp

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: i have a 500 gb hdd

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Nope, have it

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:nothing outside the cabinet

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: no though i wish to, are there any videos out there, else i search for an assembler in nehru place

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: i am in gurgaon so nehru place and online both are great

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

arpit982

Broken In
Intel Dual Core G620 Processor @ 3500

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H Motherboard @ 3100

Crosair 4 GB DDR3 @ 1350

Any standard iBall Cabinet with included SMPS @ 1500

EDIT : Forgot a DVD Drive, Any standard DVD Drive @ 950/1000
Total @ 10450
You can get it cheaper locally
These prices are from flipkart

Last edited:

arpit982

Broken In
RAM can be cut to 2 GB
Corsair 2GB @ ~800 & spend remainder 900 bucks on ODD:wink:

A standard 4GB DDR3 will cost 1250-1350, why save 400 bucks for such a difference in performance.

If the budget is very tight. He can cut on the case and get a cheaper Intex Case under 1k

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Intel Pentium G620 @ 3.3K
ASRock H61M/U3S3 @ 3.4K
Corsair value 4 GB @ 1.2K
GENERIC CABINET @ 0.8K
ASUS DVD RW @ 1.1K
CORSAIR CX430 V2 @ 2.2K
TOTAL @ 12K.
I have Recommended you a Good PSU .

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Because the el cheapo psu's blow up more often than not even when they are under no stress. and you should read this thread:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html

arpit982

Broken In
^ Because the el cheapo psu's blow up more often than not even when they are under no stress. and you should read this thread:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html

do you think his father will overclock to work with word and browsing the internet..?? :p

but sure if he has a good budget... he should get one..

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
Thanks guys,

ASRock H61M/U3S3 isnt available(out of stock) at flipkart so should i go looking for it at nehru place(i noted down few recommended places from this forum) or should i go for what gigabyte one as per arpit,

plus can I re-use my old p4 cabinet...:)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Did you miss this part of the statement=> "even when they are under no stress" ? :p

Forget overclocking, I've had 6 frontech psu's,2 mercury psu's and a VIP psu run out on rigs of tech noobs who do nothing but ms office on their pc's.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@arpit982

You arent getting the point buddy. What Jripper wants to say is that, if the OP buys a simple cheap PSU that comes bundled with the cabinet itself then he would face probs in the near future as these arent the ones which can actually give the exact power to the system what the system needs and would ultimately lead to blow offs. So it is always better to get a Good Psu so that u can be safe in the long run and would have no problems if he further upgrades the system and then there would be no need to change the PSU. One advice try to get sense out of the member's post and then post and think twice before posting.No hard feelings, just an advice..

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
not much to do at this budget i know...but should i freeze "Sainatarajan"'s specs and go hunting or....

plus, what about AMD Athlon II 260 Processor, AMD A4 3300 Processor ...seems to be cheaper than intel processor

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
As for PSu, even though i am pretty much a newbie..heck i am a total newbie...i have read enough and yes faced a tragedy too...so yeah...i am gonna use a good PSU...though i was thinking FSP Saga II 400W is it worth it( read a lot about it in various threads)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@OP lock on to sainatarajan's config and go for it.

Don't go for an APU because while it does offer you way better integrated graphics, the upgrade path is closed if you go for an APU. The FM1 socket won't receive any new apu's of the trinity series since they are going to be for the FM2 socket.

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
thanks ...locked on sainatarajan's config(thanks sainatarajan..:D)
2 things
1. Can i use my old mercury cabinet
2. What about FSP Saga II 400W PSU

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
yes the fsp saga II 400w is good. the corsair cx 430 v2 is better though. And fsp is hard to find these days. atleast here in kolkata.

But if you get both at the same price get the 430v2 from corsair.

And cabinet should not be an issue unless it doesn't fit the size requirements. Good airflow is always helpful but then again not much of that in cheap cabinets anyway.

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ shreyaBling

I would suggest u to better go for Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU rather than the FSP saga II 400v. Corsair, the name itself is enough to specify to get a proper view its quality and its service. So go for the Corsair one and be sure it wont dissapoint u. I personally own the Corsair HX 620 and no issues till now and it had been 1 year. u can get the corsair on frm here.

@ OP

Yes ofcourse u can use it unless all ur components fits into it..

Top Bottom