Bandwidth requirement for BF3

anaklusmos

Youngling
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of buying the BF3 premium package so that i can play online.
Now im gonna be playing from my college hostel on my phone internet , which even though is listed as 3G , gives us 2G speeds (maximum of 20 Kbps i think).

Is it even possible to play on those speeds or should i drop the idea?

PS: I play World of Warcraft on that net and i can easily do most content, except for the big battlegrounds and 25 man raids.

Hrishi

Playing Multiplayer games on 3G/Phone Internet is not a very good idea.
Get ready to be kicked out of servers because of high-latency issue.

When I played lower graphic detailed game like CS1.6 on 3G ~200kBps (My phone had 1.8 Mbps HSPA) , it game me quite high latency of 160-180ms, sometimes even more.

My 1Mbps ADSL broadband gives way better ping.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
3G is ok, s180000rpm uses it. Bf3 is playable upto 200/250,but you cannot play on 2g

Btw you can play online even with bf3 standard edition.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Hey guys,
even though is listed as 3G , gives us 2G speeds (maximum of 20 Kbps i think).

Is it even possible to play on those speeds or should i drop the idea?

Drop the idea if mobile internet is the only solution in your hostel for connection.
leave bf3 mp, even cs or other games are also not possible on 2g. latency issues will be severe.

though a better connection helps, better routing is what that is required for lower pings. so a 256kbps broadband would suffice for good multiplayer experience at minimum level if the routing is good.

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
Dont buy premium . As you can purchase all 3 upcoming dlc @ 599*3 = Rs 1797 which is less than Rs 2699 ( no body play CQ now and will forget it after Coming Dlc ) . Bf3 can be played Till 300 pings but you will face random kick from server with that connection

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
though a better connection helps, better routing is what that is required for lower pings. so a 256kbps broadband would suffice for good multiplayer experience at minimum level if the routing is good.

What do you mean by better routing, and how to improve routing for smooth gaming?

RON28

Cyborg Agent
u can play online...because i played cs 1.6 for a year on my 3.5G(7.2Mbps) with tata docomo 3g...ping was around 100ms...it was a lag free experience. and tower was quite close to my house...near about 1km. :D

and i think IDEA 3G has really good pings...around 80ms with no chokes and losses. :D

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
@OP are you using 2g recharge pack coz i get ~15kBps on idea 3g with 2g pack but with 3g pack it is ~2mbps...
3g connection is good for games like aoe, ron, dota etc but fps and tps like cs, bf3, halo are not playable. so get broadband for bf3 to play it lagg free...

@OP are you using 2g recharge pack coz i get ~15kBps on idea 3g with 2g pack but with 3g pack it is ~2mbps...
3g connection is good for games like aoe, ron, dota etc but fps and tps like cs, bf3, halo are not playable. so get broadband for bf3 to play it lagg free...

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
My dreams have been crushed :( .
Seems BF3 MP is a big NO.
But thanks for clearing up the confusion :) .

PS: MODS u can close this thread

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ which provider are you using currently? I think you need to speak to the CC to get your data plan corrected. if its BSNL then they often goof up. they would change your billing plan to 3G but in the backed you will still be on 2G network .. it happened to me.

just check with CC and get the issue sorted. they cannot advertise 3G on a 2G speed.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Better routing means the routing path deployed by the ISP. Lesser the hops, lesser the ping. Try this this:
Code:
[b]tracert[/b] "game server IP address"

Well.. Thanks.. but here I will get to know about the routing.. How can I change the routing to get better ping..
And also how to reduce the number of packet loss. One of my friend getting heavy lag in online games, though his ping is very good, but packet loss is very high.

try this where ??

In Command prompt..

Top Bottom