Balancing work and gaming.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I've been an avid gamer since I could get my hands on an Atari 2600 controller about 20 or so years ago. I've been a crazy gamer since and I've lapped up as many games as I humanly could over the years. All was fun and games and low grades and backlogs until, by some twisted freak of fate, I landed a job in a pretty good IT company (thanks to my technical skills). Now, the jobs a gruelin' and I am finding it harder to complete the games that I've started and struggling to find a balance between my gaming hobby and working/other things.

Are there any among you who are employed as well as gamers? How do you guys do it?

PS: Posting this from work, look at the time.

icebags

Technomancer
u're on night shift or working day night nonstop lol ?do u get time on weekends ?

may be its time for a change if its really non stop work .....

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I always find balance. But I play only BF3 and few others when new ones are released. The trick is to restrict yourself based on time. I play only from 10 PM - 2 AM , about 4-5 rounds. previously I even on weekends used play only 3-4 hrs. Unless you have strict office timing or you are putting in Overtime on your job you should be fine. Just dedicate limited time for gaming and you will enjoy.

icebags

Technomancer
I always find balance. But I play only BF3 and few others when new ones are released. The trick is to restrict yourself based on time. I play only from 10 PM - 2 AM , about 4-5 rounds. previously I even on weekends used play only 3-4 hrs. Unless you have strict office timing or you are putting in Overtime on your job you should be fine. Just dedicate limited time for gaming and you will enjoy.

sounds good, then it comes to this: :-D

Just think what will happen if a woman comes into your life ?
:razz:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Well the experience will be cut shot by 2 hrs either way ..

EDIT: TBH.. I didn't really think about that.. may be rajesh.s can help.. he has kids too :D and he play for about 2 hrs or 4 rounds.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I am married + working in an IT company (highly reputed :p) and yet I play my games.

my office timings - 11AM - 8PM
Play hours - 7AM - 9AM, 8:30PM - 9PM, 10PM - 11:30PM
Personal/Family hrs - 9AM-10AM, 9PM - 10PM, 11:30PM and beyond.

Now its all about balancing this act and having a very supportive wife.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Find a job for "Game testing"! :D
Answer to all those who are not able to balance games and work! :p

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Find a job for "Game testing"! :D
Answer to all those who are not able to balance games and work! :p

Not everyone is landing in their dream jobs.... :D

BTW, I am a married guy working in IT company, and for me, there is no specific timings.

If a new game comes, i will buy and play for few minutes, if i find it more compelling/addictive(like FC3,GTA IV), then i will play from 9PM-1AM.

At Saturdays, from 2PM-8PM and rest of the time, i will spend with my wife. Sunday, strictly for family and outing.

I must be lucky to have such an understanding wife, who never complains about my gaming habit. So i bought her a new mobile, no she is slicing fruits and driving some cars in that mobile.... (Goal achieved :cool: )

BTW, my office timing is 10am-6pm... :D

Flash

Lost in speed
I don't game aggressively. Say, on weekdays i hardly play for 1-1.5 hr a day.
But on weekends, depending on the mood + home-works, i game on morning, see movie on noon, game on eve and ends my gaming desire (with breaks in between) by 11-11.30 at maximum.

Am not yet married + i work in a corporate. Often my mom scold that i spend the weekends on computers, but not with real irritation. :D

icebags

Technomancer
i have to work from 9:15 to 7:15, but i game after ~10pm *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/37.gif. and week ends too.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since I have to handle prod support, I have to come in shifts and theres almost random shifts everyday with a few general shifts put in between. So, everyday, I have to work either of the following : 7-4, 2-11 or 11-7; general shift is 9-6. I've not been lucky so far to land morning or general shifts for the last couple of days. So, I mainly get to go at night and sleep during the day.

Hrishi

So i bought her a new mobile, no she is slicing fruits and driving some cars in that mobile.... (Goal achieved :cool: )

Lolz :lol: :p

You can play games in the office . :p

Just think what will happen if a woman comes into your life ?

:razz:

This.->
Originally Posted by furious_gamer
So i bought her a new mobile, now she is slicing fruits and driving some cars in that mobile.... (Goal achieved )

What can be a better place than office for gaming ?? Those 8 hours daily.!!! Alongwith an additional benefit of free ultra high speed Internet connectivity.
Drag in your collegues , and run a Tournament. :) WoW!!!!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Lolz :lol: :p

You can play games in the office . :p

Seriously! Even if open Solitaire accidentally, my manager will come to me and look at me like i played for last few hours. This is not practically possible, unless you are working for big MNC as Jr Engineer or in some support/maintenance.

This.->

What can be a better place than office for gaming ?? Those 8 hours daily.!!! Alongwith an additional benefit of free ultra high speed Internet connectivity.
Drag in your collegues , and run a Tournament. :) WoW!!!!

Happened with one of my friends in Wipro, where he was sitting idle for some time and he almost played everyday.

If it worked for him,doesn't mean that it will work for you.
Exactly, that's why i said,
furious_gamer said:
I must be lucky to have such an understanding wife, who never complains about my gaming habit.

pratik385

In the zone
Depends a lot on your shift timing and working hours

Mine is 8AM-5PM
so I always play 6pm-8pm any racing/RPGs games

But I request you not to cut your sleeping hrs for gaming atleast get 7.5/8 hrs sleep everyday it will affect your other day schedules

gaye bhai ab woo din... :(

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
First you would become a casual gamer from a 'gamer'.

I was never an avid gamer but I played major titles and played till very late of night.

After getting job the gaming hours are restricted to only 1 to 1.5 hrs daily i.e from 7PM to 8.30PM or 9. But, I've found that now-a-days I can't continue playing 3-4 hours at a stretch. I get nauseated, dunno why.

Well, my advice would be continue gaming but decrease the gaming time. At least you would be still playing on a regular basis :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I don't play any kind of games at office, even on mobiles. but I see that 3 of my colleagues play. one is always on mobile, playing something only he knows, another guy plays solitaire, the last guy plays somekind of Farm game. (dono if its farmvile as I have never played it)

Top Bottom