Bad sectors!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
hey guys...
can u suggest me the best solution how to remove bad sectors from hard disk...
computer restarts automatically...and then this file this file...trauncated...lost chains ....then list of trauncated files..on start up disk check....
theres no virus..i have scanned using kaspersky before posting....
plz give me best solution...

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
hey guys...
can u suggest me the best solution how to remove bad sectors from hard disk...

You cannot remove bad sectors from your HDD.... Although you can mark them as bad, so that Windows, doesn't use them....

Run a thorough ScanDisk scan on the desired partition or on all partitions, and check all the options in the dialog...(I don't remember the options)

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Truncated files means Bad sectors????
Ubuntu shows them most of the time when I power off the PC w/o shutting it down first. So that means my HDD has bad sectors?

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Truncated files means Bad sectors????
Ubuntu shows them most of the time when I power off the PC w/o shutting it down first. So that means my HDD has bad sectors?

He says, he has truncated files also... doesn't mean that truncated files-> bad sector....... However, bad sectors can lead to truncated files and lost chains.....

rexx

Broken In
there r two types of bad sectors - The first type of bad sectors can be repaired using scandisk or other such type of software,the second type of bad sectors are physical bad sectors n they cannot be repaired but u can make windows to ignore them by using scandisk.If ur bad sectors r of the latter type then it would be a gud idea 2 back up coz its possible that the failure of the hd may be close.

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
@joey 182 ,just download the diagnostic tool from the website of ur hdd manufacturer and run it.if it shows any error then just Zero fill ur hdd and run the test again.it may solve ur prob.
but remember to backup ur data before Zero filling ur hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom