bad sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Broken In
I have a 80GB seagate hard disk, and i have 2 bad sectors on it. Can someone please gimme advise on how to get rid of bad sectors on hard disks please ?

A

ASH_DSG

Back Up Ur Data First And Full Format The Hard Disk Using Seagate Disk Manager And Also Make Partition By That Software. I Think This Could Help To Get Rid Of Bad Sectors.

OP
Gunner

Gunner

Broken In
Now, I have another question. Where can i get the seagate partition manager software ?
Will some other partition manager software do ?

nach p

Journeyman
@ Gunner
Take backup u r data.It is most imp. as data can be lost if any prob. occures.
As it is permanent damage to hard disk it cant be removed but it can be fixed by doing scandisk in Xp (u can do in dos mode )but I will recommend to fix with xp.
These no.s can be increased anytime so be sure of data backup.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Bad sectors cannot be recovered.. They can just be marked so that windows does not write there.. But in due time, they will increase.. So take regular backups..

kalpik said:
Bad sectors cannot be recovered.. They can just be marked so that windows does not write there.. But in due time, they will increase.. So take regular backups..

are you sure??....I too had bad sectors before...but when i formatted that partition, windows were no more showing those bad sectors after scanning....

Nimda

l33t n00b!
A bad sector cannot be fixed by software means: simply because the damage is Physical. As stated earlier, the problem areas of the HDD can be locked so that it is never accessed by the OS. This can usually be done using tools provided by the HDD manufacturer.

Also note that Windows has a tendency to report bad sectors incorrectly. So don't rely too much on a chkdsk report. Also, it is recommended that you enable S.M.A.R.T in the BIOS so that you get a warning if and when the HDD crashes.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
kalpik said:

Perfectly correct, but what I would advice is to take the back ups and to replace the disc at the earliest because once bad sectors start developing, the rate usually goes on increasing.

A

ASH_DSG

U CAN DOWNLOAD SEAGATE DISK MANAGER FROM *www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
GO THERE AND DOWNLOAD DOS VERSION AND RUN IT FROM DOS BUT BACKUP UR ALL DATA FIRST TO UR CDS OK.

phatratt

In the zone
u need to perform low level format by running segate disk manager,its availabe for download at segate website.

OP
Gunner

Gunner

Broken In
Alright. I've done so, but I used a different Partition Manager - Boot It!. I deleted all partitions, completely formatted the hard disk and made partitions again. This time, it didn't show me any bad sectors. I ran scan disk on Windows, but that didn't show me any bad sectors either.
And you can call me Gun ! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom