Bad sectors in my PC. Yes or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I've got a strange diagnostic after running multiple hard disk diagnostic tools. I had a doubt that my system might have developed bad sectors and I ran

1)HD Tune. The result is, the drive is good. NO BAD SECTORS

2)Hard Drive Inspector Professional. Result->NO BAD SECTORS

3)Hard Disk Sentinel. Result->1 BAD SECTOR :cry:

4)chkdsk from windows, properly done. Result-> NO BAD SECTORS

5)HDD Life Pro. Result->NO BAD SECTORS

So, is this a false positive or should I really be concerned? I might buy a new HD. Which should I buy? I'm now having a Seagate 160GB SATA-I and it just finished its 5 year warranty as well :(

imgame2

Padawan
i don't think there is any bad sector as 4 out of 5 software gave no bad sectors ...
why did u think that ur HDD might have bad sectors anyway ..??

if buying a new one go for WD 640(16 mb)Gb AAKS for 3.7k ..or seagate 640 Gb (32 MB) for 3.8k ...

they are value for money !!

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

The performance and health status is showing 50% only in HDD Life Pro compared to 90% of Health and Performance of 100% in Hard Disk Sentinel. It's all a bit crazy. Thanks for the advice on the new HD, but my motherboard doesn't support 640GB. I should settle for 2x160GB. I just might go for a WD. What do you think about Hitachi HDs?

acewin

Point Blanc
How old is the HDD. May have become weak and is telling you to replace HDD. :D

besides what caused you to run all these diagnostics

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

The HD is 5 years old. The reason I started doing this diagnostic is because I was a bit doubtful about the condition as my system has shut down due to power fluctation and the UPS couldn't handle the delay properly :(

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
system shutting down due to fluctuation has nothing to do with the hdd. u have ur ups to blame

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Seagate support is a bit weird. Go there and ask for a replacement. You might be lucky. They don't spend much time in checking whether it is under warranty.

And as entrana said this is a problem with ur ups. Try a diagnostic utility from Seagate's website as well.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
use "chkdsk <drive>: /r" command to find out for actual bad sectors - it will scan each sector one by one - will take much time to complete though.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well...y checking soo much,...if u r performance is still not hampered...itna tension kyun ko leh raha hai???

Thanda pi, thanda ho ja

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I'm not really sure if it's because of the UPS only. Anyway, I'll try to get that checked.

@power_user-I ran the chkdsk /f and /r implies /f so, the check was thorough.

@comp@ddict-I guess, I'll relax. It's the movies which I've got. Most of it is backed up, but some are yet to backed up. Just need the right genre to back it up right :D

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
THere's no probs then..off u go mate then...nice...dun worry too much...nthin problem here..din check my hdd for past 3 eayrs once to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom