Backup desktop files to laptop using ethernet cable possibl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I need to backup my data from my old HDD of my desktop to a laptop(Dell Studio 15) and then transfer it back to my new HDD. I'm doing this circus because suddenly my mobo is not detecting both the HDDs together. Is it possible to just connect using an ethernet cable and start backing up files or should I use a hub? I'm thinking of getting my friend's BSNL 4 port ADSL router in case I need to use a hub. Once I connect it to the laptop, what is the procedure to find the desktop, if any?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Yes, you can network your laptop and desktop without a hub. Just use a crossover LAN cable to connect the two together. This is a cable where the individual wires to some of the pins in the two RJ-45 jacks are interchanged. Your local computer shop may have such a cable readymade or you can ask them to make one for you. It's quite easy.

Details of the actual settings for networking depends on the OS. This should be available in previous threads. Do a search first and ask again if there's something you don't understand.

tkin

Back to school!!
I need to backup my data from my old HDD of my desktop to a laptop(Dell Studio 15) and then transfer it back to my new HDD. I'm doing this circus because suddenly my mobo is not detecting both the HDDs together. Is it possible to just connect using an ethernet cable and start backing up files or should I use a hub? I'm thinking of getting my friend's BSNL 4 port ADSL router in case I need to use a hub. Once I connect it to the laptop, what is the procedure to find the desktop, if any?
Do you have BSNL broadband? If your modem is connected to PC via LAN then you can use that cable. Else just go to shop and buy a LAN cable, costs about 100/-.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
@pimpom-I'll be backing up from XP to Vista. I'll check out for the threads.

@tkin-I'm on BSNL. So, I've got the cable :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom