Backup All iTunes Purchase [56K Warning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hi guys,
Here is my "FIRST EVER" tutorial. Sorry I could not post in thumbnails as I was not able to upload images anywhere (Imageshack,PhotoBucket,Flicker....)

Backing up and restoring purchases made on iTunes.

The songs that you purchase from iTunes store are all protected content.
The music files that are download are "Protected AAC Audio Files" with extension .m4p .
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/info.JPG

The Video files are "Protected MPEG-4 Video Files" with extension .m4v.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/video.JPG

And games have extension of .ipg . These games are only playable on a 5th gen iPod and cannot be played on computer.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/game.JPG

Once you purchase all your purchase are visible in the "Purchased" Folder in STORES section.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/purchase2.jpg

Now for the Backup.

Got File>Backup to Disc
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/backupmenu.JPG

Now iTunes will ask for whether to backup the entire library or only iTunes purchased content.
Choose "Backup only iTunes Store Purchases".

*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/backup2.JPG

Insert a Blank CD and press OK.
Now iTunes starts to backup all your purchase.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/burn.JPG

Once the burning is complete Its done :D. Now you have backedup all your purchase. You get the following prompt.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/backupcomplete1.JPG

Now suppose your system crashes, lost all your data and you have to reinstall everything. Now what to do?
Just popin you CD and restore all the purchased content. :D. Now if you insert the disc back you will be prompted if you want to restore the backup.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/restore.JPG

Now my PC is working fine right now, so I recreated the scenario by de-authorising my computer.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/deauth.JPG

So now whenever I try to play the purchased music I get a prompt.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/authcomp.JPG

I will not be able to play the file until I authorize my computer with my original account with which the music was purchased.

Once you authorise you computer with your iTunes account you will be able to play all your purchased content.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/authsuccess.JPG

The Backup files have exactly the same size as the original file size.
*files.myopera.com/GopiCharan/ScreenShots/folder.JPG

This was a really long process. But there is a quick and dirty way also. Just burn all the purchased content on to a CD/DVD/HDD. When you want to restore the content just add the files to the library and authorize your computer. And you are done. But you may not retain the Rating/Play count/Last played etc etc.

PS Trivia:I posted this tutorial about a Windows application by Apple at Digit Forum using Mozilla Firefox which is not my favourite browser (Opera Rulz) using a computer which is running on a linux installation.

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
iMav said:
can we only backup to a removable media?

Yes any media,But you have to manually add the file to the library when restoring and then authorize the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom