Automatic shutdown software

Status
Not open for further replies.

naru

Broken In
I've got a broadband connection that's free till 8 am. That means every day I've to interrupt my sleep to pause downloads, close Net connection and switch off the computer.

Is there a tried and tested software that can do all of this:

Shutdown programs like Limewire and Bittorrent without causing any data loss

and shut down the PC
automatically at a specified time.

There are lots of programmes on the net like "Switch off" that'll shut down the PC and force applications to close. Will this cause any data loss???

Please help me catch up on my sleep.

busyanuj

In the zone
a simpler method would be to create a batch file shutdwn.bat that has the command shutdown -s -t 30 in it.

Next go to Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks
and create a new scheduled task for this file, timing it to 7:55am for a daily shutdown.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Or download Shutdown Machine 1.1 from download.com It's size is in mere kbs and I have been using it with my BitComet torrent client to shutdown my machine automatically in the morning. There has never been any dataloss. Also its completely free.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
naru shutting own the pc wont help u, MTNL clearly mentions that CPE SHUD BE SWITCHED OFF AND THEN ON AGAIN AFTER 12 and u must DISCONNCT B4 8 to avail free usage for the TriB NU590 PLAN.

i m still lokking for the solution though for this.

whim_gen

Journeyman
Google for AMP WinOFF
Its size is in kbs.
The thing I liked best of this software is that it has an option of "Forced Shutdown".
So that even if some application refuses to allow shutdown (it happens sometimes beleive me)...it will shutdown the comp.

Warning!Make sure u select the right options(especially time and dates..) and dont blame me if something goes wrong.
Better still read its README file before continuing use ....

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I used Autoshutdown from Barefoot Inc. sometime back...was a good software and u may try it...its available at *www.barefootinc.com

godzi_85

In the zone
ohh if you have mtnl triband... then you can set to automatically disconnect the router after a certain period of inactivity in the router itself.. like mines is set to 3 min idle period after which the router disconnects itselfs...
and i use a digitclock.exe something to shut down my comp at 7:54 am. and the router disconnects at 7:57 am.. (my time is syned with tthemtnl server ka time)

but now.. you dont really need to .. cause i think restart their servers at 12 everynight...
and again at 8 every morning.. i think so.

Tech&ME

Banned
Why use third party softwares when WINDOWS ifself can do it ?

IF you are using Windows XP and have installed the chipset utility for your motherboard and the Graphics Drivers then Windows automatically enables the POWER OPTIONS for you.

To configure to use the POWER OPTIONS (in your case) follow this steps.

Step 1: Right-Click on your DESKTOP, then select PROPERTIES from the drop-down menu. You will be presented with a DIALOG BOX.

Step 2: Now Select the SCREEN SAVER tab and then select the POWER button at the bottom.

Step 3: This will open -POWER OPTIONS PROPERTIES page.

Step 4: Select the last option - SYSTEM HIBERNATION and select the TIME period you want after which the system should HIBERNATE.

(Alternatively you can also select the -SYSTEM STANDBY option, this will also do the same job but remember to bring back your system from a STANDBY condition, you should not power off your UPS, where as in case of HIBERNATION you can power off your UPS also.)

choudang

Padawan
i know that only a few companies like APC have The UPS poweroff function in their products. if we don't have, means we have to wake up at the middle of the night to turn of the UPS though we are using XP? ok lets take a another look. If i using 98/2000 then? what i have to do?

we have to take help from third party software in some cases..........

Tech&ME

Banned
warrior said:
i know that only a few companies like APC have The UPS poweroff function in their products. if we don't have, means we have to wake up at the middle of the night to turn of the UPS though we are using XP? ok lets take a another look. If i using 98/2000 then? what i have to do?

we have to take help from third party software in some cases..........

First, you can do this even in 98/2000 and also if you have APC or not this will work.

Second, you need not worry about switching off your UPS completely. You can keep in running but your computer will remain shut off. So, your purpose is anyway solved.

(Note: Keep the UPS running even if your computer is switched off is OK and does not harm your computer. In fact if left this way, you can bring back your computer from a STAND BY state to NORMAL state in no time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom