Auto Mounting Partitions in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Hey I installed Ubuntu that came with Digit DVD. It rox :D

It was auto mounting all my Windows partitions at startup ever since it was installed.

From Yesterday it isnt mounting them automatically. I check fstab. The entries are there. But nothing is mounted.

If I go check partitions it displays all correctly. Also in /Media/ there are sda1, sda2 folders but nothing is mounted.

What can be wrong?

ps: Now I got internet access to can use apt-get :D

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Just boot into windows and then back in ubuntu to acess those partitions.Even I face this issue quite a few times..:(

Rahim

Married!
Sometimes due to improper shutdown in Windows the partitions are not mountd in Ubuntu. So boot into Windows and it will check for error(chkdsk) and then reboot into Ubuntu. This is what i do for this problem.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yup, boot into Windows, shut it down cleanly and then try. Or else add a force option to the end of your options in FSTAB.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
If you hibernate Windows, then Windows(NTFS, to be exact) partitions won't be mounted. Apparently Windows locks up NTFS during hibernation

x3060

A LOTR fan
thanks for that tip, even i faced it the first time i installed Ubuntu .i had to move to mandriva to solve it . even fedora 8 was not solving that problem for me . but mandriva did :).

silent008

Broken In
coolpcguy said:
If you hibernate Windows, then Windows(NTFS, to be exact) partitions won't be mounted. Apparently Windows locks up NTFS during hibernation

I dont think that windows locks the drives.
I think its because the log file for the ntfs drives are not clean(not terminated at end),it indicates unclean shutdown(even if its hibernated). writing on to such disks without scanning them for errors can lead to data loss, thus the mount application avoids writing on it. u can force mount it and then the utility would mount it after shouting some warnings!!!

Please tell me if i am wrong!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom