athlon 64 or athlon x2 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
hmmm but i think that it will work a little slower.. thats mt thinking and the person acan use double bandwidth by installing it on dual channel.. means double the bandwidth and two sticks are 4.7 k 512*2 so why not to...

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Marginally slower. You won't even notice the difference in real world applications.

But when you buy 1 GB more RAM later you will have the advantage of running in dual channel and will also have 2 slots free. If you buy 2x512 now then you need to buy 2 sticks of RAM for any further upgrade. (Because you can't run 3 sticks at once, only 1/2/4)

Hi Omsck ,
1 st things 1st -

1 X2 3600+ is at astable price point n definitely better then Athlon 64 3000+.
2 Though there is always the possibility ( seems rare n depends on
other factors ) of a further price drop . (with core 2 duo 4400 etc. launch).
3 U can save afew bucks by opting for MSI K9NGM2 (Rs. 4200) instead of
Asus M2NPV-VM . Almost same specs - Nvidia 6150 / MCP 430 chipsets.
4 If u dont really multitask then it is better to go for Athlon 64 3000+ with
a BETTER GRAPHICS solution ( if games r a priority ! ).
5 Forget this core 2 duo cheerleading . It sure is very good , BUT at
what price point ? N DOES EVERY ONE NEED IT ? - methinks NO.

SO , take u r pick if on very tight budget - 3000+ with Good Graphics.
if got the money then - go for a better technology + future proofing
i.e. 3600+ .

PS : I've checked out a lot of reviews n the MSI mobo is really good n at par with Asus if not better . And 3000+ would be apretty decent n smart choice as well (m considering the price )

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
yes. in dual channel u will get 2x533 effective speed. Using 2 x 512 is always better if u have 4 slots. If u want to upgrade memory later just add another 2x512 or 1x1GB in the next slots nd u ll have 512+512 x2 in dual channel.

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah i wanted to say this only as 1*1 gb will be 64 bit and about 4000 mb/sec bandwidth and in dual channel its 128 bit and around 8000 mb/s

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
2x512 MB is only useful in the short term. If you add more RAM later on (you probably will seeing that 1 GB is on the low side), you will be forced to run at 2T command rate. If you buy 1 GB now and add 1 GB later you can enjoy dual channel and run at 1T command rate after your upgrade.

Last edited:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
As per me if ur board supports dual channel mode then it is definetly wise to keep a dual channel RAM configuration as it will boast the performance a lot. But u have only 2 slots for RAM than it would be wise to save the seond slot for further upgradation

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
and make sure to get both RAMs of same company, spped and timmings and fix them on board in alternate slots,i.e, leaving one slot in between

nishant_nms said:
and make sure to get both RAMs of same company, spped and timmings and fix them on board in alternate slots,i.e, leaving one slot in between

why leave one slot in between , plz elaborate / enlighten ?
I 'm thinking of 2*512 @ 667 Mhz also .

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@DigitalImmigrant
in some mobos if u wanna run dual channel uve to insert the modules leavind one slots in b/w. Suppose there r 4 slots_A,B,C,D and A&B are one channel nd C&D r the 2nd channel. For dual channel uve to use A&C. (Most mobos)
but in some mobos the channels are like this:
A&C in one ch and B&D in 2nd(mobos like A8NVM) . So uve to use A&B for dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom