Asus N10E ADSL Router- slow speeds - Need Help

user28

Journeyman
Hi Friends,

I purchased this Asus DSL-N10 150 Mbps wireless ADSL router for my BSNL Broadband connection. The looks of this router are good, but the router interface sucks and very confusing. It took some time to configure it to my needs and all is setup now. Though my BSNL connection is 4Mbps speed (plan), i hardly get more than 2.50 max. When contacted BSNL the guys came up with their router and routinely checked and told that there was no problem and my router had the problem. Though i do not trust those guys completely, i thought of checking the router my self. Though i am not an expert at these router values, please let me know if something is wrong with the router or with the BSNL line itself.

I don't know why i am not able to attach png files. It says copy/move of file failed.

System
Alias Name DSL-N10E
Uptime(hh:mm:ss) 0 0:48:3
Firmware Version V2.1.16_APAC
DSP Version 2920bc12
DSL
Operational Status T1.413
Upstream Speed 768 kbps
Downstream Speed 2400 kbps

DownstreamUpstream
Hlin Scale114790
Loop Attenuation(dB)19.68.3
Signal Attenuation(dB)19.68.1
SNR Margin(dB)6.411.9
Attainable Rate(Kbps)12132747
Output Power(dBm)15.19.0

Sorry posted like this as i could not attach images.

Please help me get the proper speed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
adsl router is fine,it is your low snr values which are causing issues.these should be 15 or above for a stable connection.low snr values indicate some issue with line/connector.check for any loose joint/cut/dust/rust on all connecting ports(router,adsl splitter,phone box etc).as for getting 4mbps speed your downstream speed should set at ~4096kbps(currently it is 2400kbps) & requires a speed setting at local exchange(by default speed is set at ~2048kbps) along with a problem free line.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Restarting the thread again with the same problem. Please help. :cry:

My internet speed seems to be slow. My plan is a 4 Mbps plan. When i had complained to BSNL, they repaired something at their underground cable and later told me that i am now getting 5.01 Mbps.
Though speedtest.net and BSNL's own speed test site(Welcome to BROADBAND NOC UTILITY PORTAL:5 * Intranet) is showing speeds upto 5.60 Mbps fluctuating between 4.2 and 5.60 Mbps
speedtest.net is showing speeds upto 5.01 Mbps and fluctuating between 4.20 and 5.01 Mbps

But testmy.net is never showing speeds more than 1 Mbps. The lowest it showed is 504 Kbps.

Here are my ADSL statistics from the modem.

Alias Name DSL-N10E
Uptime(day hh:mm:ss) 0 0:57:28
Date/Time Fri Mar 6 10:18:3 2015
Firmware Version V2.1.20_EU
DSP Version 2920bc12
DSL
Operational Status G992.5
Upstream Speed 1021 kbps
Downstream Speed 8191 kbps

Capture.PNG

Looking at the Modem SNR status, i believe i am not getting the actual speeds. But different results from the different sites are confusing me. Is my Modem at fault here or what the BSNL guys are saying is true?

Can any body guide me please.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all stop blindly trusting speed test sites.just download some big setup file from microsoft site using some download manager & after it finishes see the avg download speed.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You have a downstream value of 8191 kbps, and since your plan is for 4 mbps, don't you think its ok? If speedtest.net is showing it 5 mbps, then what is the problem? :confused:

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION],
Then why is testmy.net showing different speeds no where close to other sites?
If the downstream is set to 8191 kbps. Then why i am i getting speed close to 5.2 or 5.5 mbps but not nearer to 8Mbps

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Agreed. We cannot use 100% of the bandwidth. But my question here is why are different sites showing different speeds? Looking at the modem's SNR and attentuation values, should i escalate my complaint with BSNL? Whats my next step now?

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Thank you.

Got a call from BSNL guys stating that they had changed a cable and asked me to check.
Just now i had added the Extension to my Firefox -- Download Manager (S3) 3.09 and started to download a 55 MB file from Microsoft.com.
It showed an average speed of 418 KBps. so i guess i am getting 3.5+ Mbps speed. Is this enough or should i try downloading a more larger file?

If this is correct, still the values from my modem puzzles me. Here are the current values

3.png

- - - Updated - - -

Adding to my above post, the BSNL guys also said that this is the last they can do and they cannot do anything beyond that to increase the speed and decrease the attenuation except for changing the underground cable which is already 20+ years old.

So now i am thinking of moving to the FTH (Fiber to home) solution. But i am completely clueless on what it is and how it works and what equipment BSNL gives. They said something like ONT modem along with 4 hours of backup (not sure if this is an UPS) which applies to the same plan as my ADSL along with an additional monthly rental of 150 rupees.

Now i am not sure if this ONT device is wireless or not and again if i am to buy a wireless router or my existing wireless ADSL router will work as a router.

As I do not have good faith in BSNL modems/routers, can anybody suggest what i need to buy for this fiber connection and what would be the cost and how to set up them. BSNL is charging 500 rupees for installation and the outright purchase of the ONT device is Rs.18000/- !!

I am open to buying online.

I found this in tplink india site... 1-Port Gigabit GPON Terminal TX-6610 - Welcome to TP-LINK
Not sure about the cost as well as if this is the correct one for my need.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
FTTH is optical fiber connection to home.just think of it as lan wire but using light rays to carry data.on the other hand in my opinion you are worrying unnecessarily.FTTH is meant for 100mbps+ connections & the BSNL plan you are using is FUP 4mbps plan where after crossing 15/20gb your speed gets reduced to a measly 512kbps.in fact i recommend getting 1445 plan with 1mbps UL if you can afford it.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]
so you are saying that i am getting the right speed now?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Yes buddy. See almost 3 different points show a normal connection and only one is low. So by logic which is wrong?

Don't worry, you are OK. Now go ahead and finish those 20 GBs fast and join our 512 Kbps club ;)

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Friends,

The internet speed is back. Thank you all for your suggestions. But now the router started giving problems. It started to reset itself to factory defaults. Wifi keeps disconnecting every 3 hours. I had updated to the latest firmware but it did not help. Asus did not release any firmware after january 2014. Contacting Asus support did not help much as they only suggested to update firmware which i had already did and hence yielded no result.

The wifi range also is not covering my entire 1600 sft 3BHK home. Definitely something is wrong with the router and i do not have the time and patience to make frequent visits to the service center. I decided to purchase a new router. Based on the forum members recommendations, TPlink w8968 seems to get the first place. But I had two concerns with that.
1) The design which had openings on the top attracts a lot of dust as our house is located just by the main road and is very dusty. We had a lot of dust problem and cleaning the modem daily is not an option for me. Covering the top with a paper or cover may not be an effective solution. (If any member had any idea of custom modding the modem, let me know.... :) )
2) I don't have any 3G modems and so all the features of W8968 are not useful to me. And also i do not like the white color much, so i selected 2 models: W8960N and W8101G.

Please let me know your opinion on these models.

And as for the wifi range, i decided to purchase a seperate 10dbi antenna and attach to the modem, but not sure which brand antenna to buy. I had read in one of the thread as the member purchased a comfast 10dBi antenna and attached to the W8951ND modem, but did not write about the end result. Tplink is not having 10 dBi antenna. So not yet decided on which one to buy. Summing up my needs are as follows:

1) A good modem wifi router which had an easy cleaning aspect with a plain top design.(Not strictly compulsory. If no other go then i will purchase the one based on your recommendations)
2) Wifi range which can cover my 1600 sft home.
3) Cleaning the modem should be easy.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Flipkart is selling W8968 for Rupees 1686. Two days ago I saw the same modem selling in Flipkart for Rupees 1750. Is this a good deal from Flipkart or locally will it be more less?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
flipkart prices for tp-link products are usually lower.as for dust issue you are in best position to judge but as far as cleaning the modem goes you can only clean the exterior which is of not much use in your case as dust inside modem is the real issue.you can PM the member to ask about antenna performance(i am assuming it is [MENTION=123453]kg11sgbg[/MENTION]).

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Thank you whitestar_999.

what do you suggest if not Tplink? My budget is upto 2.5K.
My only concern with TPlink is the design problem and nothing else.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm also using W8968 24*7 without covering the top. Those holes help in keeping it cool. As for dust, I clean it on a monthly basis by blowing air into the holes.

Top Bottom