Asus N10E ADSL Router- slow speeds - Need Help

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Is the Tplink W8960N available? I like the blue colour of the device more than that of the white coloured ones.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Need to change the router now as i am no where satisfied with the Asus router. If i connect 3 mobile phones and PC at the same time it slows down to a crawl. Though Pc connected directly through cable is ok to some extent, all the wirelessly connected clients get a speed of 10Kbps on the average even while trying to download a 4 MB file and no PC is not downloading anything at that time.
The wireless signal also fluctuates rapidly and never stable but never disconnects though. The wireless signal strength is not able to connect my entire 1600 SqFt apartment. I am using 40MHz frequency in channel 13.
The situation did not change even when used 20 Mhz or 20/40 MHz.
Also there is no firmware update from Asus since Jan 2014 and i think they stopped updating the firmware. This router also has no ddwrt or openwrt custom firmware support since this router is based on Realtek RT8196C platform and having only 4MB flash and 16 MB RAM (not sure if these are the exact values but atleast nearer may be?).

So time for a good wifi adsl modem router now and my budget is upto 3K. Custom firmware support a must and dual band required. A quick search and was able to find Netgear DGN2200

Any suggestions and advices?
:)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as far as i know no adsl router available here(& even most of the ones available abroad) is supported by ddwrt or openwrt.getting a cheap wired modem & a good wifi router is better option.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Yes...I too thought of that option..but i have very little space to accomodate two devices.
How about Netgear DGN2200 ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is your money so your choice but i will never recommend buying an adsl wifi router with lesser features which is costlier by more than Rs.1000(W8968 has more features & available for 1665 at the moment).

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]
Can you give a brief comparision of both the routers for reference? So that I will get a good understanding of what is present and what is present and useful?
BTW Netgear DGN2200 is supported by openwrt.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
w8968 has 3g usb modem support & you can check the features in details by trying emulator on tp-link india site.also from whatever i read installing openwrt on Netgear DGN2200 is not a piece of cake & in fact may prove to be very complicated for a typical user.also Netgear DGN2200 does not have mac spoofing/cloning option(must for those using cable broadband) & printer sharing via usb port while tp-link has both.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Thank you for all the suggestions. [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]...Finally went ahead and purchased a W8968. Started configuring today. For security purpose i had configured the following.
1) Hide SSID
2) DISABLE WPS
3) Disable DHCP Server
4) Enable MAC filtering for wireless
5) WPA2 Password

Anything i am missing?

Another question is though my mobile is a wieless n device it is only connecting at 72 Mbps. Why?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is fine.as for connecting speed it will always be much less than "150/300 mbps" because of overhead & non-ideal conditions.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Modded the exteriors of my router to my taste. I did not go for any kind of fancies but a simple plain design. The answer to my previous posts of dust problem. I do not keep it on 24x7 and use it only when required. Hence no heating problem.

Total cost= 80 Rupees and 3 hours of time.

Check the image below.

Router.jpg

Top Bottom