assign multiple groups to a folder :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
hi all

is it possible to assign multiple groups to a folder?

eg i have a folder /shared
i want the folder to be accessible by users from groups g1,g2,g3.

i can add a user to multiple groups but cannot assign a file/folder to multiple groups.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Which particular users who want to share that folder? I mean just create a new group with those users, chgrp the folder and set group permissions.

I don't see why you want multiple "groups" having similar permission. Care to explain?

Of course, if someone knows the answer I would be delighted to be enlightened.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i am in the process of creating a linux server which is joined to windows AD domain.
windows desktop users who are authenticated with the windows AD are directed to shared folders on the linux file server.
i have say, share1 share2 share3 mapped to IT, Finance, Sales depts.
so in case i need to share the folder share2 with heads of IT and Finance and other members f the management then its better off to add the head of IT and Finance to the folder group and add the group containing the management to the folder group.
hope i am making it clear.
any clues?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
First I have no idea about Active Directory.

You mean share1 be accessible to IT, share2 to finance, and share3 to sales. But certain non-members of finance should have same rights as their members to share 2, right?
Why don't you simply add those users of "management" to the finance group using usermod -a -G command?

Or you can create another group with all users of finance group, as well as the management team members and chgrp to that?

Or is it I am totally misunderstanding your question.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for your effort ... since you dont know AD or how DS work, you probably didnt understand the situation very clearly.
i m testing something for a org with 500+ users. management wud be much easier if we are able to assign groups to folders.
i had posted on HP forums as well n got this reply.
*forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forum...356075&admit=109447627+1247758359253+28353475
i m yet to chk if ACLs will resolve my issue.
if u have any comments on the replies there plz share
:)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
hey thanks ... i found out a workaround from the HP forums link i have posted earlier.

use normal file permissions and use ACLs when absolutely essential ...
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom