Assembling a PC for the first time - need help.

Furox

Broken In
My laptop is a piece of crap, finally decided to buy a desktop this time as I was mostly using it at home anyway. After looking at several brands of PCs and several models, I'm thinking I should take a shot at assembling one myself, if only to see the possible configuration within my budget as compared to branded PCs. If possible I'd like to see your suggestions of a few possible configurations. My Budget is 40-50k.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: General use, lots of gaming, mostly online gaming (MMOs, not ones like WoW that have extremely high requirements, but I'd like to run 3D MMOs at high quality with high FPS). Some occasional movies, and a lot of music.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes, but I WOULD prefer intel processors to AMD ones, just that I've heard that AMD processors heat up easily, and my laptop currently has one and recently has been shutting down automatically due to over heating.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Max 50k, but I'd like it to be closer to 45k~ since I need to buy original windows 7 and MS Office too.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Not really, no.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 Home

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: HDD is not important, even 200 GB would be fine.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: I'd like a 21 inch LCD monitor, probably at 1920×1080 resolution.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: Probably 3/10, I'm new to this, I have basic knowledge of all hardware, but I have no idea about what the current performers are, or their prices, and what parts would be compatible with each other, what parts wouldn't. First time assembling.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: This will be done by an assembler, I'm just hoping to come up with some good configurations so that he can get the parts and assemble it ASAP. Hopefully I can learn from him and assemble my next PC myself.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: ASAP, as soon as I can decide a configuration and get the parts, probably within a few days.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: I'd like it to be somewhat future-proof, but its not too much of a priority, I may or may not upgrade it in the future, and I dont think its that important for me because I'm not into high-end gaming or HD movies or stuff like that. But I want it to be good enough that I wouldn't have much complaints for a few years.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: No, I need everything.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: New Delhi. Not open to buying from shops in other states, pretty sure everything should be available here anyway.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I'd prefer an Intel processor, but I guess if theres a large price difference, AMD would be fine too.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Intel i5 2400 @ 9.5k
Intel DH67BL B3 @ 6k
Seagate 500GB @ 1.7k
Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz @ 2.3k
Benq G2220HD @ 7.3k
MSI HD6850 @ 10.5k
CM Elite 430 @ 2.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.5k
Altec Lancing VS4121 @ 2.7k
Total 46k

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
+1

Ishu's config is very balanced indeed. And its closest to your budget that you mentioned.

@ Furox

If possible, drop in a nvidia gtx 560 or radeon 6950 instead of 6850. You will get better fps and they are more suited for fullhd gaming than a 6850. Both are available at around 15.4k including taxes.

For gtx 560, try out the factory overclocked msi gtx 560 twin frozr II @ 15.4k. Alternatively, you can try sapphire radeon 6950 1gb at the same price. Both give similar performance in fullhd with a few fps here and there. So its completely your decision.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ They don't have any issues now. They are perfectly fine. But sandybridge cpu's perform faster and run even cooler. So they are relatively cool.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
My Intel laptop is around 90 degrees when gaming.
50 on normal usage.

I need to use a cooler (decreases temp by 20 degrees :cool:) to play games otherwise the start to lag as soon as temp crosses 80.

masterkd

Padawan
@saswat23, AMD doesn't overheat..my proccy idle temp 22-27 c with stock cooler and stock speed and i don't have ac in my room..all i did good cable management and ventilation!!

OP
F

Furox

Broken In
Intel i5 2400 @ 9.5k
Intel DH67BL B3 @ 6k
Seagate 500GB @ 1.7k
Benq G2220HD @ 7.3k
MSI HD6850 @ 10.5k
CM Elite 430 @ 2.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.5k
Total 46k

Thanks, seems quite good ^^
I think I don't want to spend an extra 5k on a GFX card... How much would the difference be b/w this one and the ones vicky mentioned?
Maybe it wasnt the AMD processor, maybe its just normal for a laptop to heat that much regardless of the processor brand, since I'm using it w/o a cooler deck, and no air conditioning either. Its a Compaq Presario V3000 and the vents at the bottom are almost always blocked, unless I place it at the edge of my desk with half of it suspended in air lol. Which is dangerous. I'd still rather have Intel, just to be safe. Thanks everyone

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel i5 2400 @ 9.5k
Intel DH67BL B3 @ 6k
Seagate 500GB @ 1.7k
Benq G2220HD @ 7.3k
MSI HD6850 @ 10.5k
CM Elite 430 @ 2.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.5k
Total 46k
Perfect config.

@vickybat, you see another one with AMD's heating isue.
I mean AMD procs have more heating issues than intel.
It is a laptop. Heating issues in laptops are very common.

You want to see what I did with my laptop because it overheated very much?

*a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180743_1895575427961_1198844455_2285730_7352750_n.jpg

And it has an Intel processor.

Another thing, heating issues in laptops with AMD processors are because of manufacturers using sub-par materials to manufacture them and then selling them at only 20-25k~. Having said that, AMD is still inferior in laptops but the trend might change with Fusion.

Or what do you want to say, we are idiots who suggest AMD processors to people according to budget? We only suggest tried and tested things.

Athlon II X4 635/640 were suggested over Core i3-530 because they were better in the broader picture. Phenom II X4 955/965 were suggested in moderate gaming PCs because you couldn't fit Core i5-750 in a particular budget. When you could fit i5-750, it was suggested over everything else. Phenom II X6 were suggested to people who were into rendering. People who had sufficient budget for Core i7, only Core i7 configs were suggested.

Now Sandy Bridge is the best, so it gets predominantly suggested. We are not idiots here.

abirthedevil

In the zone
which acer model is it? i own a 5740G ATI 5650 and it runs pretty cool even when gaming but have seen HP laptop with same config as mine getting pretty hot

Top Bottom