Are we allowed to take swiss Knife in Check In baggage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
My sis was not allowed to carry a cork opener with her on the flight from Delhi to Mumbai, not on the check-in baggage nor the cabin baggage. They kept it with them and then sent it later on and she had to go to the Mumbai airport a week later and collect it. And you are asking about a Swiss knife? :lol:

(Note: my sis does not drink. She was a hotel management student. :p )

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ my cousin has the other one. and I wont give you my swiss knife *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/03a.gif

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Normally, there is much less restriction on what you can carry in a check-in baggage than in cabin baggage. I expect the security people will allow knives in check-in baggage most of the time.

I guess it depends to some extent on who are on duty and the mood they're in, and also on whether there has been any terrorist incident recently. Two different people doing the same job may have different attitudes, and the same person may behave differently at different times. That's human nature.

I live in a remote place and when I return from a trip to a big city, I usually have lots of electronic parts, gadgets and tools in my luggage which show up clearly on the airport X-ray machines. There are times when they wave me through without a comment, and there are times when I have to open my baggage and do a lot of explaining.

If you're concerned, why don't you just call the airport or the airline and ask? A direct approach is often the best way to clarify any doubt.

Bandu

Journeyman
IMO, Swiss knives are fine as long as they are checked-in properly (closed, I mean) coz that way, they can't cut through the baggage and cause damage. Other open sharp objects should be avoided. Thats the reason the wine bottle opener was disallowed. You should avoid taking scissors, open knives, etc - even in the checked-in baggage. Nail cutters, Swiss knives should be fine as they won't abruptly open up and cause damage.

Sometimes the security personnel can still disallow you to carry such objects, and you can't argue much about it. In this case, they will carry it separately for you to collect it afterwards at your destination.

Last edited:

gauravsuneja

macaddict
are 5 iphones allowed in 1 baggage or many baggages but in same trip?

Foreign travellers who come to India bring iPhones, which are locked to networks. They are then unlocked by the dealers. “It takes not more than 15 minutes now. Most people can unlock it on their own using softwares available in the market,” said one of the dealers, who began with charging Rs 3,000 for unlocking the iPhone last year and now takes only Rs 500.

Apart from this, those travelling from India to the US or other countries where iPhone is available, get the devices for their friends and relatives. “On my last trip to the US, I got six iPhones for my family. I unlocked them on my own and they are all working fine. I paid just $200 (around Rs 8,600) per handset,” said an analyst working with a research firm in Bangalore.

see full article here
*economictimes.indiatimes.com/News_...brightens_up_grey_mkt/articleshow/3429287.cms

D@rekills4

In the zone
No

Actually NO
But once I was to Swiss and we bought some Swiss knives
We gave it to one of our friends which was coming from some other way
But by mistake we left a Swiss Knife in our luggage
But thankfully it was so deep inside that the detector couldn't see it
We noticed it after we came home

Pat

Beyond Smart
are 5 iphones allowed in 1 baggage or many baggages but in same trip?

Foreign travellers who come to India bring iPhones, which are locked to networks. They are then unlocked by the dealers. “It takes not more than 15 minutes now. Most people can unlock it on their own using softwares available in the market,” said one of the dealers, who began with charging Rs 3,000 for unlocking the iPhone last year and now takes only Rs 500.

Apart from this, those travelling from India to the US or other countries where iPhone is available, get the devices for their friends and relatives. “On my last trip to the US, I got six iPhones for my family. I unlocked them on my own and they are all working fine. I paid just $200 (around Rs 8,600) per handset,” said an analyst working with a research firm in Bangalore.

see full article here
*economictimes.indiatimes.com/News_...brightens_up_grey_mkt/articleshow/3429287.cms

Thats a bullshit article by a stupid journalist. And please for the last time, iPhone 3G cannot be bought for $200 without contract in US. It is available for $599 plus taxes without contract.

JFYI,law states that a person can carry personal goods worth upto 25k INR without paying any custom duty.

R2K

In the Zone
^^

I don't think there is any problem bringing swiss knives in checkin luggage ... but carrying it in cabin baggage will make trouble for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom