Are pings in any way related to download speeds? Need help!

darkv0id

Journeyman
So, here's the thing: my Tata Photon+ wireless has FUP with max download speed of (3.1 Mbps) upto 12 GB. During this, my pings on CS 1.6 servers in Delhi range from 60-120 ms.
However, when the usage limit is exceeded, the speeds fall down to 128 kbps. What's strange is that my pings, which were earlier 60-120, increase to >400 ms :cry:.

So,
1. Are pings related to download speed?
2. If not, is there a way to resolve this problem, and restore my pings to the earlier 60-120 range?

Please help!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No it's not related to download speed IMO. A dongle isn't ideal for online gaming. There are many external factors that effect signal strengths that will lead to different pings.

You can contact CC and see what they can do but I don't think they can do much.

On 2G the connection itself is of a different type; which is not for gaming or bandwidth heavy sites.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
No it's not related to download speed IMO. A dongle isn't ideal for online gaming. There are many external factors that effect signal strengths that will lead to different pings.

You can contact CC and see what they can do but I don't think they can do much.

On 2G the connection itself is of a different type; which is not for gaming or bandwidth heavy sites.

So, you mean when the FUP limit is crossed, the connection essentially becomes 2G? If that's the case then no wonder the latency increases. :cry:

Still, thanks for the response :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Look at it this way. Ping means the amount of time it takes between a client sending a request data packet and the receiving a response packet for that request from the server. Download speeds on the other hand depends upon the bandwidth of the media your are downloading from. Therefore, even if your pings are high, you will still be able to transfer a lot of data if you have a high bandwidth connection. However, if you are playing an online game, you will need lower pings because your actions need to be registered quicker on the server. If your pings are high, your actions will be registered late on the server and you will have a disadvantage over other players who have pings lower than you.

Like thetechfreak said, ping on dongles depend upon a number of factors. It is however not reliable to play online games on it.

Top Bottom