Apple's iOS 7 makes users sick

quagmire

Allllright !
Summary: A flurry of complaints show that some iPhone and iPad users who upgraded to the latest operating system are physically feeling worse for wear.

After upgrading Apple devices to the latest operating system, iOS 7, users have reported feeling physically ill because of navigation animations.

A number of users have taken to Apple forums to complain about the new OS update, saying that zoom and motion effects have resulted in nausea, headaches, hurting eyes, dizziness and motion sickness.

One user associated animations with car sickness, and others -- after using their Apple mobile devices for no more than a few minutes and feeling sick as a result -- chose to downgrade their operating systems.

-Source

Forging new frontiers in fanboi fragility, some members of the iDevice community have taken to Apple's discussion forum to complain that iOS 7 makes them want to puke.

No, their nausea isn't being caused by mere aesthetic revulsion. Rather, the source is iOS 7's many zoom animations along with the slight parallax effect that iOS 7 uses to create the illusion of 3D display layers – home-screen backgrounds, for example, can be seen to shift slightly behind icons as a user rotates their phone.

These bits of UI trickery make some people sick.

"The zoom animations everywhere on the new iOS 7 are literally making me nauseous and giving me a headache. It's exactly how I used to get car sick if I tried to read in the car," wrote the initial poster in an Apple forum entitled "Any way to turn off iOS 7 navigation animations?"

"I have the same problem," writes another. "After using it for two minutes, I felt nauseous."

A third: "I have the same problem. It hurts my eyes and makes me dizzy. So annoying that we can't downgrade!!!! Really unhappy with Apple on this one "

A fourth: "I thought I was going crazy today after I updated my phone and I noticed I was feeling queasy every time I used it. Now I see I am not alone! I just used my phone for about 20 minutes and now I feel like I'm going to vomit."

There are many more complainers in the forum, which has 146 postings as of early Thursday afternoon Pacific Time, with words such as "nausea", "headache", "motion sickness", "dizzyness", "eye strain", "vomit", "vertigo", "blurred vision", and "seizure" peppering the comment thread.

Another poster reports, "My research suggests that it is a very real problem attributed to Neuro-Ocular Vestibular Dysfunction, or what's been coined: See-Sick Syndrome," while a third advises, "If you have Ménière's or labyrinthitis DON'T upgrade," referring to two disorders of the inner ear that can cause vertigo in conjunction with certain visual stimulus.

It's unlikely that iOS 7's puke-inducing user interface is merely caused by so many users merely "holding it wrong."

-Source

ashs1

Padawan
damn.. I wonder what would happen to them if they had Android phones &used some 3D theme ( from go launcher )..
Probably dead in sometime.. :p

just used my phone for about 20 minutes and now I feel like I'm going to vomit."
*www.smiteahippie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Attachments

• simpsons-haha.jpg
    simpsons-haha.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 132

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yep. pretty nauseating. skeumorphic > flat. all the bright primary colours make looks like some kindergarten toy for kiddies.
bad move by Jony
for ios users who like their devices in current state, stick it out with 6.x till apple updates the update

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Same used to happen to windows users too.. now they are immune to it. the worst of it was when Windows ME was released.

Minion

Conversation Architect
damn.. I wonder what would happen to them if they had Android phones &used some 3D theme ( from go launcher )..
Probably dead in sometime.. :p

*www.smiteahippie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Haha...

Gollum

Collector
with android, its all choppy business so no chance of motion sickness. apple made it smooth so not even good things look bad lol

Top Bottom