Apple working on 'cheaper, smaller' and dual-mode iPhone

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
I don't think so any one going to buy mini iphone.Lol I honestly would see no one buying that crap.Let me rephrase that, no one that is smart would buy that lol.Honestly, what is the point if its more than less than half the screen? Cant do much except as a phone unlike the iPhone and iPod Touch.

New news Iphone nano has no memory.CoM this morning follows up the Bloomberg and WSJ iPhone nano stories with a theory of their own, albeit one with some perceived holes.

But to do that, Apple had to figure out a way to strip away some of the components to reduce both its size and cost.

By “some” of the memory, we mean ALL of the memory. The iPhone nano will have no memory for onboard storage of media, our source says. It will have only enough memory to buffer media streamed from the cloud.

“I’m talking strictly storage memory here,” said our source.

The iPhone nano will pull ALL it’s content from MobileMe. When users buy a movie or TV show on iTunes, it’s available to stream to their iPhone or iPad. The service is based on technology from LaLa.com, a streaming service that Apple bought last spring and then shut down.

“It would be a mostly cloud-based iOS,” said our source.

The major problem with this is that you couldn’t install apps on the iPhone nano. Which sounds like kind of a bust. You have to wait 10 minutes while your email app downloads? Not likely.Let see apple provide memory card slot on their idevice.So finally this is a price cut and cheaper.

Source

Last edited:
OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
^^ It should either have onboard memory or an micro-SD slot. But if both are not present, then it is gone. Also if it doesn't allow apps to be installed then it'll be a waste.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if the price of the iphone nano was tempting, the features will cancel it out. & add to it the cost of 3G data rates to stream songs & movies. it'll be only a style statement.

also add these, a iphone looks better investment in a period of 2yrs.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
there is always a niche for every kind of mobile handset. we, here talk only about smartphones and deject other "dumbphones" :D
I am not saying that anyone among us will ever buy this good for nothing Nano, but it will definitely find buyers nonetheless :)

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Apple to expand iPhone screen size to 4-inches

Apple to expand iPhone screen size to 4-inches

*i.imgur.com/NwTaw.png

Apple reportedly will change the screen size of iPhone to 4-inch for its fifth generation iPhone to compete with the Google Android platform in the 4- to 7-inch smartphone market, according to upstream component suppliers.

The component suppliers noted that the production lines for Apple's next generation iPhone have begun testing, and Apple is interesting in expanding the screen size to 4-inches to support the tablet PC market as the vendor only has a 9.7-inch iPad in the market.

In fact, smartphones that adopt the Google Android platform are mainly 4-inch and larger models. Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S and Google's Nexus S adopt 4-inch panels, Sharp adopts 5.5-inch for its smartphone, and Acer plans to launch a 4.8-inch smartphone. With Apple joining the 4-inch and larger market, 4- to 5.5-inch will become the major battlefield for smartphones and further change the industry dynamics for small- to medium-size panels.

What is worth noticing is that Dell has re-defined the market position of the Dell Streak 5 – which was originally focused on the tablet PC market – as a super phone. The Dell Streak 5 uses a 5-inch panel which stands in the gray area between tablet PC and handset segments and indicates there is an overlap in the market for 4- to 7-inch panels.n fact, smartphones that adopt the Google Android platform are mainly 4-inch and larger models. Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S and Google's Nexus S adopt 4-inch panels, Sharp adopts 5.5-inch for its smartphone, and Acer plans to launch a 4.8-inch smartphone. With Apple joining the 4-inch and larger market, 4- to 5.5-inch will become the major battlefield for smartphones and further change the industry dynamics for small- to medium-size panels.

What is worth noticing is that Dell has re-defined the market position of the Dell Streak 5 – which was originally focused on the tablet PC market – as a super phone. The Dell Streak 5 uses a 5-inch panel which stands in the gray area between tablet PC and handset segments and indicates there is an overlap in the market for 4- to 7-inch panels.

Smartphone vendors' choice of using increasing screen sizes and specifications has helped to generate some change in the panel industry. Currently, bonding TFT with touch panels has become an important factor to keep orders from clients. For AU Optronics (AUO), part of its 4G and 5G capacity has moved to touch panel production covering touch sensors, TFT panels to modules, and the panel maker is also working with its subsidiary Cando to develop in-cell touch panel to compete in the market.

Chimei Innolux (CMI) is also producing touch panels at its 4.5G plant and part of its 5G plant through front to back-end method, and is also producing iPhone and iPad panels through IPS technology.

Panel makers noted that in addition to touch panels, AMOLED is another important development in the smartphone market. AMOLED supply remains in shortage, and Samsung's subsidiary Samsung Mobile Display (SMD) is the leading player in the market with the largest capacity, while LG Display is actively following behind and AUO and CMI and actively becoming involved in the market.

Source

Last edited:
OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Seems like the above news was just a false rumor.

Source: Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

There Won’t Be a Tiny iPhone This Summer

Tiny iPhones! That's the biggest rumor about the next generation of iPhone. The Wall Street Journal's source even saw a prototype that's "about half the size of the iPhone 4" and "intended for sale alongside Apple's existing line." Cue the New York Times:

Apple's engineers are currently focused on finishing the next version of the iPhone, which is likely to be similar in size to the current iPhone 4, said one of the people. The person said Apple was not planning to introduce a smaller iPhone any time soon.

But why not? The NYT corroborates multiple reports that Apple's looking to make a cheaper iPhone, but says they'd do it by using cheaper guts, since a smaller phone wouldn't be much less expensive to make and it'd be harder to use. Says the main NYT source, who's "worked on multiple versions" of the iPhone, "Although the innards of the phone, including memory size or camera quality, could change to offer a less expensive model, the size of the device would not vary."

Will be there a second iPhone at all though? A senior Apple exec apparently said in a recent "private meeting" that it wouldn't make sense to have multiple iPhone models—just the current the model and last year's, sold for cheaper.

On the plus side, that free MobileMe revamp as a digital locker for all your stuff might finally be happening.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
tbh, I don't see any point in going for an iPhone now. yup, that is totally my opinion. Android is giving me full control over my mobile and this is what I actually want.

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
tbh, I don't see any point in going for an iPhone now. yup, that is totally my opinion. Android is giving me full control over my mobile and this is what I actually want.

I would still prefer it for no hardware flaws plus the Neat UI.

Top Bottom