Apple released Safari 4 with windows integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Apple finally announced its Safari browser ver 4. with Windows integration and adding some developer tools.

*images.apple.com/safari/images/whatsnew-windows-20090217.jpg

Safari 4 new features

Good to try..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
installed it.. looks great.. 100/100 in Acid 3. so that makes two browsers which have 100/100.. Opera 10 alpha and Safari 4 beta.. its nice to see that they adapted Aero instead of that ugly plasticy look of Mac OS X.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I already found couple of bugs in this.

1) I login to a webpage that automatically logs out my id if I do not do any activity for 5 mins. In safari 4, I login and within few seconds, whether I am working or not, it kicks me out

2) title is overlapped (same title is taken twice and is overlapped)

3) I tried to login to apple's support page using my appleid but when I try to click on Login tab, nothing happens. It does not take me to new page.

Note: TopSite is supercool :)

*img253.imageshack.us/img253/9431/bugsinsafari.th.jpg

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
It sucks man... uses 192 MB RAM in Windows 7 with just 4 tabs open.. and Apple is incorrectly referring that it is the first and the only browser to pass Acid 3 test.. Opera 10 alpha, Midori (Webkit based on Linux) also got 100/100 in Acid 3.

aura

Sync dreams to reality
Really great news I just checked the link send by you it is really a very improved and nicely made browser and appears to be much better than the rest of the browsers in the market today.

Let's see if the performance is good enough too and then I can really set it as my default web browser.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Looks like Apple ran out of features to Innovate :D

Google Chrome is a rip of the features provided by IE , Firefox & Opera. Safari 4 is a rip of Google Chrome, means both the major Webkit based browsers have nothing left to Innovate :D

Firefox had tab bar below the address bar, Google said "We will innovate & make the UI easy". So now in Chrome the tab bar is at the top of address Bar.

Apple said "We are the real innovators & will have the UI much easy & following to Apple UI guidelines". So they integrated the tab bar in title bar :D. WTF....it breaks the Apple UI guidelines on Mac OS itself.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Looks like Apple ran out of features to Innovate :D

Google Chrome is a rip of the features provided by IE , Firefox & Opera. Safari 4 is a rip of Google Chrome, means both the major Webkit based browsers have nothing left to Innovate :D

Really ? So you mean to say all "150" new features of Safari already exist on IE / Firefox /Chrome ? Boy..Did you even check the feature list before posting this comment ?

To me, some of the features are absolutely stunning and if implemented well, there is no doubt Safari is going to be very popular.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
.. and Apple is incorrectly referring that it is the first and the only browser to pass Acid 3 test.. Opera 10 alpha, Midori (Webkit based on Linux) also got 100/100 in Acid 3.
Don't you understand ? Apple is God !

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Really ? So you mean to say all "150" new features of Safari already exist on IE / Firefox /Chrome ? Boy..Did you even check the feature list before posting this comment ?.

I saw it already that's Y i wrote above. I wanted to save myself from typing each & every feature & showing that every other browser has many of those already.

Apple's Innovation department has gone bankrupt. They have no new user centric features in Snow Leopard & Safari

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^And what if I can prove that some features are not available on any browser till date ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lolz...so you want to write so much just to prove someone wrong over the internet? Seriously, how do U get so much time????

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
Lolz...so you want to write so much just to prove someone wrong over the internet? Seriously, how do U get so much time????

It hardly matters to anyone boy

LOL! Why are you scared if you are confident that your *rubbish* statement is actually true ? And dont bother about my time. I have all the time in the world to prove the anti-fanboys wrong when they are *indeed* wrong.

He is a secret agent :)

whatever makes you happy :)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
LOL! Why are you scared if you are confident that your *rubbish* statement is actually true?

here you go...:D

Apple mentioned some silly things as "Enhanced features of Sarari". I saw just some & closed the page, it wasn't worth reading. Let me just highlight the new features as shown on Safari Features page. These r features which affect the users, I am not counting the developer centric features like HTML 5 offline etc.

Full-Page Zoom
Zoom in or out on web content using keyboard shortcuts, Multi-Touch gestures, or the Zoom toolbar button for more comfortable reading. Images and graphics scale up while your text remains razor sharp, keeping the web page layout consistent as you zoom. To add the Zoom button to your toolbar, simply choose Customize toolbar from the View menu and drag the button onto your toolbar.
This is a new feature which was there in IE 7 for the first time.

Speculative Loading

Safari loads the documents, scripts, and style information required to view a web page ahead of time, so they’re ready when you need them.
Link prefetching in Firefox, IE, & Opera...already there since a very very long time.

Nitro JavaScript Engine

Safari 4 introduces the Nitro JavaScript engine, an advanced bytecode JavaScript engine that makes web browsing even faster. In fact, Safari 4 executes JavaScript up to 6 times faster than Internet Explorer 8 and up to 4 times faster than Firefox 3.1
Google Chrome's V8 Engine & Firefox's 3.1 new java script engine came long before Safari's Nitro.

Cover Flow

Using Cover Flow, you can flip through websites as easily as you flip through album art in iTunes. Cover Flow displays your bookmarks and history as large graphical previews, so you can pick out a website instantly.
History View

Take a closer look at your browsing history in the History view. Search for previously visited sites, drag web pages to your bookmarks, and clear individual items. Safari displays your history using Cover Flow, so you can flip through your search results as easily as you flip through iTunes album art.

A Good "Show off" feature. But no browser has something like this. Opera has speed dial, Chrome has something similar already though but not like a Cover Flow thing. I agree here, Kudos to Apple for giving something like this in a browser.

Top Sites

Safari automatically identifies your favorite sites and displays them as a wall of stunning graphical previews. To visit one of your top sites, just click any of the previews. As you browse, Safari identifies the websites you’re most interested in based on how often and how recently you visit a site. So as you explore the web and discover new websites, your top sites will change to match your evolving tastes.
Customize Number of Top Sites

To set the number of sites Safari displays on your Top Sites page, click the Edit button in Top Sites and choose Small, Medium, or Large in the lower-right corner to display 24, 12, or 6 site thumbnails, respectively.
Pin Top Sites

To organize your top sites the way you want, click the Edit button and drag site thumbnails to any position in the Top Sites grid. You can pin sites to specific locations by clicking the pushpin that appears over the site.

Opera's Speed Dial & Chrome had this long before safari. Even Firefox & IE had these by 3rd party extensions.

Smart Address Field

Enter web addresses quickly and easily. As you begin to type an address in the address field, Safari automatically completes it with the most likely match — called the Top Hit — and highlights it. Simply press the Enter key to connect to the site. If the Top Hit is not the site you intended to visit, check the list of relevant suggestions, drawn from your bookmarks and browsing history, that Safari displays. Click to select the site you want to visit.
Firefox's Awsome bar & Google Chrome's Omnibar.

Tabs on Top

In its new efficient and compact design, Safari integrates tabs at the top of your browser window, giving you more room to enjoy your favorite sites.
Middle-Click Pan and Scroll

In Windows, scroll vertically and horizontally through a web page by moving your mouse. Click the middle mouse button to enable the feature, then move the mouse in any direction to pan through the web content. Middle-click a second time to return to the normal mouse mode.
Save as Web Archive

Store important or private web documents — like receipts and invoices — on your hard drive as web archive files. While viewing a web document you want to keep, choose Save As from the File menu and then choose Web Archive. The page is stored on your computer in a single file with its text, graphics, and

Lolz...this is a feature? Tabs on top is a rip of Chrome. IE had MHTML support since IE 5. :D

Smart Search Field

Find what you’re looking for instantly. As you enter text in its search field, Safari recommends relevant searches courtesy of Google Suggest and lists your most recent searches, presenting them in an easy-to-read list.
Search suggestions r already there since a long time in Firefox & IE.

Inline Progress Indicator

Safari was the first browser to move the progress indicator into the address field, making it more visible and freeing up space for web content. At a glance, you can see exactly when a site is finished loading.
WTF....Opera 5.0 had this in 2002 long before Apple made Safari....shame on you apple.

Windows Native Look

If you’re using Safari on a PC with Windows Vista or Windows XP, you’ll feel right at home because Safari features a native look — just like other Windows applications — including a native title bar, borders, and toolbars.
Windows Font Rendering

Safari on Windows now uses Windows Standard fonts to deliver a more consistent experience. You can also choose to use Apple fonts. Thanks to the anti-aliasing algorithm in Safari, you enjoy crisp, gorgeous fonts. The algorithm preserves the subtleties of each font while rendering each character with a crispness that makes your favorite sites a pleasure to read.
Wow....what a gr8 feature (/sarcasm) & it still isn't following the UI Guidelines of Microsoft else they should have been using a UI like Windows Live Mail & IE 8. :D...I wonder, how does Firefox & IE 7 look like on Windows
And dont bother about my time. I have all the time in the world to prove the anti-fanboys wrong when they are *indeed* wrong.

Well, ok..U continue...I got a real job to do, right now in office, going on dinner date in night, then buying Tomb Raider Underworld...damn, I have a real life.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Now.. Apple says that its engine is the fastest in the world.. and they showed us some benchmarks too. now i was just checking around CNET and look what i've found !!!!

Now who do we believe.. maybe Apple.. coz Apple is GOD :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom