anybody tested the sx160 is?? And related suggestion.

dpkml

Broken In
Hi all,
I have heard some good words about the canon SX130 and then SX150. Good stuff at around 8k.
Recently the SX160 IS was launched and is available on ebay for around 11k.
I had made up my mind because I wanted a camera with manual settings around 10k
I just want to learn all the intricacies of photography before jumping onto a DSLR.
Can you please suggest a camera that will suit my needs and budget?
I do nature,portraits,macro,pet photography! AA batteries aint an issue.

Deep

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You may have to buy a quick charger and extra batteries if you go for AA powered camera. It would cost around 1k...

SX160 is just out... not many reviews for this camera. But I hope, this would be a decent camera.

If you are OK with low battery and slow performance, you can go for SX150 or SX160.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Is it a good decision to get SX160is + batteries and charger for 12k?

Better buy TZ25 Panasonic TZ25 Digital camera With MFG Warranty | eBay
- Fast performance
- Better battery
- Better IQ
- All manual controls except manual focus (compared to SX160)
- In camera HDR, faster focus

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Very nice suggestion...

Deep,
Have you ever used any camera before? Usually it's not suggested for newbies to go for used DSLR, but since you wanted to learn and upgrade to DSLR you may think about this choice as well... You may get old DSLR (about 5yrs) and a kit lens/50mm prime in your budget...

OP
D

dpkml

Broken In
^ Very nice suggestion...

Deep,
Have you ever used any camera before? Usually it's not suggested for newbies to go for used DSLR, but since you wanted to learn and upgrade to DSLR you may think about this choice as well... You may get old DSLR (about 5yrs) and a kit lens/50mm prime in your budget...

Thanks. I have considered that already, but I have never been very enthusiastic about second hand stuff. I just need to play around with ISO ,shutter speeds and stuff till I get the DSLR. Besides, my family might want to use it for family portraits.
I am okay with a slow flash and battery issues, but I seriously don't want the shutter lag that I had on my galaxy Note.(I presume that it is not an issue with the digital cameras).
I think that you have an SX130 and your pics are really good.
Now, I have been skimming through the past threads and the Panasonic has been a favourite everywhere.
But, my major issue is that I want to limit myself to 10k and need a new camera with manual settings.

OP
D

dpkml

Broken In
Is it a good decision to get SX160is + batteries and charger for 12k?

Better buy TZ25 Panasonic TZ25 Digital camera With MFG Warranty | eBay
- Fast performance
- Better battery
- Better IQ
- All manual controls except manual focus (compared to SX160)
- In camera HDR, faster focus

Good Camera this is. I mean REALLY good. I have seen the sample images and they are amazing.But again, the problem is the budget and thats just 10k .

nac

Aspiring Novelist
So for 10k with manual controls you have very few choices here...

SX150 + quick charger and extra batteries would fit
S2950/2980 may fit under 10k but quick charger and extra batteries would exceed your budget.

TZ18 would nicely fit in your budget. Take your time and compare what you gain with this cam against SX150 and what you will lose and pick the one you like and find best suit your needs.

Note: It's a discontinued model but still you can find it in ebay...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^Yeah, CHDK is a good thing. Let see what OP decides...

All the SX series cameras have digic 5 procy except SX160 and SX500. It would be excellent if this low end SX160 equipped with digic 5.

sujoyp

Grand Master
if not TZ25 then I would also suggest SX150/160 ...they are great performers...and very nice learning tool for newbies...specially coz it wont fit in pockets and neither will a DSLR in future :D :D

OP
D

dpkml

Broken In
So for 10k with manual controls you have very few choices here...

SX150 + quick charger and extra batteries would fit
S2950/2980 may fit under 10k but quick charger and extra batteries would exceed your budget.

TZ18 would nicely fit in your budget. Take your time and compare what you gain with this cam against SX150 and what you will lose and pick the one you like and find best suit your needs.

Note: It's a discontinued model but still you can find it in ebay...

That is a good piece of advice. I didnt think about the batteries that i would have to buy.
hmm... Fuji makes me dicey. Never heard anything good(or bad) about their cameras. How do you like it?

And hey! TZ18 ... I just saw its reviews. Pretty nice little camera for 9999 bucks. have you heard good things about it from someone who has it?

OP
D

dpkml

Broken In
if not TZ25 then I would also suggest SX150/160 ...they are great performers...and very nice learning tool for newbies...specially coz it wont fit in pockets and neither will a DSLR in future :D :D

:mrgreen: good point you have there!
but please tell me, SX150 is considered really good by a lot of people. are there any features that should make me buy the SX160 over 150? Its just that MP's dont matter to me(ofcourse),but they say that canon has drastically improved the auto-focus time in the new model. Was it that bad in the 150?

titlingkm

Broken In
but please tell me, SX150 is considered really good by a lot of people. are there any features that should make me buy the SX160 over 150? Its just that MP's dont matter to me(ofcourse),but they say that canon has drastically improved the auto-focus time in the new model. Was it that bad in the 150?

Poor Battery..only 90 to 100 shots..
better you get some second hand sx150..can make by rs.5k/4k..

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I didnt think about the batteries that i would have to buy.
You will need extra batteries and quick charger for sure. Else you have to wait for looooong time to charge your batteries with standard recharger.
hmm... Fuji makes me dicey. Never heard anything good(or bad) about their cameras. How do you like it?
S2950 is one of the most popular camera in flickr. S2980 is just little upgrade from S2950.
And hey! TZ18 ... I just saw its reviews. Pretty nice little camera for 9999 bucks. have you heard good things about it from someone who has it?
I don't know anyone who owns TZ18, but I have used TZ10 (predecessor with GPS). It's nice and smooth... You don't have to worry about extra batteries and quick charger here... Battery life is better than SX150. I have extensively used SX130, so I prefer Canon over Panasonic.
Both the cameras do have + and - It's up to you...

Now this is something that I am still trying to figure out. RAW or Jpeg or RAW+Jpeg ... and then there is CHDK
can you please explain it to me briefly cz seriously wikipedia is no help here
CHDK is just third party hack... with which you can enable some feature which is not actually available in the original firmware.
Note: CHDK is for Canon cameras only.

You will get extra zoom with SX160. Not sure how improve the AF is...

Poor Battery..only 90 to 100 shots..
better you get some second hand sx150..can make by rs.5k/4k..

It's not that pathetic :)... With decent NiMH batteries on an average you would get around 180shots per recharge (normal usage). It's depends on usage... There was guy who claims he got over 900 shots per recharge.

hmmm... okay. but is there some online source from where we can get second hand cams?

I wouldn't suggest anyone to go for second hand compact unless if it's from known source and few days to a month old cam...

sujoyp

Grand Master
what I saw online is the new SX160 have 4x more zoom,faster shutter speed, better battery life and slightly better focus
SX150 have bit more ISO range and its cheaper

in any case you have to buy rechargable cells and charger

OP
D

dpkml

Broken In
You will need extra batteries and quick charger for sure. Else you have to wait for looooong time to charge your batteries with standard recharger.

S2950 is one of the most popular camera in flickr. S2980 is just little upgrade from S2950.

I don't know anyone who owns TZ18, but I have used TZ10 (predecessor with GPS). It's nice and smooth... You don't have to worry about extra batteries and quick charger here... Battery life is better than SX150. I have extensively used SX130, so I prefer Canon over Panasonic.
Both the cameras do have + and - It's up to you...

CHDK is just third party hack... with which you can enable some feature which is not actually available in the original firmware.
Note: CHDK is for Canon cameras only.

You will get extra zoom with SX160. Not sure how improve the AF is...

It's not that pathetic :)... With decent NiMH batteries on an average you would get around 180shots per recharge (normal usage). It's depends on usage... There was guy who claims he got over 900 shots per recharge.

I wouldn't suggest anyone to go for second hand compact unless if it's from known source and few days to a month old cam...

I must admit that I have been ignorant about Fuji, just because I was inclined towards nikon and canon for no apparent reason.
I read the reviews about s2950 , and noone was praising it. But flicker tells a very different story. Its got a lot of fan-following. And it clicks good pics as well.
I personally felt that SX150 has more grainy but more life-like photos, and s2950 has lesser grain and a better body.
What do you think ?

what I saw online is the new SX160 have 4x more zoom,faster shutter speed, better battery life and slightly better focus
SX150 have bit more ISO range and its cheaper

in any case you have to buy rechargable cells and charger

Cheaper and more ISO range. I think that SX150 is the better option out of the two.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Go for SX160
- CHDK lets you to shoot upto 12800 (although CHDK is not available now... will take 6 months)
- ISO1600 is useless... Maximum you can use is ISO400
- You are getting more zoom
- SX160 is sleek looking

Top Bottom