Anybody installed Solaris 10 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^fdisk says that..also since I have one primary partition C having windows already installed ..frm which tool I can divide it into two primary partition ?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^fdisk says that..also since I have one primary partition C having windows already installed ..frm which tool I can divide it into two primary partition ?

I know that the DOS "fdisk" says that... ;) but it's limitation of "fdisk" :p

I suggest you use Partition Editor(Gparted) in Ubuntu Live CD or Gparted Live CD or use Qtparted in Knoppix...
If you want Windows based tool, use Partition Magic, but I havent tried it...

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
yeah.. it's working on VMware.. but you'll need a good amount of RAM for that.. 2 GB should do fine

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
On a system as Liverpool said, there can be a max of 4 paritions (Primary + Extended). Now its upto you how you choose the combination. You can re-partition your drive and create another Primary Partition to install Solaris.

Solaris requires a primary partition because of the file system issues. It also creates a number of smaller partitions by itself.

vamsi360

Always confused
solaris in my system and laptop is really slow while starting. There are problems even with the sound card but after installing opensolaris 2008.11 all things are fine.

Use opensolaris 2008.11 for practicing UNIX than FreeBSD because the installation is easy.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Err.. actually i don't have VMWare... i use Virtualbox.. firstly.. make a image of the disc if you can.. it will make the installation much, much faster...

Then start virtualbox.. and click on new..
then select Solaris/OpenSolaris from the menu...
Allocate about 768 MB RAM to it..
and about 10 GB Hard Disk space to it..
then click on settings..
if you have a AMD processor then click on enable AMD-V and if Intel Core series then also click on it..

Now for the installation you can follow these steps

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
yeah.. it will automatically create a disk file .. VDI (Virtualbox Disk Image) and it will keep filling it automatically.. so all your 10 GB will not be allocated at once.. unless you select that option.. you just follow the steps in Virtualbox.. they're damn easy..

no need to partition Hard Disk.. just start Virtualbox..

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^arre nahin re..itni kanjoosi hoti to office roz 45 kms car se na jata :D

Its the headache of burning CD and then kuch iso main jhol to fir panga

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yeah, if its just for trial purposes even I'd recommend installing it in a Virtual Environment. Thats the easiest possible installation.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Installed OS 11 on Virtualbox..Thanks all...but its not recogniaing sound card and screen max resolution supported is 1024*768 pixels ...Any solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom