Any tips for a new Labrador Retriever owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I've been trying to put our two dogs six feet under for a long time now. This method will be very efficient. I'll be the loving guy who gives chocolate to the dog :D

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
with cats no worry of p00ping! :D
Dogs should be kept always outside the house.atleast thats what sane ppl does ;)

Sorry for barging in so late ...was away ....to visit Mom & Dad & spend my Bday with them

Who says Cats p00p outside......a kitten away from its mommy cat won't
My mom once raised a kitten bcause its mom died ...& the lil one always p00ped inside the house & inside perfect hidden corners....

Well, I sure hope he does. If he kept nipping me like that even after becoming a full grown Labrador Retriever, I might as well just hack off my limbs myself and feed it to him.

Well arya ...there is one ol trick to wane any bad habit ....
My cousin bro's pup used to chew my toes then later our shoes ,slippers....especially the rubber models & also ripped apart a sofa when we left her alone in the house for 18 hours...everyone had to go .....

Then my aunty told of one trick ....
Hold the puppy still after committing any bad habit...like catch it when it chews ur slippers......gently tap its nose .....they are its sensitive part & they dont generally like tapping .....

Also check whether its nose is dry...if so ...then they require water

Ur dog is a he ...so treat it like a kid brother.....i dont have any sisters nor brothers & my dog is my sister ...better yet she is my mom's First Child/Daughter.....

Oh & if u have the habit of toasting bread with butter .....puppies luv the smell of it & avoid giving it to ur temptations.....so goes for pasteries which have cream on it...like cake....

I will tell an interesting story..

My dad's friend came to see us & gave a large box containing 6 Black forest cakes...yea the same black forest [from nilgiris...its on of the best bakery shops in the chennai ...yeah the superstore near mylapore]

we holed out 2 ....and left the box on the centerpiece & went to the garden for speaking .....my siesta [i call her rhyming it with sister.....get the meaning ...always asleep]pushed the box down & lapped up every tiny morsel in the box & licked it clean ...slumped down right next to it...when we came in Uncle was laughing a lot....we on the other hand felt ashamed.....she never ate 2 meals after that...no punishment ...rather !! the effect of Black forest

Yeah saw the photos man...too cute puppy...like grudge says every kiddo looks beautifull....

also veggy diet is good for the labrador pups man.....no hassles for it...except for the guard dogs......the big indigeneos Indian Dogs the korai ,rajapalayam etc.,

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well arya ...there is one ol trick to wane any bad habit ....
My cousin bro's pup used to chew my toes then later our shoes ,slippers....especially the rubber models & also ripped apart a sofa when we left her alone in the house for 18 hours...everyone had to go .....

Then my aunty told of one trick ....
Hold the puppy still after committing any bad habit...like catch it when it chews ur slippers......gently tap its nose .....they are its sensitive part & they dont generally like tapping .....
OK, I’ll try that when he’s older. Thanks! :)

I think Happy is herbivorous or something. He likes to eat grass and leaves. :p

xbonez

NP : Crysis
yeah...whenever they can't digest food or their tummy is upset, they'll eat grass...it helps them to throw up. don't stop it from doing so coz otherwise it'll be very uncomfortable

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
But it’s not even two months old yet and is being fed only cerelac mixed with water and a few medicines. Why would it have trouble digesting?

I think it doesn’t know that dogs aren’t supposed to eat grass…

xbonez

well, generally dog eats grass due to indigestion and stuff....but currently its only a puppy and my bet is its eating simply out of curiosity...puppies like to put anything new in their mouth. especially since its vaccines aren't complete yet, you shudn't let it eat grass or mud

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, that’s what I figured. I stuck my fingers into its mouth (I’d never been courageous enough to do that before but this is my dog, so I was pretty sure it wouldn’t bite me) and got out whatever I could, bit I guess it swallowed a little.

I hope it doesn’t mess up with his system or anything.

narangz

Web developer
Let it eat grass. It doesn't harm dogs. Just dont let him over eat food which will cause indigestion & vomitings.

Ask such questions also in the forum link I gave previously. You'll get professional advice :)

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
OK, I’ll try that when he’s older. Thanks! :)

I think Happy is herbivorous or something. He likes to eat grass and leaves. :p

Sheesh arya ....what others say its true

Doggies eat leaves....prefer [Arugampull] in tamil.....what lord Ganapathy Loves...try googling the name for its equivalent.....try to digest things...this is instinct

Try keeping 2 bowls...one for food & one for Water.....give it plenty of water...i guess ur pup hasn't drunk water a lot....

one more tip....sukkling is innate for puppies....miss their mom....guess what ...He will listen to u rather than others in the house....so go ahead for training

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Try keeping 2 bowls...one for food & one for Water.....give it plenty of water...i guess ur pup hasn't drunk water a lot....
Not at all. The vet said that I shouldn’t feed it any water for a week, so I haven’t. Should I?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
No water for the pup? :O I'm really not sure about that! IMO you should give him water! But im skeptical now since the vet has asked you specifically not to do it :| Anyway, wait for others to respond :)

xbonez

i'll just reiterate arya...while dogs naturally eat grass, and you shudn't stop a grown up dog from following its instincts, your is a pup at the moment, and it wudn't even have completed all its vaccines yet. So, DO NOT let it eat grass. my vet had told me not to take misha out on mud and grass until she was atleast 3 months old

ArZuNeOs

In the zone
yeah me too am confused with the vet

Observe Happy.....is he panting.....breathing abnormally ....sleeping with eyes open ...tongues out....

confirm with the vet ....also tell to him that Happy is feeding on grass & suckles ...ur observations on the above.....mostly would mean nothing but still check it out
Also check whether the food is warm and not cold....warm and not hot...

does the room temp is too hot or is he strolling in the AC room....

BTW how many times do u feed him..

narangz

Web developer
i'll just reiterate arya...while dogs naturally eat grass, and you shudn't stop a grown up dog from following its instincts, your is a pup at the moment, and it wudn't even have completed all its vaccines yet. So, DO NOT let it eat grass. my vet had told me not to take misha out on mud and grass until she was atleast 3 months old

Mud & grass don't harm a pup & I am amazed why the vet told Aayush to not give it water. Water won't hurt in summers & it's not that small! Aayush, please ask at that forum!
*familydog.yuku.com/directory

Just don't let it eat mud and don't let street dogs come near it. Playing in mud & grass won't hurt. Strange logic.

xbonez

Mud & grass don't harm a pup & I am amazed why the vet told Aayush to not give it water. Water won't hurt in summers & it's not that small! Aayush, please ask at that forum!
*familydog.yuku.com/directory

Just don't let it eat mud and don't let street dogs come near it. Playing in mud & grass won't hurt. Strange logic.

mud and grass contain a lot of germs and a pup's tummy is very sensitive...he can get a lot of infections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom