Any tips for a new Labrador Retriever owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Like MetalHead told, chocolates are poisonous, but I don't see my neighbour's dog showing any signs of heart attack :D Well, it's VERY fat and it's so damn lazy to even bark!! They feed it all kinds of junk. If they don't know how to handle dogs, I don't know why people want to get them. Aayush, make sure you put a place somewhere outside the house with lot of newspapers. Dogs like to pee on 'em. I've heard a lot of people say this, though I personally don't own a pet, I constantly hear stuff from my cousin :)

Labradors need lot of exercise. Take him for a jog or let him run in the evenings or mornings where there is less traffic. But make sure he doesn't interact with the strays in anyway.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! This is like information overload. :p

I can't take it out of the house right now. The vet advised me to keep it inside in its infancy.

For those of you who wanted to see some pictures, here you go:

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2509012336_2a2ae655cb.jpg

Click on it to go to my photo gallery. I have nine more pictures there. :)

I don't have a good camera, so the indoor pictures suck. If I find him sleeping with sunshine falling on him, I'll snap a few decent pictures.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Labrador Retriever puppies are some of the cutest. It's a shame that they grow so fast though.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
It looks cho chweet in the photo..............Congrats Ayush, thats a real sweet dog!!!!I wish i had one....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Mine is biting me a lot though and I can't honestly say it doesn't hurt. Gotta get it some toys to chew on.
You should discourage it from chewing or biting. Its your hands right now, will be foot accessories in no time :D

You mean, not right away? I'd been thinking of starting when it was a couple months old.
You can start as soon as the dog starts responding to what you say (you will know when is the "right" time yourself :p ) The earlier, the better.

OK, so how do you propose I teach it to excrete out of the house? And when it does it in the house (and it seems to do so every half an hour), is there any easy way to clean it, without getting down and dirty?
Scold him.. They understand when you are angry at them, and they also realize their mistake (they will even start apologizing to you in no time :D ). If you wanna be more stern, use the newspaper trick.. Roll up a newspaper, and hit it on the floor next to the dog. Pretending to hit the dog also works (act like its a HUGE punch, and then just stop close to the dog, and just slightly touch it :p )

Oh, that's a useful tip. I'd been thinking of giving it pure cow's milk. Should I purchase those Himul packets for it instead?
Make sure the milk is diluted.. Its actually the same kinda milk that is fed to human babies.. Ask your mom, she would know :)

So, are you a vegetarian too? Is your dog healthy and playful on a vegetarian diet?
Both my dogs are also healthy on a veg diet. They are given chapaties with milk and some sugar (or horlics) and sometimes even some Jaggery. Also they are given one chewstick a day (ask your vet about this). The chewstick is good for fur and their teeth.

Also, would it mind if I kept it in the shed below and not in our flat itself? We have our own two-storied house so space is not an issue but since my father doesn't want it roaming in the house (and spreading its smell), we want to make it stay in a crate below.
Dogs live for affection, it will certainly not like it if he sleeps without company :(

Once again, congrats on your new pet :D

One more thing i noticed in the pic in which your sister is holding him. That's not the correct way to hold a puppy. You should ALWAYS keep his feet together (put your hands on his shoulders and sorta push em together while holding him) otherwise his legs would get deformed and it doesn't look good :(

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You should discourage it from chewing or biting. Its your hands right now, will be foot accessories in no time :D

You should ALWAYS keep his feet together (put your hands on his shoulders and sorta push em together while holding him) otherwise his legs would get deformed and it doesn't look good :(
let it chew your fingers :D puppys got suckling habits and nothing satisfies more than that. I guess his teeth are too weak to harm you. Remember its a member of ur family and shares every right that you do.

yeah do care abt the legs.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, its teeth may be weak but they sure are sharp, man. They'll definitely pierce my skin if I allow it to really sink them into it. So I just let it nip a little and then jerk my hand/foot away when it pricks.

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations and for calling the puppy cute. :p

Thanks for the words of wisdom, kalpik. Do you think I should employ a dog trainer?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I don't, but I'm not sure I have what it takes to train it to do the simplest and most essential of tasks, like sit, stay, heel, etc.

I don't want to keep trying for a few months and end up unsuccessful with an unruly dog. Also, I just wish I had someone who'd cleanup after the dog for me. :p

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Lol! One more thing.. You are saying its crapping every half an hour.. I think something is wrong with him if he's doing that every half an hour :|

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
na matter what you give your pet as food, NEVER EVER GIVE CHOCOLATEs.

it cause long term liver damage & ulimately kills. :|

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I know. No chocolates.

Lol! One more thing.. You are saying its crapping every half an hour.. I think something is wrong with him if he's doing that every half an hour :|
It pees that frequently. The crapping is limited to twice daily. Every half an hour might be a slight exaggeration, but it sure pees more than ten times throughout the day.

hAppy....!! Thats what he's calling it..!
LOL! You guys can spot even non-existent relations to Apple. :lol:

By the way, what's the name of it? iPuppy, iDoggy, iTommy???:)
Hey, it's not too late. I think I'll call it iHappy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom