any linux OSes that play vcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR RANJAN

Broken In
i am using ubuntu. it mounts vcd but does not play it. it also doesnt play .DAT files. plz suggest me other linux distro!!!

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
hi ,i'm not ubuntu user but trying 2 help u nd u can play .Dat files on ubuntu .click on link nd read.
*help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/index.html

another helpful link:-
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

nd u r asking other linux Distro .Fedora is best.

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
should work. Ubuntu is quite user friendly. Does your cd player work well in other os, like windows? I mean is it a hardware problem or something?

OP
DR RANJAN

DR RANJAN

Broken In
thnx

mehulved said:
How did you mount a VCD? Try Play VCD in GMplayer or Totem or VLC.

I am using vlc, mplayer, xine player but all are fail to play.VCD mount on ubuntu but still problem in copying files..... "I/O problem"

I have sony dvd+rw that works well in windows (daul boot)
however i copy some vcd files(with DAT extension). and in ubuntu edit file name...by del extnsion or replase by avi. and now it could be played.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can't mount VCD files just like that. VCD's use a different file system not iso9660.
Give the output of
Code:
ls -al /dev/vcd

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Your thread title is misleading,"any linux OSes that play vcd", I almost feel like changing that to,"any linux OSes that don't play vcd !" Please install Mplayer your problem should be solved

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
You have VLC right? Open it, then click file, then click on open disk. Select the type as VCD and give the path to CD (hdb,hdc whatever).

If you can mount the CD, then this method works. As far as directly playing dat files that are not in a VCD structure, VLC does that too. (ie :- you can play them as well).

(I have not tested this method on Ubuntu, but it works in SuSE, and it should work in Ubuntu also)(Should, not will).

Aditya

faraaz

Evil Genius
Sabayon plays VCD out of the box, doesn't it? I remember reading that on the Sabayon forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom