Any guesses on the name & specs of the ASUS phone. launching this August?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
GoPro

Im totally with hating narcissistic tendencies of people the world over, but don't hate the tech, seen selfie sticks being used to take photos of snakes without disturbing them. What if people want to take the photos, but not share with anyone, but keep it for themselves.
And even if totally narcisstic, it's kind of cute to document every event with a selfie as a memory... little funny, little sad.

Now you are all so angry and excited about hating, that you have not considered the alternative. look at all the selfies, and imagine them without the people. So empty. Imagine pictures of adventure sports... mountain climbing, rafting, skydiving, without the people.
Now I like to photograph brick walls, cement walls, walls with paint peeling off them, dilapidated walls with creepers growing all over them. But Im desperate to find someone, anyone, to look and smile for the camera in front of these walls, because it adds context and a reference point. No one is going to look at pictures of walls, otherwise.

Oh also, the tactile feedback on the shutter button, as against a tap, feels like it gives more control, especially because you can control exposure and focus with a half click on that button itself, instead of tapping all around the screen to get what you want, which might change by the time you get to tapping the click button after adjusting the exposure and focus

sujoyp

Grand Master
Regarding relevence of P&S ...I would say the day mobile cams have 1 inch sensor like RX100 the day I will stop using P&S and shift completely on mobile for random occasions.

Right now mobile cams does not produce much detailed pics..they are no doubt good for web sharing but useless for editing or low light shoots. I remember samsung releasing a camera which had a mirror on front to take self pics. or some sony cam saying that the screen can be rotated to take self pics..I would say selfy with P&S is cumbersome, although I even took selfy with D7000 ;)

Due to soo many type of photographic needs now I have a advance P&S S90 which takes awesome pics on random occasions, a DSLR for planned trips and occasions, a sony XZL mobile with 13mp cam when no other cam is available and its front selfy cam :D

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Regarding relevence of P&S ...I would say the day mobile cams have 1 inch sensor like RX100 the day I will stop using P&S and shift completely on mobile for random occasions.

Right now mobile cams does not produce much detailed pics..they are no doubt good for web sharing but useless for editing or low light shoots.

Pureview,Carl Zeiss and Sony Exmor!!! I think they are good enough to replace P & S (not high zoom,RX100 types but better than regular ones imho)

OP
N

NirmalKartha92916

Digit Brand Team
If I am to understand, it *could* be just a matter of time (and specifications) till P&S cameras get cannibalised by smartphones (or whatever they will be called, in the future).

If you are a smartphone giant and believe that the concept of taking selfies is the real deal, how will you conceptualise the perfect selfie-taking phone? Stuff like making the device as light as possible without compromising on processor and battery etc. Are there any smartphones (like the ASUS Zenfone Selfie) out there that does justice to this thinking?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
while you are right about cameras embedded in things to get drastically better
enthusiasts still use film. It is not a matter of time and specifications, it is about sharing resources (battery, memory, cost of the device) among many functions (Smartphone) as against dedicating it to one purpose (p&s). So it is possible that people will chose a P&S in some situations, even if the phone counterparts are better.

for a perfect selfie taking phone.
one thing you can do is have a large sensor.
wide angle lense or option. Good for getting background, and good for groups
give good battery life, yes
Have a good front camera, guess HTC Desire Eye made this mistake with their selfie phone
get technology from established camera brands, or from those known for making good tech for smartphones... Sony, Carl Zeiss, Nikon, Leica maybe
sub 5 inch screen - to operate with one hand

OP
N

NirmalKartha92916

Digit Brand Team
Okay. If you look at what, say ASUS, launched this ZenFestival which happened this August 6th, they talked a lot about the imaging capabilities of the Zenfone Laser and the Selfie. It's not the first time that Laser Focus has been implemented in a phone, but ASUS managed to pack that technology into an under-10K phone, which I think is pretty good.

What do you think about ASUS's move, in terms of the Indian market and the expectations that had been mentioned along the thread? Plus, if you guys had to pick a favourite between the Zenfone Selfie (name withstanding) and the Zenfone Laser - which one would be it, in terms of the expected photography experience?

In case you haven't attended/watched it, here's the youtube link to ZenFestival.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
then just beat it on the specifications. Any other features are an extra and if it is not the best specced phone in the price range, it is just a "waste of money". At the very least ditch the name "selfie"

like the phone, esp the dual tone flash

Nerevarine

Incarnate
absolutely agree with what anorion said, +1
get technology from established camera brands, or from those known for making good tech for smartphones... Sony, Carl Zeiss, Nikon, Leica maybe
especially this !

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Get technology from established camera brands, or from those known for making good tech for smartphones... Sony, Carl Zeiss, Nikon, Leica maybe

Idea world scenario. Not going to happen methinks. Camera guys aren't making lenses and sensors with phones in mind. Their R&D isn't that field, and thus for them to attempt to do so, a phone might have to fund an R&D team for a camera brand... that's unlikely.

I wish the world worked collaboratively, and maybe some brands will come together and prove me wrong, but I think the probability is low, sadly. Interestingly, Sony, for example, has their hands in both pies, so perhaps it would actually be beneficial for competitors in both segments to team up against it...

What I really wish even one company would do is to be motivated by something other than greed...

potatoboy

Broken In
"get technology from established camera brands, or from those known for making good tech for smartphones... Sony, Carl Zeiss, Nikon, Leica maybe"

I agree with this. Nokia did it with Carl Zeiss, Xiaomi is doing it with Sony. Also, are there any Canon components used in mobile phones? Surprising if there aren't!

$hadow

Geek in making
Earlier people used to look for display, size and powerful internal hardware. But these are reaching a saturation point with every year of progress. Now every one is looking for a camera which can if not completely replace their P&S atleast can compensate for it's non availiblity at times. I was pumped at the Zf2 launch but the camera review it got were too bad and later on when i tested the camera after the so called update it wasn't up to the mark. So getting a higher pixel count is one thing and getting a perfect combination of powerful software with a tested camera sensor should be a top priority.

palka79

Right off the assembly line
Asus is all set with a global product launch in India via grand ZenFestival 2015 in end of August. i think it is going to be Asus Zenfone Selfie, with great specifications- 5.5" scree, Octa-core processor, 2GB/3GB RAM, 13 MP front-facing camera. It will definitely be a great buy if it will be reasionably priced.
and Asus Zenfone Zoom will be for photographers with awesome specs and features like 4 GB RAM, 13 MP rear camera with autofocus & 3x optical zoom. It is being commercially promoted with a tagline "ultimate design, performance & photography experience”.
One more Asus smartphone to be launched will be Asus ZenFone Go ZC500TG which will be a budget smartphone.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Finally a review from GSMArena.

Asus Zenfone Selfie review: Vanity light - GSMArena.com

(Still hoping Asus drops the stupid "selfie" moniker from the phone's name)

I would like to add some thing too.

People dont want "great" front cameras... they want front cameras that MAKE THEM LOOK GOOD. Its should be renamed as "Vanity Cam"
People dont want front cameras that IS SO CLEAR that it shows their wrinkles, acnes, scars... they want front cameras that make them look like a super model. Majority, including me, use "beautify" effect on default because i dont wanna look like an ogre. Reality suxx, i wanna look better than what i do in reality XD XD

This is the reason why most selfies are taken using third part apps like Youcam,Beautycam,..etc etc and other 100s of other cam software made by Chinese software devs.

Here are some areas where Asus should focus on:
1) Good software package. Get all those awesome rear cam features to the front camera. If you can add even 50% of the features offered by rear cam, people will start using Asus's front cam software more.
2) Huge Camera sensors. Now you all may be calling me noob for this but it admit it, from marketing point of view it makes sense. HTC One M series have awesome 4mpx UltraPixel at the front.,,better than 99.99% of smartphones out there when it comes to selfies... But if girls want to buy a phone for great Instagram selfies, they will go for the ones with 8-13mpx count, not the HTC One M series (cant blame them)
3) At least f2.2 aparture lens on selfie cam.. and make it AS WIDE ANGLE AS POSSIBLE
4) Boke' effect on selfie cam (sorry if i spelt that wrong), preferably with Live preview of the effect.
5) Please go easy on phone size and weight. Taking selfies, specially group selfies using a HUGE PHONE IS A PAIN, specially for the weaker sex with thin and frail hands :D . Taking picture with the new Zenfone Selfie is an effort in itself due to its bulkiness
6) Market your phones separately for girls and guys. If you blast your smartphone ads with terms like "SUPER SELFIE" "SUPERB FRONT CAM" etc etc you are gonna alienate a vast majority of male buyers (specially the Moto/Nexus crowd who dont want to be part of the superficial crowd). Make Zenfone 3 Selfie appealing to girls (with Snapdragon 410, 5 inch screen, ultra thin, low battery, 120-130gms and super duper front cam) and Zenfone 3 Pro for guys (with Snapdragon 810,5+inch screen, thick with big battery, 150+gms , small sensor but high pixel size rear camera with TONS of Manual modes)
7) Please no 4K. Its useless. Quality is worse than 1080p...phone gets burning hot, you cant take videos for long and modern phones done have external memory expansion, sharing your videos with ur friends via bluetooth takes an entire day :D. Taking a 4k video of a basketball match= internal memory full!! The current standard of video encoding is poor and inefficient. Please, no 4k please. How many of you even take videos at 4k? Probably once or twice when you first bought your phone... after that you probably never touched 4k.

Top Bottom