Antivirus Woes......

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
I had installed Mcfee on Windows XP.........I found it self (Mcfee) as a virus........

It used to download updates but failed to install the updates............(it took hours but never really installed the updates)

Eventually My computer used to hang...........

I switch over to Windows Vista..........

Some one suggested me Trend Micro PC Cillin as an antivirus.....

Just when PC Cillin was about to get installed power went off....

When I restarted my comp.....I found no short icon of the antivirus in the "All Programs" and rightly so bcoz installation wasn't completed successfully.......

How ever Program files under C:\ do contained a folder named "Trend Micro PC cillin"

When i went to ADD n REMOVE section it had no idea about the antivirus...

Also when i try to reinstall it shows that it already contains the software and asks me to uninstall it first....

I am between the deep and the devil sea.........

Plz help me....How to uninstall the antivirus...........................

ALSO PLEASE SUGGEST SOME GOOD ANTIVIRUS FOR VISTA....IT SHOULD NOT BE BULKY........PLZ PLZ HELP ME......

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I use AVG Antivirus v 7.5.466 with my version of Vista RC2
It works well and does not use much of System's resources
Try it.

Which version of PC Cillin are u using ?

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
2007 15.30--PC cilllin

Does AVG updates the definitions.........????

Guys and Gals...........PLEASE plz SUGGEST ME SOME REALLY GOOD ANTIVIRUS FOR VISTA.....

Please share your anti virus experience with me......WAITING FOR YOUR REPLIES...

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Run a registry cleaner... You can also go to regedit and delete references to PCCillin and Trend Micro (search by names and also by folder path)... After restart, try again to install PCCillin... Hopefully, it will install properly this time... By the Way, dont you have a decent UPS that gives 15 minutes backup? If not, seriously consider it...

Arun

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Actually I have two pcs on a LAN.......Unfortunately both my PCs were on during that time...... And I was hit by the tragedy.....By the way I have APC 500 ES.......Also can u please suggest step by step process to clean the registry......I have never done before....

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Scan your pc with ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com.
Delete the entries found by it.
After that install avast! antivirus.Very good free antivirus which is light on your system & also does a good job at detecting viruses.
Get it from www.avast.com

anandk

Distinguished Member
try a system restore 1st, if u can, to a good point b4 ur trble started. u can ofcourse do as sgstd above too.

my kis (kaspersky) works nicely with vista; btw. or else avg also is said to work comfrtbly with vista.

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Unfortunately I have installed the VISTA today only and few minutes after that I tried to install PC CILLIN..........So I guess registry edit is a better option......can anyone plz suggest step by step process to clear the registry.......

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Simple method would be to delete the folder in the Program Files and then use Ccleaner to clean junk and also to clean the registry.

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
@Kiran_tech
I did exactly the same thing what u said..........but still I am not being able to reinstall the antivirus......It still says that same version still persists....plz help............

anandk

Distinguished Member
so on ur windows, an old mcafee instlatn is preventing a new pclin instal, m i correct ?

try deleting the foll0wing registry key then : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\MSC

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
@anandk
No man...Mcfee was on XP...Its all gone....Previous PC cillin (which was incompletely installed) is preventing the new and fresh installation of same version PC cillin.....also man I am not that familiar with windows...basically i use LINUX...and i m using this " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ....bla...bla" stuff for the first time.....so can u please tell how to exactly use it....(where to go and how to start)....c_cleaner has also not helped me....also can anyone please how to use ccleaner to suffice my needs....

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Ok. Then you need to do it manually. This problem has been faced by many other too.
Before telling you step-by-step method of manual removal, can you clarify me which version of PC-Cillin did you try to install earlier?

shantanu

Technomancer
Vista wont let any regcleaner delete its reg values etc. i faced this problem or troma for a week and then i edited the registry manually, but you got to first take owner ship of registry.. go to Drive:\windows\ and right click regedit and then edit the security features and take ownership and give full control to your name... and then on the start menu if you enabled run then in it , if not then in the search bar type regedit and press ENTER... press F3 and type the keywords and pccillin in search box... search and delete the entries which suggest you as some path :

example: c:\program files\ trend micro \

and related all keys etc. delete them and then only you can reinstall... :p

anandk

Distinguished Member
paragkalra said:
....also man I am not that familiar with windows...basically i use LINUX...and i m using this " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ....bla...bla" stuff for the first time.....so can u please tell how to exactly use it....(where to go and how to start)....c_cleaner has also not helped me....also can anyone please how to use ccleaner to suffice my needs....

first create a systemrestore point, shud anything go wrong ...

click start>run>regedit>ok. regedit will open.
click edit tab>find / find next
then search for trend , trend micro , pc-cllin and delete all such keys found by rt clicking on the PARTICULAR keys.

then agn run ccleaner (clean files/reg entries)and reboot. hope it helps. if it dznt or if u dont get a satisfctry reply here, best to approach the trend support forum *esupport.trendmicro.com/support/consumer/consumerhome.do .

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Thanx a lot guys (anandk,kiran_tech_mania.......and all my friends) for your over extensive support......I am still trying....Hopefully will find some solution and will let u all know about it.......lets see........

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
You are welcome. But you still didn't answer my question. Which version of PC Cillin antivirus did you try to install? Then I could help you further....

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
@kiran_tech_mania

Trend Micro Cillin is saying that already Trend Micro Cillin is already installed (mcfee has no role to play here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom