Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
I use k7 antivirus now in trial mode and buy after trial expire.this nice i like it its detection is very good.

Anish

Spectre
AntiVirus Name: K7 Total security
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]: Rs. 600 (3 user | 1year)
Protection Type: Total security (AV+Spyware+Firewall)

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4.5
Detection Rate:4.5
Price:5
Overall:4.7

Recommend to Use: Obvious from the ratings YES
Comments: uses low system memory, doesn't slow down logon time(some av slows down the logon time like kaspersky[it occured for me])

Does any one use MS Security essentials? If so please rate it

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@avichandana20000, usually antivirus license have an data of subscription & when it ends. so, you may format the machine but can't alter the date of expiry. but as your A/V ships with a serial, i am not sure. also the license agreement says 1 license 1 pc. so you use or your friend but can't (shouldn't) be used in both machine at same time.

if you upgrade your machine, you may reinstall OS as there maybe some compatibility problem. & so new installation of A/V

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best Free AntiVirus: Avira AntiVir Free
2nd Best Free AntiVirus: Avast Free

Best paid AntiVirus: Avira AntiVir and Eset NOD32.

Best lightweight and hassle-free Internet Security: Eset Smart Security

Best Free Firewall: Comodo Firewall

Kaspersky Internet Security is very good but very heavy on resources too. Then you also have McAfee, Norton etc.

----

What I use?

Two machines have Avira AntiVir. One machine has Avast.

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
I am using the freeware version of QuickHeal from one of Digit's DVD's. Although, I have not faced any issues, I am not able to update the virus database as its freeware. I feel its only a matter of time before some fresh virus sneaks past QH and infects my system.

So, which antivirus would you suggest which is
. free
. lightweight (m into a lot of gaming)
. high detection rates (able to scan USB drives and card readers)

I am confused between Avast, Avira & AVG. Plz advise.

This gonna work out for you....

AntiVirus Name: Avira Free Antivirus
Free or Paid: Free
Protection Type: AV, Spyware, and everything except Firewall

Ratings
User Friendly: 4/5
Detection Rate: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Recommend to Use: Yes
Comments: I used KIS for 2 years and Norton (Paid) for a year. To be frank, i am quite satisfied with this and using it in both my home PC and office PC. Till today facing no issues. The best free AV i've ever come across. I suggest this to anyone who wants a good, not-so-annoying AV.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice.

I use the Windows Firewall. Have not faced any trouble so far.
You think I need a separate firewall?
Personally speaking, I don't feel the need of any separate firewall. Too much of hassle configuring them. I only use an AntiVirus. :) and Windows Firewall in Windows 7 is enough for me. :)

desai_amogh

In the zone
AntiVirus Name: Avira Free Antivirus
Free or Paid: Free
Protection Type: AV, Spyware, and everything except Firewall

Ratings
User Friendly: 4/5
Detection Rate: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Recommend to Use: Yes
Comments: I used KIS for 2 years and Norton (Paid) for a year. To be frank, i am quite satisfied with this and using it in both my home PC and office PC. Till today facing no issues. The best free AV i've ever come across. I suggest this to anyone who wants a good, not-so-annoying AV.

me too a 4.5 for Avira.. Have used it over 6 months and recommend it to every one who wants free AV..
I used Avast too was good but ate too much memory on my old system.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Avira, running solid for a few months and no re-install XP till today. Will suggest that to Eugene if he feels KAV is heavy in resources.

desai_amogh

In the zone
I feel Free AVs like avira, Avast are just as good as their paid counterparts.. and if you use apps like malwarebytes, and a good firewall.. you don't need to pay for anything..
And if you still get in trouble apps like Combofix (from Bleeping computer) which takes care of most of the common infections ...

gameranand

Living to Play
desai_amogh said:
I feel Free AVs like avira, Avast are just as good as their paid counterparts.. and if you use apps like malwarebytes, and a good firewall.. you don't need to pay for anything..
And if you still get in trouble apps like Combofix (from Bleeping computer) which takes care of most of the common infections ...
They are not just good. I would say that they are better than many paid ones.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Used quite a few over the past couple of years. Here's a summary of them:-

AntiVirus Name | Avast Free or Paid |Free
Price in INR |NA
Protection Type |Realtime
User Friendly |5
Detection Rate |4.5
Price |5
Overall |5
Recommend to Use | Yes

Comments|For me the best free AV. Very light on resources too. Advanced users can tweak some settings to achieve greater level of protection. I am yet to get any problems for this. In our office environment that's an achievement in itself.

AntiVirus Name | Microsoft Security Essentials Free or Paid |Free
Price in INR |NA
Protection Type |Realtime
User Friendly |4
Detection Rate |4.5
Price |5
Overall |4.5
Recommend to Use | Yes

Comments|Pretty good. Although there's not much to tweak here. Solid, no-fuss AV. One downside: it has crashed at least 2 systems in our office. Can be hard on system resources sometimes.

AntiVirus Name | Panda Internet Security 2010 | Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro Free or Paid |Paid but got free for one year during Windows 7 launch in 2009.|Paid but won a free licence for one year.
Price in INR |NA|NA
Protection Type |Realtime|Realtime
User Friendly |3.5|4
Detection Rate |4|4
Price |NA|NA
Overall |3.5|4
Recommend to Use | No|No (Yes for free version)

Comments|What I say. I got the IS free but couldn't utilize it for than one and half month. It was too protective and even kept on stopping Winamp from performing :shock:, among all things! Firewall was not good like most other AV security suites. Was quite powerful though with lots of settings to tweak. But Panda gave an overall bad impression to me.

Regarding Cloud AV, I currently have this installed in my home PC along with Mamutu and Comodo Internet Security. It has corrupted all my Windows Gadgets (Again, among all things!!! See screenshot). Couple of useful features are Autorun disable and USB drive vaccination. I won't recommend to pay for it, but the free version is OK to use. It provides good protection and novice users don't need to tweak anything, just install and use.

NOTE: The latest Panda 2011 is getting good scores all around but I don't have the guts to test it. Someone may try.

Will post some more tomorrow.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Skud said:
One downside: it has
crashed at least 2 systems in our office
Most of Microsoft stuff crash especially when a pc crashes. So its normal.
Skud said:
Regarding Cloud AV, I currently have
this installed in my home PC along with
Mamutu and Comodo Internet
Security
Even I think they are not properly optimised not fully usefull for us.
Skud said:
NOTE: The latest Panda 2011 is getting good scores all around but I don't
have the guts to test it. Someone may
try.
I suggest you to avoid it till they improve current shortfalls.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of Microsoft stuff crash especially when a pc crashes. So its normal. Even I think they are not properly optimised not fully usefull for us. I suggest you to avoid it till they improve current shortfalls.

Ah, I think you get me wrong. Actually it was the MSE which was making the system crash. disabled it from auto starting, then uninstalled => problem solved.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
AntiVirus Name: Norton Internet Security 2011
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]:Rs 950 for 1year(1PC)
Protection Type: * Antivirus
* Antispyware
* Antirootkit
* Smart Firewall
* Network Mapping & Monitoring
* Parental Controls
* Norton Safe Web
* Anti-Spam
* Identity Protection

Ratings out of 5
: 5/5
User Friendly: 4.5/5
Detection Rate:5/5
Price:3/5
Overall:4.5

Recommend to Use
: Yes
Comments:Best Internet security i ever used.

gameranand

Living to Play
Tenida said:
Its very light to the system.It eats only 74mb ram while full scanning.
Well it will be light when it start to use about 4MB when in idle state. :)
Until then its resource hungry for me.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I forgot to mention one point: Panda Cloud AV is very light on resources. Just 30-40 mb while scanning and some 10-20 mb at idle!!! I have even seen its 2 processes consuming less than 10 mb at times. So on older systems it might just be the perfect companion.

Top Bottom