Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

d3p

PowerHouse
Hi Guys,

As the old Antivirus thread was quite old, the thread has been closed. So it's the time for a new one, but not a poll type.

Here user of the following anitvirus can post there comments as well as rate them out of 5 with their usage experience. I hope it will help some noob to a Pro to select a antivirus depending on his needs.

AntiVirus Name:
Free or Paid:
Price in INR [If Paid]:
Protection Type:

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly:
Detection Rate:
Price:
Overall:

Recommend to Use: Yes or No [If No then mention the appropriate reason].
Comments: if any

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here goes mine.

AntiVirus Name: McAfee Total Protection 2011 3 Users 1 Year.
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]: Rs. 1950.00
Protection Type: Includes antivirus for both X86 & X64 OS, Siteadvisor, Online Backup of 2GB per User, Mail Cleaner, Network Watch & of course Firewall too.

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate:4
Price:3
Overall:4

Recommend to Use: Yes, but user must be ready to Pay.

Comments: Simple & fast with no effect on system performance as well as powerful with real time scan.

Last edited:

rex

Right off the assembly line
AntiVirus Name: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Price in INR [If Paid]:1PC – Rs. 890 (1 Year), 3Pc – Rs. 1790 (1 Year)
Protection Type: Real-time proactive protection against all Internet threats, New Safe Surf feature, effective Parental Control, System Watcher technology, Safe Run mode for apps & websites, Firewall, supports x64 and x32 OS.

Ratings out of 5.
Detection Rate:5
Price:4
Overall:4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
Comments: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 has everything that you need to stay safe and secure while you're surfing the web. It provides constant protection for you and your family – whether you work, bank, shop or play online.

You can also go for a 30 days trial pack :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AntiVirus Name: Emsisoft Antimalware
Free or Paid: Freeware mode i.e. just scan & remove. no protection.
Price in INR [If Paid]:
Protection Type: A2 antispyware engine + Ikarus antivirus engine (only in paid version). no firewall.

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly:
Detection Rate: 5
Price: 5
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes. as a support to standard AV. & better than MBAM.
Comments: no.1. in detection & false positive. & yes, it'll eat all your cracks, patches, etc for breakfast. it'll show threats in places where you can never expect. some of them are false positives.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Please tell that, After Installation, what is the Size of KIS 2011 in the "Add & Remove Programs"?

It's not showing the size in my PC.

AntiVirus Name: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Price in INR [If Paid]:3PC - 900/- 1 Year
Protection Type: Well almost everything that a Internet Security Suite should have.

Ratings out of 5.
Price:5

Recommend to Use: Yes. I'm using KIS from 2 years, and no virus, and no format after I installed KIS. Though as a user I also maintain my own security rather than just leaving everything for KIS

Comments: I found KIS the best after using many antivirus.

Dewey

AntiVirus Name: avast! free antivirus
Free or Paid: free!!!! hurray
Price in INR [If Paid]: Rs. 000/-
Protection Type: provides everything what can be expected of a Internet antivirus suite, with firewall and Sandbox!!!
also supports Real-time protection against all Internet threats(Web Reputation), easy Parental Control, siteblocking, BOOT time Scan, Firewall, supports x64 and x32 OS.
Ratings out of 5. 4.5
Detection Rate: 4 Works fine for me
Price: Rs. 000/-
Overall: Bingo Must free Use for all!!!

Recommend to Use: Yes
Comments: i m using for quite some time and it is delivering what ought to be a driving force behind the idea of an Antivirus

Rajesh345

Youngling
AntiVirus Name:Commodo Internet security
Free or Paid:Free
Price in INR [If Paid]:Nil
Protection Type:AV +Firewall+Def+Sandbox

Ratings out of 5. 5
Price:Nil
Overall:4 .5

Recommend to Use: Yes or No [If No then mention the appropriate reason]. Yes
Comments: if any - Best freee AV, Firewall for free user, Low memory usage[9MB idle](16+9MB ram when scanning ), good detection ,

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ It may also be worth mentioning that Comodo Internet Security is the ONLY one (AFAIK) as on date which is free for commercial use also... Others like Avast, AVG and Avira have free versions which are free for home use only...

Arun

keur

Have any body tested avira yet>>>>>>coz its osme >>>:?:

hi....d3p5kor.....macfee as i concern is an average performer...IN concern of AV compartive it has not defeat kaspersky in virus detection and false positive test......i think ...macfee...its not worth to go for ....

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
@Keur: Please specify the Product names or even the link from where you got the info will be very helpful.

One more thing, select a antivirus is not like a Comparing Graphics Card where one has to win & other to loose.
IMO it doesn't make sense if you use a 9/10 anti virus & don't update regularly.

Regarding Mcafee Total Protection : I never had a single issue with it till date, thats the only reason i have given rating based on my experience.

McAfee is having lot of products like Internet Security, Virus Scanner etc etc.
If someone came across those products, feel free to post it here & make sure you write the proper product name.

General Tips to get the max out your Anti Virus.

What makes a Antivirus better ??
-> Daily Updates.

What makes the user data safe ??
->Dedicated scannings of the HDD, Thumb drives [Very much prone to get virus] & external HDD.

Other things to consider is defragmentation & disk cleanup. Next is registry cleanup.

Most of the times user faces a virus detection of cracks from Anti-Virus. It doesn't mean its the fault of your Antivirus.
IMO its upto you, whether you want to take risk or let it go.

Note: Talking about cracks,hacks or Piracy Stuffs in TDF is not allowed, so let it be kept low.

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
AntiVirus Name: Avast Free Antivirus
Free or Paid: Free
Protection Type: Script Shield, Site Blocking, SafeZone, Antispam Measures, Firewall, Behavioral Shield, Intelligent Scanner and AutoSandbox and WebRep add-ons.

Ratings
User Friendly: 5/5
Detection Rate: 3/5
Overall: 4/5

Comments: The Best Free Alternative to other Anti-Viruses in the market if you don't want to shell out a thousand bucks. It is Simple, Fast and User-Friendly. Increases a little start-up time on my PC with old hardware but will work like a charm on a decent build computer.

Vignesh B

Youngling
AntiVirus Name: Avast, Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall
Free or Paid:Free
Protection Type:Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimalware, firewall, Site advisor, Mail cleaner, network shield

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4.5
Detection Rate:4.5

Recommend to Use: Definitely yes.
Comments: For the people who want to use the free solutions, this kind of setup including an antivirus, antimalware and a firewall is necessary. As far as paid suites are concerned, they provide all these in a single software.

Rajesh345

Youngling
AntiVirus Name: Avast Free Antivirus
Protection Type: Script Shield, Site Blocking, SafeZone, Antispam Measures, Firewall, Behavioral Shield, Intelligent Scanner and AutoSandbox and WebRep add-ons.

Ratings
User Friendly: 5/5
Detection Rate: 3/5

Comments: The Best Free Alternative to other Anti-Viruses in the market if you don't want to shell out a thousand bucks. It is Simple, Fast and User-Friendly. Increases a little start-up time on my PC with old hardware but will work like a charm on a decent build computer.

Just for ur info

Free edition doesnt come with firewall

Web Shield and Network shield is not a replacement for firewall[

What does "Network Shield" resident scanner do?

chk post from

DavidR
avast! Übertechnical

First avast's network shield is 'not' a firewall, only monitoring commonly exploited ports. If you firewall is worth its salt (I should hope it is much better than the network shield), the network shield shouldn't even get a look in as that should intercept these exploits and I haven't experienced any compatibility issues in a little over four and a half years I have been using avast.

My firewall Agnitum's Outpost Pro went through a spell of complaining about the network shield, but that was confirmed as a problem with OP and not avast's network shield, which has been corrected by Agnitum.

Should you temporarily disable your firewall and forget to enable it (or it is disabled by malware) then it would give limited protection on those ports that are monitored. If the network shield popped-up an alert it would act as an indicator that all might not be well with your firewall. So I would leave the belt and braces approach in place as it doesn't consume much in the way of resources.

so i suggest u to use a Firewall also

extra link

*forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65129.0

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
AntiVirus Name: Avira Free Antivirus
Protection Type: AV, Spyware, and everything except Firewall

Ratings
User Friendly: 4/5
Detection Rate: 4/5

Comments: I used KIS for 2 years and Norton (Paid) for a year. To be frank, i am quite satisfied with this and using it in both my home PC and office PC. Till today facing no issues. The best free AV i've ever come across. I suggest this to anyone who wants a good, not-so-annoying AV.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
AntiVirus Name: Quickheal Antivirus Pro
Price in INR [If Paid]: MRP= Rs.999 but I bought it for Rs. 600 (1 user)
Protection Type:Firewall + Antivirus

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly:4
Detection Rate:4.5
Price: 4
Overall: 4.25

Comments: if any : Its a good antivirus. Reccomended. Very light than the previous versions.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Quickheal is waste of money and it'll do nothing.

Read this : Quickheal anti virus review and everywhere in net, you can see someone whining about this rubbish AntiVirus.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Actullay, I find it good.

Yeah , many find it bad. ITs antimalware is very bad.

Overall, I find it a nice suite

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Not exactly. Here in B'lore you may hear ads in radio every single day and anyone who purchased and used it, never said "Its good or even OK". I myself tried the Trial and ended up in re-installing the OS.

@thetechfreak

I advise you to switch to any other free AV too, instead of this crappy one. Just my 2 cents

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
i have KIS 2011 BUILD 11.2.0.400. SINGLE USER 1YEAR.
now i have qns.
lets take a scenario

I have installed a single user KIS in my machine on day 1 of the month.(one use of LICENSE KEY done.)
on 2nd day i format the system and then again reinstall all the softwares and KIS also. so i need to proivide the license key again. (2nd use done)[.because i have not just simply uninstalled theproduct but wiped out everything from my HDD.]
After two months again i format the HDD and reinstall all the staffs along with KIS. so this is the 3rd use.

in this way i format the system several times and installed the product from the purchased cd again & again.

my qns is
when i uninstall just the KIS with OS remaining intact i am checking the box "save activation data" option. So next time the activation is happening automatically.

But when i format the HDD as a whole there is no scope of checking that option at all.
In that case KIS needs to be activated by typing the ACTIVATION KEY i have purchased.
1)how many times THAT can be done from my purchased CD , i.e. installing where the scope of checking the option "save activation data" does not arise at all?

2)what if i have purchased or upgrade into a whole new machine, will then the server allow installation with the same activation key?

So finally it comes down like this :

CASE A ) uninstall KIS checking the option "save activation data" . next activation will happen automatically .
CASE B ) format HDD, no scope of checking the option "save activation data", next installation from same cd and activation will happen after typing the ACTIVATION KEY with so and so days left.(how many times?)
CASE C ) upgraded or purchased new system , Installation will take place from the same CD purchased with ACTIVATION key typed in with so and so daysleft.(true or false)

pls do not mind for such a long qn thread. but i need to know. and requesting to answer point by point.

Top Bottom