Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

andy_65_in

Padawan
will updating firmware in the router make any diffrenece..also are there anti coinhive extensions i can add to the brave browser...i wish toi switch to it from mozilla

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Got an email from MTNL, what to do now?
Dear Sir/Madam,
Greetings from MTNL, Mumbai.
As per the analysis received from Computer Emergency Response Team - India (CERT-In), under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, it is suggested to check for any malware/botnet infection on single/multiple communicating device/s connected on MTNL, Mumbai broadband network with the broadband number ****123*** since possible suspicious communication was observed due to malware/botnet infection.
Malware (CNC) is unsolicited software that is installed in the users' system without users' knowledge and consent while the user is surfing/browsing on the Internet. The attacker or cyber-criminal can remotely send commands to such systems that are compromised by the malware. The malware is capable of compromising IoT systems, create a botnet of compromised devices, use compromise devices to launch DDoS attacks & make a compromised network connection to receive commands for further attacks.
When the malware runs, it turns the infected system into a bot connecting to a C&C server on specific ports and listens for commands from remote attackers. As a result, huge/abnormal outbound traffic is observed as it scans for vulnerable devices and becomes part of DDoS attacks. In view of the high damage potential of botnet infected machines, you are requested to take appropriate countermeasures suggested below to prevent such unsolicited incidents.

Countermeasures for securing the communicating devices:
  • Restrict web management interface access of IoT devices to authorized users only and change default username/passwords. Always change default login credentials and ensure that passwords meet the minimum complexity. If a device comes with an open Wi-Fi connection, change the password and only allow it to operate on a home network with a secured Wi-Fi router. Moreover, control access to the devices with Access List.
  • Identify systems such as routers, switches, web applications & administrative web interfaces, ICS systems, Telnet, SSH interfaces with default passwords and implement the above-mentioned measures.
  • Disable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on IoT devices unless absolutely required. Implement account lockout policies to reduce the risk of brute-forcing attacks.
  • Telnet and SSH should be disabled on the device if there is no requirement of remote management. Configure VPN and SSH to access device if remote access is required.
  • Implement Egress and Ingress filtering at the router level. Unnecessary port and services should be stopped and closed. Logging must be enabled on the device to log all the activities.
  • Keep antivirus on the computer system up to date. Also, keep up-to-date on patches and fixes on the IoT devices, operating system, and applications.
For more information on malware/botnets and the countermeasures kindly visit Cyber Swachhta Kendra: Home. To download Free Botnet Removal Tool, please click here.
For protection against the latest threats and vulnerabilities, users may regularly visit the website, Indian - Computer Emergency Response Team and check for the advisories published under the ADVISORIES section.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
MTNL, Mumbai

I want to know more about this mail.

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.

Best way to detect BotNet:-
1)Open Task Manager and click on the network button.
1598268201436.png

Make sure the small arrow is pointing down like in the picture.
2) Wait for About 10 minutes and keep your PC idle. Log the program which is using highest bandwidth.
Send the name and snapshot of that program.

Alt. You can use that tool provided by quick heal.

But the best option is to reinstall your windows.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
There is no suspicious activity in computer..
I tried almost every free antivirus and anti malware softwares. Can I request them to send more information regarding this email?
I already installed windows 10 on new hdd few weeks back.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I tried almost every free antivirus and anti malware softwares. Can I request them to send more information regarding this email?
I already installed windows 10 on new hdd few weeks back.

Try Malwarebytes.
If possible buy Kaspersky or avast for 6 months or 3 months and scan.
This should work otherwise, the mail was a false positive.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.avira.com/en/downloads

which one to choose.?
free security or antivirus.
for checking botnets
Avira free version & avast free version both are very good but if you can afford to pay 300-400 rupees then get kaspersky/bitdefender paid version from flipkart/amazon but do try their trial version first because it is not definite that an av will run fine on your pc if it is running fine on others' pc as there are huge number of hardware/software/windows settings combinations.

Never use free antivirus.
See above, always use av-comparatives test reports to see which av is performing well, free or paid.

Best way to detect BotNet:-
1)Open Task Manager and click on the network button.
You won't necessarily detect a botnet just by seeing network usage.Also quickheal is not a good AV, in fact it just uses licensed av engine of bitdefender as per last updated info available online so why pay to buy a rebranded inferior product when you can buy the original better performing version for same/less price.

He can just use wireshark instead.
Not for beginners.:)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Never use free antivirus.
Better get Kaspersky Or Avast. Cant say anything about Avira, as never used it.
Dont go for K7 or any other shady AV.
What is meant by the word "shady".
Kind to elaborate/explain us please?

I had used Avira,though not as same as on the leagues of Kaspersky or Bitdefender,yet it is a good Anti-virus. A bit better than Windows defender.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
quickheal is the biggest piece of shit there is, i cant believe company is still surviving..
Very true,Friend. Used their PAID software some few years back. Lots of FALSE NEGATIVES in scanning. After the 1yr usage period expired,their company was coaxing to apply for increase in period and a fresh subscription.

I had used PAID license softwares of Kaspersky,e-set,Bitdefender,Avast,K7,BullGuard as per yeas rolling by.
Bitdefender being the most resource hog,I had to abandon few months before subscription was coming to an end.
Kaspersky much better,than Bitdefender as per my observations.
CC(customer Care) of e-set was the best of all.
Avast! Internet Security was very Good,put sometimes frequent annoying pop-ups(in learner mode)of Firewall aspects was very irritating.
Currently using K7(Total Security) and BullGuard(Premium Protection) on my 2 sets of Desktop-PC's each.NO ISSUES NO PROBLEMS TILL DATE...

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
What is meant by the word "shady".
Kind to elaborate/explain us please?

I had used Avira,though not as same as on the leagues of Kaspersky or Bitdefender,yet it is a good Anti-virus. A bit better than Windows defender.

Shady:- Of doubtful honesty or genuity. These types of antivirus includes 360 antivirus, some other type of fake antiviruses etc.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I want to know more about this mail.
I know about wireshark.. I will try to use it..
I know about avs..
My question was.
I already installed fresh windows 10 on hdd few weeks back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom