Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
avire free is the best free AV currently in my opinion.30 total Security & Avast are also good.considering all this i can not recommend mcafee to anyone even if one gets it for free.

A

amit.tiger12

I am switching back to Avast free security.
Avira free edition is good, but has old school UI...
Anyone can share experience for Net-Protector??? everyone is using it (most of my friends use it as suggested by computer repairer) but no one suggest this one.. I don't understand why? Is this np-av really good software, so no one wants to tell anybody and keeping it secret for best security?
Net Protector 2015 - Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Internet Security, Virus Clean, India, Pune

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Anyone can share experience for Net-Protector??? everyone is using it (most of my friends use it as suggested by computer repairer) but no one suggest this one.. I don't understand why? Is this np-av really good software, so no one wants to tell anybody and keeping it secret for best security?
Net Protector 2015 - Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Internet Security, Virus Clean, India, Pune

Useless overpriced "antivirus" which never submits its scan reports to various AV comparison sites. Why buy it when avast and avira are already doing better? ;)
Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Eset are also priced lower than NPAV and quickheal.

Shopkeeper has to do business, he'll NEVER suggest free alternatives to crap overpriced software.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indian market thumb rule : if it is recommended by shopkeeper/dealer it most likely is not recommended by experts.

UI doesn't matter to me,in fact if an AV is doing its job perfectly then you will hardly see its UI.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Anyone can share experience for Net-Protector??? everyone is using it (most of my friends use it as suggested by computer repairer) but no one suggest this one.. I don't understand why?

was using my uncle's laptop and came across the 2014 version of this software (most likely installed by some service guy). i deactivated it (as i was paranoid about being a fake A/V) and installed avira. guess what? avira detected at least 3 of its exe files (scanner, help and updater) as malware and immediately quarantined them. uninstalled whatever was left of this crapware immediately and informed my uncle.

i am still not sure if it was a false positive but avira caught 3 files. thats a big number for false positive.

Is this np-av really good software, so no one wants to tell anybody and keeping it secret for best security?

its a tech forum. nobody is going to keep a piece of software secret to get the most out of it. doesn't work that way. and the recommendation above are from people who have used security suites for years. we hardly care about what most so called computer expert (aka repair guys) say.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Indian market thumb rule : if it is recommended by shopkeeper/dealer it most likely is not recommended by experts.

UI doesn't matter to me,in fact if an AV is doing its job perfectly then you will hardly see its UI.

This is the real thing. Very well said.

A

amit.tiger12

was using my uncle's laptop and came across the 2014 version of this software (most likely installed by some service guy). i deactivated it (as i was paranoid about being a fake A/V) and installed avira. guess what? avira detected at least 3 of its exe files (scanner, help and updater) as malware and immediately quarantined them. uninstalled whatever was left of this crapware immediately and informed my uncle.

i am still not sure if it was a false positive but avira caught 3 files. thats a big number for false positive.

ohh.. so no going back to avast.. Avira is good... ;)

its a tech forum. nobody is going to keep a piece of software secret to get the most out of it. doesn't work that way. and the recommendation above are from people who have used security suites for years. we hardly care about what most so called computer expert (aka repair guys) say.

ok.. I used Kaspersky internet security and believe as a noob it always protected me from each virus from net, pen drive etc...
But now even Kaspersky internet security trial products does not detect anything.. may be I became expert in computer security.. like eliminating virus by myself.. ;)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
avire free is the best free AV currently in my opinion.30 total Security & Avast are also good.considering all this i can not recommend mcafee to anyone even if one gets it for free.

Friend,do you recommend to uninstall the McAfee from the DELL laptop and install say 360Total Security Suite(which I had downloaded yesterday and saved it in the Downloads folder but not installed)?
Actually what are the issues or problems with McAfee Internet Suite???
Could you please clarify?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/avc_prot_2014b_en.pdf
*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/avc_per_201410_en.pdf

Both Avira free & 360 Total security are better & faster than mcafee not to mention free so why use it at all.

A

amit.tiger12

*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/avc_prot_2014b_en.pdf
*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/avc_per_201410_en.pdf

Both Avira free & 360 Total security are better & faster than mcafee not to mention free so why use it at all.

hey thanks...
360 total security is awesome...
its great... removed 3 malwares/cracks... and now installing system patches/updates..
its using Avira antivirus engine and bitdefender engine..:)
thanks for suggesting 360 total security essentials...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] & [MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION] recommended 360TS here.i knew about it & its predecessor 360IS for a long time now,it is just that bitdefender engine use quite a bit of hdd space & was already using avira so never tried it but i know it is good.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
can you please explain what you were talking about?? i am not well versed in these, so pardon the n00b ques :(

i am generally careful with what i run on my PC, so the most important for me is an Internet Security suite, and then Antivirus suite, but both are must and should run actively.

i am using Avast Internet Security now, and have used KIS before this. both are very lightweight and are excellent in detecting threats across the web as well as programs/files on the PC/flash drives.

are there any free alternatives to these? the alternatives must have regular database updates. i am not worried about UI.

i hope i am able to put across my query clearly.

Minion

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] & [MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION] recommended 360TS here.i knew about it & its predecessor 360IS for a long time now,it is just that bitdefender engine use quite a bit of hdd space & was already using avira so never tried it but i know it is good.

360TS is even more lighter than 360IS that is why i suggested 360TS.

Top Bottom