Anonymous hacker 'cost PayPal £3.5 million by crippling site'

Flash

Lost in speed
A student committed a series of cyber attacks as part of hacking group Anonymous that cost the website PayPal £3.5 million, a court heard today.

*img16.imageshack.us/img16/6861/a2e208f9c2e547668ebc539.png

Christopher Weatherhead (went by the name, NERDO) , 22, was studying at Northampton University when he is alleged to have taken part in the cyber campaign which also attacked other sites including MasterCard, Visa, Ministry of Sound, the British Recorded Music Industry (BPI) and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). He said it was attacked after it decided not to process payments on behalf of the Wau Holland Foundation, an organisation involved in raising funds for WikiLeaks.

An online conversation between Weatherhead, who went by the online name of Nerdo, and someone called Neo said: "I think we should do something really bad, give spoofed IPs of PayPal etc, and get ISPs, it would be awesome, you know it's true."

At least 104 employees from eBay, the parent company of PayPal, were employed to work on issues directly related to the attack for three weeks afterwards, the court heard.
PayPal also had to pay for further software and hardware to defend against similar future attacks.

Victims of attacks would find their website would suddenly crash and be directed to a page displaying the message:
"You've tried to bite the Anonymous hand. "You angered the hive and now you are being stung."

More on : Anonymous hacker 'cost PayPal £3.5 million by crippling site' - Telegraph

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Israel its understandable because of the attacks and stuff, but why paypal?

Looks like Anonymous is not as organized as I thought.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
They fight for good reasons too, but this is bad, so as their last attack on GoDaddy.

These are my questions:
1.Whatif a Government do things like this (via a inside-hacker), and put the blame on Anonymous, so as to create a bad effect and to lower their reputation among the netizens?
2.Whatif a Hacker-wannabe hacks some secured systems of a corp/govt, as a trial-and-error/with intention under the name of Anonymous?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
They fight for good reasons too, but this is bad, so as their last attack on GoDaddy.

These are my questions:
1.Whatif a Government do things like this (via a inside-hacker), and put the blame on Anonymous, so as to create a bad effect and to lower their reputation among the netizens?
2.Whatif a Hacker-wannabe hacks some secured systems of a corp/govt, as a trial-and-error/with intention under the name of Anonymous?

Anonymous will retaliate if any such attempt is done. Remember what happened with Digit not too long ago?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Recently i saw a movie/documentary called 'we are the legion'.In that documentary it says that anonymous attacked paypal site because paypal refused to be the donating medium for wikileaks.dunno about this.

Hrishi

Btw , I though PayPal had top notch security and was nearly impossible to get compromised.One of the most secure websites on net.

Hrishi

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom