Android or Windows mobile?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Hey guys, my cousin is planning on mobile phone...

1. Budget?
~15K

2. Display type and size?
Any

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Bar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Any

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touch

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Flash preferred

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android or windows mobile, whichever is better.

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G, wifi opt.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
GPS

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Internet, multimedia

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Samsung Focus, Motorola Defy

12. Any other info that you want to share
Is windows a better option than android?

sujoyp

Grand Master
No one will suggest a windows mobile coz its just too early to say whether its good or not....I think in 2012 there will be lots on WM7.5 phones to select from.

Go for android

Sarath

iDota
I will dig up a link for you. Might take some time. I remember someone shifted from android to mango and I will try getting a feedback from the concerned person. The shift esp from SGS2 to a HTC 7(I guess, can't rem) sub 20k phone was surprising.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
1) Motorola Defy - Here is a very active TDF thread
2) Sony Ericsson Mini Pro - This has issues with the camera

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
I think you are talking about the new Mango version of WM7. If that's so, I really don't think you will find any of them within your budget of 15k :-(

Just go for an Android.
Grab Xperia Neo V, someone is stating its price to be 15.5k. At this price it's one hell of a phone. Else you can consider Xperia Mini Pro, if you want a QWERTY...

Sarath

iDota
Oh ya
Samsung focus. I am still astounded at the specs. I payed for the same thing, just diff OS and body, a whole 10k or more, more.

Have a look. People are pretty happy with it. Most discussions about OSes are quite inaccurate as I have learnt. It all comes down to personal preference.

BTW if you are interested in Xperia play @ 17k, I will send you a link. Its a GO I'm considering myself.

aroraanant

Explorer
Its very obvious that one should not go for anything other than android...And in 15k SE No V looks good,it was priced around 15-16k on adexmart.

BTW if you are interested in Xperia play @ 17k, I will send you a link. Its a GO I'm considering myself.

Are u kidding...Xperia play for 17K :!: :shock:
Its F****** awesome man...
Its a mind blowing deal,one should not miss it

Dont go for WP7 phone right now, I purchased Samsung Focus and nothing interesting except the userinterface. Go for Android to enjoy tons of apps/games/custom launchers etc.

For your budget Neo V or Defy or Galaxy SL.

Sarath

iDota
Its a GO in some other forum, I will PM you the link. I don't think I am allowed to post the link here.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Its a GO in some other forum, I will PM you the link. I don't think I am allowed to post the link here.
You are completely and freely allowed to post. Unlike other forums, we don't have any such impositions on this forum. :)

oval_man

Journeyman
May be useful, ........Read slowly:

" There was an era when Microsoft was regarded as the king of operating systems, whether it be computers or smartphones. Well, times have changed and so has the market. Microsoft faced severe competition from the other players in the market. First, Nokia took out the Symbian, then Apple launched the iOS and finally, the Google Android came and revolutionized the smartphone market.

Microsoft plans to bounce back with its new operating system, the Mango. But will it serve as a worthy adversary to the ever expanding Android market? That remains to be seen.

The Mango is a Windows 7.5 OS, an update to the previous Windows 7 platform, while the Ice Cream Sandwich is an update to the immensely popular Gingerbread and Honeycomb operating systems created by Google. The effectiveness of the Mango will actually depend on what Google is planning with the Ice Cream Sandwich. Lets take a look at the Ice Cream Sandwich first.

The Ice Cream Sandwich belongs to a lineage of operating systems such as the Froyo and the Gingerbread. Both, despite their popularity have been criticized for their drawbacks. The Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, Google maintains will be a more enhanced platform, picking up where they left off.

The operating system is equipped with the advantages of a much-improved API system for better graphics and USB support, a feature that has never been included in any operating system so far. But the best update with this system is undoubtedly that Google plans to link the consumer directly with it.

So, one no longer needs to wait for the device manufacturer to update the device. One can easily do it themselves. Also, Google has stated that all Android devices would be upgradeable to the Ice Cream operating system, spelling good news for the already existing customers. The Ice Cream sandwich is also a more secure platform than the previous ones. Google has left no stone unturned with the Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

On the other hand, the Mango OS has met standards by achieving everything that was expected of it. It is armed with 500 new and exciting features, along with an improved social media interface. The Mango is Microsoft's ticket to gaining lost ground in the OS market. One of the most important features is its user friendliness. Using the Mango OS, one can easily navigate from app to app, by simply holding the back key down.

The real battleground, although is the apps. While Google has an enriched platform equipped with all the Google goodies - Maps, docs and more, the Mango will have an added advantage with signature Microsoft apps such as Quickoffice.

My final take on this would be that although the Mango OS is undeniably going to be grand, Microsoft might not still have enough dough to weaken Android's hold over the market. "

source: Ice Cream Sandwich v/s Mango - Which serves as a better diet for your mobile phone system? - Know Your Mobile India

OK....OK....OK....Don't ask me!

I'm already confusedddddddddddddddddddddddddd!

sygeek

Technomancer
Actually Windows Phone is a pretty good OS. The interface is really very smooth and brilliant. Especially, with the mango update, it fixed all the past cons with itself.

Although, some users still say that the ecosystem is still not mature, but, it is not true at all, at least at this moment. Developers are starting to get interested in WP, mango update really lives up to the expectation and there's a dedicated user base to it.

One thing I can agree with is, the deficiency apps. It may be a con, it still is. But, being radical, how many apps do you want to play with at the first place?

For an average user, Windows Phone is really very good. Power users may still go for Android (even I do), but truth is, if you're not much into customizing and all that stuff, Windows Phone is for you.

One thing that it may lack is high-end hardware in comparison with Android, but actually, you really don't need it. Even the battery life is great.

Windows has given a minimum hardware requirement set to each of it's WP manufacturers, so the user experience doesn't degrade below average.

In my opinion, Windows Phone gives unrecognized competition to Android/iOS.

If your cousin is an average user, I will definitely recommend him Samsung Focus.

Seeing is believing, so you may want to try both of these phones at a retail store (check if focus has the latest mango update at the retail store, major difference between the two).

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I dont understand...when android started even symbian was the king and had much more application and features then android....soo did this thing did any impact on androids popularity...answer is no

Now WM7.5 is new and will slowly gain momentum...probably by next year all usefull applications and games will also be available :)

Top Bottom