Android News Channel

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Google Video Chat coming natively to Android 2.3.4 very soon... -- Google Video Chat May Be Coming To The Next Android Update

One of our favorite things about the Motorola Xoom and Honeycomb was the built-in video chat through your Google Talk account.

It let you call from tablet to tablet or even tablet to PC, just like FaceTime on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Now, it looks like that same feature will be coming to Android phones in the next update to version 2.3 Gingerbread.

Android Police found a tweet from a developer at Samsung that says he made a video call using Gingerbread 2.3.4. That likely means 2.3.4 is right around the corner, and could possibly be launched at Google I/O on May 10.

*static4.businessinsider.com/image/4db80dc34bd7c88d531a0000-469-184/android-video-chat-tweet.png

Finally, the age of front-facing android handsets is coming...

ujjwal321

Journeyman
Google Video Chat coming natively to Android 2.3.4 very soon... -- Google Video Chat May Be Coming To The Next Android Update

Finally, the age of front-facing android handsets is coming...

since it will be integrated into the OS I think it will be more useful than oovoo, qik and fringe..

This handset gonna smack hard Optimus one from top to bottom, HTC Wildfire S

HTC Wildfire S - Full phone specifications
320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches
- Gorilla Glass display
- HTC Sense UI
512 MB ROM, 512 MB RAM
Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP, EDR
5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread)
Secondary Camera Yes

600 MHz processor
Stereo FM radio with RDS

If its priced somewhere around 10k. Otherwise O1 is a king.

Its coming by next week as reported and within 15k. You know lower end phone prices gets reduced drastically and there will be options to apply discounts online too :D.

It would still be better than O1 even if its price a little higher because it includes front facing camera, 5 megapixel camera with flash, GB onboard, Gorilla Glass, Bluetooth 3.0 and HTC sense. same display/ram/processor as o1. (I might forget some other features)

So whats the added advantage in O1 to be a king ? Just price of mere 3-4k difference? Its not just 1-2 added features, there are many, and worth paying 3-4k extra.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Not everyone will stretch their budget from 10k to 15k,(like me, from 10k to whooping 20k). So it depends on user. Let's see what's gonna happen...

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Its coming by next week as reported and within 15k. You know lower end phone prices gets reduced drastically and there will be options to apply discounts online too :D.

It would still be better than O1 even if its price a little higher because it includes front facing camera, 5 megapixel camera with flash, GB onboard, Gorilla Glass, Bluetooth 3.0 and HTC sense. same display/ram/processor as o1. (I might forget some other features)

So whats the added advantage in O1 to be a king ? Just price of mere 3-4k difference? Its not just 1-2 added features, there are many, and worth paying 3-4k extra.

It would definitely be better than O1 which is not a perfect phone. If it also had Aluminum unibody design like the Desire S, it would rock... ;) At 14k-15k, its good value phone for its features...

*st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/mwc-11-htc/new/gsmarena_012.jpg

ujjwal321

Journeyman
15k for a 600mhz phone is overpriced in this age..
spec wise it is similar to O1 which is 2/3 rd of the price of wildfire...
i think galaxy ace which is geeting gb soon is a better choice than wildfire
you cannot ignore the fact that ace has a 800mhz processor vs 600 in wildfire with a 3.5 inch screen compared to a 3.2 inch in wildfre.. .. which are a big factors when comparing smartphones
agreed that sense ui is better than touchwiz but it does not make up for the specs difference.

123shree

Broken In
15k for a 600mhz phone is overpriced in this age..
spec wise it is similar to O1 which is 2/3 rd of the price of wildfire...
you cannot ignore the fact that ace has a 800mhz processor vs 600 in wildfire with a 3.5 inch screen compared to a 3.2 inch in wildfre.. .. which are a big factors when comparing smartphones
agreed that sense ui is better than touchwiz but it does not make up for the specs difference.

The 800MHz in Ace is locked and it has a MSM7227 processor, pushing it any further will fry it for sure!
WildfireS can surly be overclocked to 800MHz and it will surely beat Ace!!!

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
This handset gonna smack hard Optimus one from top to bottom, HTC Wildfire S

HTC Wildfire S - Full phone specifications
320 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches
- Gorilla Glass display
- HTC Sense UI
512 MB ROM, 512 MB RAM
Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP, EDR
5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread)
Secondary Camera Yes

600 MHz processor
Stereo FM radio with RDS

front cam, good build quality, Sense UI (hope its 3.0), GB, gorilla glass (this). all these along with HTC branding. 12k sounds good.

If its priced somewhere around 10k. Otherwise O1 is a king.

o1 still sells for 9k. so 12-13k should be the price. MRP 14-15k (same as Ace).

15k for a 600mhz phone is overpriced in this age

you buy a car looking at its engine?

ace will get GB & die with it. WildfireS should get the next update.

you cannot ignore the fact that ace has a 800mhz processor vs 600 in wildfire

good coding & tweaks makes Android run as good on a 600Mhz proccy as badly tweaked or no tweaked & heavily skinned Android on a 800Mhz SOC.

with a 3.5 inch screen compared to a 3.2 inch in wildfre

this really varies. if WildfireS can offer 2days battery backup, Ace will have some serious problems to deal with.

which are a big factors when comparing smartphones

drop Ace & WildfireS from 10feet & see what happens. also support & firmware fix are as important as the h/w itself. samsung comes last in this dept, you agree or not.

Ace's half ram should already be filled when you start it. WildfireS is ahead here. also WildfireS is evenly spec'd. not a hero in processor & a 0 in ram. hero in display, 0 in battery backup.

take WildfireS as the next evolution in Optimus One. just its launched by HTC & not LG.

ujjwal321

Journeyman
^^^^
wildfire s has only 1230mah battery.. so i don't think it is better in battery department..
even if the wildfire is overclocked it will further reduce the battery backup..
i think 3.2 inch screen is too small to enjoy the android OS..
i totally agree that htc phones are well built and samsung phone look cheap..
about next android version I don't think even htc can guarantee it... so you are just speculating.
I think bike would be a better comparison when comparing mid range cell phoness.
and if I am buying a bike I will definetely look at the cc of the engine.. I agree that some people would go for looks..... it's a personal choice

Tia02

Right off the assembly line
I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Ace since March last week. I love the phone except for the fact that it hangs whenever I try to use the internet for more than five min or auto-restarts at its own will. Because of its extensive hanging problem I need to buy a new phone, within the same range (plus or minus 2k). Can anyone please suggest a good phone? I want an android only. Thanks

123shree

Broken In
I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Ace since March last week. I love the phone except for the fact that it hangs whenever I try to use the internet for more than five min or auto-restarts at its own will. Because of its extensive hanging problem I need to buy a new phone, within the same range (plus or minus 2k). Can anyone please suggest a good phone? I want an android only. Thanks

Go for wildfire S when it's released!!!!!!:)

Tia02

Right off the assembly line
@123shree: Can't wait that long. Gotta purchase a phone by next week latest. Cant be without a phone for too long and I have to return my phone to samsung in a day or two max.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
wildfire s has only 1230mah battery.. so i don't think it is better in battery department..

3.2" screen + 1230 battery vs 3.5" screen + higher clocked proccy (they are surely using higher Vcore) + 1350mah battery.

even if the wildfire is overclocked it will further reduce the battery backup..

shouldn't. till you don't touch the core voltage. i am using my Optimus one @ 748Mhz day&night. battery life is same as it was on 600Mhz.

i think 3.2 inch screen is too small to enjoy the android OS..

what will you say about the 2.8" Android mobile then? it depends. someone who have used 3" screen will surely go for something big.

about next android version I don't think even htc can guarantee it... so you are just speculating.

yah. kind of...right.

I agree that some people would go for looks..... it's a personal choice

Ace is good but its far from perfect. WildfireS yet to release & so won't comment much. but i hope it starts the good work where Optimus One left. now only price will decide its success on the big scale.

Because of its extensive hanging problem I need to buy a new phone, within the same range (plus or minus 2k). Can anyone please suggest a good phone? I want an android only. Thanks

galaxy SL. it should cost you ~17k with some coupon.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

Galaxy SL doesnt have hang issues?

First of all, Galaxy Ace should not have hang issues. Take it to the service center to have it reflashed latest stock ROM. Or install a custom ROM (I hope there is one available on Samdroid or XDA).

EDIT: *forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961858

Also, Galaxy SL is an amazing phone. Its twice as expensive as my O1, but is bigger, lighter, faster, better...

Last edited:

ujjwal321

Journeyman
@TIA02
if you are facing hanging problem in ace.. just do factory reset.. that should solve your problemm.. or you can take it to service center.. since you said that you enjoyed the phone there is no reason you should consider spending money on other phones without even bothering to repair..
a tip for you::: go to xda forum and learn some basic rooting, flashing things... then you'll be in love with your android phone...

btw i haven't used galaxy SL.. but I have a galaxy S..... since both have same processor, big screen, if SL is only 75% of galaxy S then go for it if you really need another phone..

Top Bottom