AMD Reports Second Quarter Results. 1.2B$ loss. Hector Ruiz Steps down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Another quarter with losses for AMD. Shuts down handheld graphics and digital TV business.

Hector Ruiz steps down and will continue in board. Dirk Meyer will takeover responsibilities.

Though it's a bug amount, $876million loss is due to shutdown of handheld graphics and digital TV business that was part of ATI.

They are really having hardtime after acquiring ATI (as of now).

But I do think that AMD will be back into profit making by 2010. :)

Because for the same quarter last year, AMD lost $531 million on "continuing operations," such as its processor and graphics businesses and this time it's around $250 million. This means that they are actually making progress in their primary markets.

Sources: *news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9993595-1.html

*www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~127059,00.html

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Thats really bad news..
They surely can't make some good profit from the processor industry as of now. All hopes on ATi.

Look at the brighter side. AMD really IS catching up. There is strong potential in their newer Phenoms, and I can only wait for them to turn 45nm this year end. Their 780G chipset and the GF8200 chipset for AMD has enabled people to invest as little as Rs. 3.4K on a mobo+GPU with all mainstream high end features which intel gives only for 6K and start gaming.

AMD can become the next Tsunami in computing. The sea always receeds before crashing back with a mighty force.

apoorva84

In the zone
^^^agree with you...competition is always good...even intel has made mistakes before but it quickly rectified them...AMD might bounce back sooner than you expected...

nvidia

-----ATi-----
AMD can become the next Tsunami in computing. The sea always receeds before crashing back with a mighty force.
+1
Although the Phenom wont be the Intel killer, we just have to wait and watch.
I hope the 45nm processors from AMD will kick Intel's a$$.
IMO Fusion will change things for AMD..

Hrithan2020

In the zone
sad!!
Hope the newer 45 nm phenoms perform well in the mid-end.Also, that nehalem doesn't totally pwn amd in the server market or it'd be a huge blow for amd which so far has been doing quite well(in servers)

x3060

A LOTR fan
i want amd to be back rocking ..:(, their ati cards are really doing well...i assume the trend will follow in processors too...:).

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The ATI merge has crippled their R&D investments. They have to get back into profits to be the threat to Intel that they used to be.

Anyways, looks like they are concentrating on the platform as a whole unlike Intel and I think that the foundation is well laid for Fusion. They found the right mix of CPU, GPU and now they just have to put them on the core. If they succeed, we would be able to play Crysis with framerate never seen before on onboard chipset.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
If their ATI drivers for linux was well supported, I would have bought an ATI card for my system, which is an AMD. I think there is better support for linux by ATI. I want AMD to bounce back asap. All the best AMD! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom