AMD Piledriver Discussion Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's new set of benchmark with interesting results :
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-8320-6300-4300.html

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ 6300 looks pretty strong overall. Its very good in games as well as in multithreaded tasks.
It even beats the 8150 in gaming. Its a better buy than i3 3220 for sure.

sukesh1090

Adam young
Forget about SteamRoller, if AMD survives the next year then we can talk about it in 2014. ;)

wow bro i don't have any doubt in survival of AMD. they survived after BD release and PD is better than that so there is no reason to :wink:doubt about their survival.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not Haswell, AMD's financial positions. :(

Not Haswell, AMD's financial positions. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ 6300 looks pretty strong overall. Its very good in games as well as in multithreaded tasks.
It even beats the 8150 in gaming. Its a better buy than i3 3220 for sure.

FX 6300 is good indeed ( for the time being at-least ) but what is going to happen if Intel decides to reduce the price of it's quad core cpus around ~8-8.5k.

Q2 2013 and its going to be revolutionary.This is even much bigger threat to AMD than sandybridge ever was.

AMD better prepare themselves but as always Intel cpus will be priced higher (as well as the new mobos ) - so AMD may get a price advantage over this but if Intel is going to price their cpus/mobos right even with 10% performance advantage things will be very different.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
FX 6300 is good indeed ( for the time being at-least ) but what is going to happen if Intel decides to reduce the price of it's quad core cpus around ~8-8.5k.

Intel dropping prices is highly unlikely and has never happened since the core 2 duo days.

AMD better prepare themselves but as always Intel cpus will be priced higher (as well as the new mobos ) - so AMD may get a price advantage over this but if Intel is going to price their cpus/mobos right even with 10% performance advantage things will be very different.

Actually topgear this time mere pricing won't make a difference. That 10% performance improvement you see in most sites is half true. Its 10-15% in existing apps and ecosystem i.e win 7.
But there is a complete different ecosystem in the horizon read windows 8 and its not about scheduling advantage. Haswell has some significant improvements which even sandybridge did not have against nehalem. Not only the architecture but the instruction sets intel is supporting with haswell are a first time in x86/64 platform. These have never been used before.

I'm writing an article discussing all of these in detail and share them here very soon. We can discuss everything then. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Vicky, I guess you are referring to TSX or Transactional Synchronization Extensions X86 instruction which has been added in Hashwell architecture. Obviously it is a break through as Hashwell is going to be the 1st X86 Processor to incorporate it and there is no doubt, applications with TSX support will show a huge performance boost due to better multi-threading support. But the problem is whenever a new instruction set comes into the picture, software developers just can't adopt it as it requires huge amount of effort to port an existing application into the new framework with newer instruction set support. It needs several code paths for different processors, one with TSX support and one without it. For that reason you need couple of years for the new Instruction sets to become Mainstream.
But even though the approach Intel has shown is a positive path and there are a lot of Database and Server application with TSX support through software. With minor changes they can adopt the hardware support for the same and can show a huge performance boost, better than the 10-15% predicted.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the posts - Vicky and Cilus - did not read much Haswell but now I'm getting interested ;-)

anyway, check this out :
AMD debuts new Piledriver-based Opteron server chips | Hardware.Info United Kingdom

sukesh1090

Adam young
i don't know if any one saw this but thought it will be interesting,
here it is,
Projected Performance: Can AMD Catch up with Intel?

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Vicky, I guess you are referring to TSX or Transactional Synchronization Extensions X86 instruction which has been added in Hashwell architecture. Obviously it is a break through as Hashwell is going to be the 1st X86 Processor to incorporate it and there is no doubt, applications with TSX support will show a huge performance boost due to better multi-threading support. But the problem is whenever a new instruction set comes into the picture, software developers just can't adopt it as it requires huge amount of effort to port an existing application into the new framework with newer instruction set support. It needs several code paths for different processors, one with TSX support and one without it. For that reason you need couple of years for the new Instruction sets to become Mainstream.
But even though the approach Intel has shown is a positive path and there are a lot of Database and Server application with TSX support through software. With minor changes they can adopt the hardware support for the same and can show a huge performance boost, better than the 10-15% predicted.

i heard devs, crying about HSA too... i understand their pain

i don't know if any one saw this but thought it will be interesting,
here it is,
Projected Performance: Can AMD Catch up with Intel?

that was if the steamroller would release in 2013, and that was if amd would even consider releasing steamroller now. Too many ifs.

another problem with amd, is that apart from oc freaks people who have big $$$ and want extreme performance have always stuck with intel, and with the doubt of running the steamroller on AM3+ socket... its becoming a little clear on the acceptability part, that amd will only sell if the steamroller ends up supporting the am3+ socket and that means, amd is betting on releasing a ddr3 based solution in 2014, where intel will definitely release a pci 4 + ddr4 by 2015

Last edited:
Top Bottom