AMD PC for 30K - Office Productive

getvmurali

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Only for office productivity (75%) - Ms Office, word, excel, MPP & couple of modeling tools (Enterprise architect). Will run 1 Java web server with 1 SQL server (will be used for Web app deployment).
Entertainment (25%) - Will watch HD movie. Will play 5.1 music

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30K to 35K (the additional buffer would be for a good monitor)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Maybe

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7/Linux Dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Must be 22" with 1080p HD (want the best HD experience)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Not me, but my friend in couple of weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be done by Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai, India. Will buy locally

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
1. No Intel please.
2. Need to be up-gradable in future (maybe in 2 yrs time).
3. Need UPS (30 Mins back-up)

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD FX 8120 (8 Core)@ 9.4K
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 @ 5.5K
Corsair Value Series 8GB X 1 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 2.6K
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA HDD @ 3.2K
Cooler Master 311 Cabinet @ 1.9K
Corsair CX 430 V2 @ 2.8K
Asus 24X SATA DVD R/W @ 1K
Gigabyte HD 6670 2GB DDR3 @ 4.6K
Dell 21.5" 1080P IPS Panel LED 21.5" -ST2240L @ 8.65K (Deltapage.com)

Total: 39.65K. Price can be reduced by going for the following alternatives:-
FX-6100 (6 Core ) @ 7.5K
Power Color HD 5570 1GB DDR 3 @ 3.4K

OP
G

getvmurali

Broken In
Corsair CX 430 V2 @ 2.8K

FX-6100 (6 Core ) @ 7.5K
Power Color HD 5570 1GB DDR 3 @ 5.4K

Thanks Cilus for the reply. I have the following questions now:
1. Can I go with AMD A10-5800K for the expected level of HD performance?
2. Is there any difference in using 2 4GB ram instead of 1 8GB module?

hitesh

In the zone
Thanks Cilus for the reply. I have the following questions now:
1. Can I go with AMD A10-5800K for the expected level of HD performance?
2. Is there any difference in using 2 4GB ram instead of 1 8GB module?

1) Yes you can. It is more than enough for full hd experience
2) Yes. AFAIR The gain was around 10-15% (can be wrong though)

ASHISH65

Technomancer
@op better go with a10 cpu as it is better in single threated performance than fx 6100.Per core performance is important for your work.

hitesh

In the zone
Corsair CX 430 V2 @ 2.8K

FX-6100 (6 Core ) @ 7.5K
Power Color HD 5570 1GB DDR 3 @ 5.4K

Bulldozer is crap.
@OP Do not go for bulldozer at all cost. Stick with Trinity APU or Piledriver

umm 1tb

@OP Why does your friend want only amd ?

@op better go with a10 cpu as it is better in single threated performance than fx 6100.Per core performance is important for your work.

+1
Single threaded performance is better in the trinity apu. It sux in bulldozer

OP
G

getvmurali

Broken In
Bulldozer is crap.
@OP Do not go for bulldozer at all cost. Stick with Trinity APU or Piledriver

umm 1tb

@OP Why does your friend want only amd ?

+1
Single threaded performance is better in the trinity apu. It sux in bulldozer
Fine. A10 can be opted. Can you then give me the relevent MB and other stuff details.
My friend wanted an AMD since he is a fanboy of AMD. If we could get a better performer in the same cost (for the needs) I can suggest the same also.

hitesh

In the zone
Do you mean 2 module will have higher performance?

Yes. Theoretically the difference can be clearly seen. But you'll meet people with different opinions. Some would say that they can really feel the diff, some would say just the opposite.
I am with the former, but lets wait for more inputs.

for the kind of work your going to do i think you should go for intel

cpu-i5 3570k-14k (around)
motherboard-gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H-4k
ram-4gb corsair-1.4k
cabinet-same as cilus mentioned-2k
psu-cx430v2-2.5k
monitor-dell s2240l-8.6k
hdd-WD 1TB green-3.8
opd-asus-.9k

total-37.5k

for the work you mentioned i5 would outdo the fx or the a10 performance wise also it has integrated hd4000 which will suffice your needs i saw people demonstrating its gaming performance on youtube in 1080p .......but if your a fanboy like most of us then you can check out

cpu-fx8350-11.4k
motherboard-msi 970a g46-5k
ram-gskills 4gb-1.4k
monitor-dell s2240l-8.6k
psu-cx600-3.8k
hdd-500gb green WD-2.5k
opd-asus-.9k
gpu-sapphire 6670 ddr5-5.2

total-40.8k

regarding the gpu do see that your getting ddr5.....it matters a lot

also its advisable that you change the MSI motherboard to the one Cilus mentioned even though i am using it.....there are a lot of bad reviews on the net

OP
G

getvmurali

Broken In
for the kind of work your going to do i think you should go for intel

cpu-i5 3570k-14k (around)
motherboard-gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H-4k
ram-4gb corsair-1.4k
psu-cx430v2-2.5k
monitor-dell s2240l-8.6k
hdd-WD 1TB green-3.8
opd-asus-.9k

total-37.5k

for the work you mentioned i5 would outdo the fx or the a10 performance wise also it has integrated hd4000 which will suffice your needs i saw people demonstrating its gaming performance on youtube in 1080p .......but if your a fanboy like most of us then you can check out

cpu-fx8350-11.4k
motherboard-msi 970a g46-5k
ram-gskills 4gb-1.4k
monitor-dell s2240l-8.6k
psu-cx600-3.8k
hdd-500gb green WD-2.5k
opd-asus-.9k
gpu-sapphire 6670 ddr5-5.2

total-40.8k

regarding the gpu do see that your getting ddr5.....it matters a lot

also its advisable that you change the MSI motherboard to the one Cilus mentioned even though i am using it.....there are a lot of bad reviews on the net

The intel rig is fine by me. But I have a concern here for the AMD rig, cause
1. The mentioned Rig sounds more for of a Gaming rig.
2. Do we really need 8 core CPU for office productivity work?
3. Initially I thot we could manage with an AMD a10. The reason being with an integrated GPU we thot we will save some money and was planning to procure the system for 30K to 35K.
4. Finally can't an AMD A10 support HD movies @ 1080p

Please help !

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, the thing is how much we can manage within our budget. Now, I think you have missed that OP has mentioned that system is going to be used to host Java Web server with SQL server running. He has also mentioned some 3D Modelling tools for business. Now most of the database tools are multi-threaded and CPU intensive in nature and A10-5800K is never built to handle these kind of workload.

FX-8120, on the other hand, comes within 10K and will offer the best performance/dollar experience to OP. Another good option is FX-8320 which is available around 11K in Flipkart and probably lower in Street markets.

OP
G

getvmurali

Broken In
Buddy, the thing is how much we can manage within our budget. Now, I think you have missed that OP has mentioned that system is going to be used to host Java Web server with SQL server running. He has also mentioned some 3D Modelling tools for business. Now most of the database tools are multi-threaded and CPU intensive in nature and A10-5800K is never built to handle these kind of workload.

FX-8120, on the other hand, comes within 10K and will offer the best performance/dollar experience to OP. Another good option is FX-8320 which is available around 11K in Flipkart and probably lower in Street markets.
@Cilus, the modelling tool is not an 3D tool. It is just an data modelling tool (some thing like a visio). Also I wanted to avoid an GPU (since it cost close to 4K to 5K). With that in mind, is it possible only to have an FX CPU for an HD movie experience?

hitesh

In the zone
The intel rig is fine by me. But I have a concern here for the AMD rig, cause
1. The mentioned Rig sounds more for of a Gaming rig.
2. Do we really need 8 core CPU for office productivity work?
3. Initially I thot we could manage with an AMD a10. The reason being with an integrated GPU we thot we will save some money and was planning to procure the system for 30K to 35K.
4. Finally can't an AMD A10 support HD movies @ 1080p

Please help !

2 - No, you don't. Btw 8350 is not a true 8 core cpu
3- Stick with A10. It is perfect for your needs. That way you will save a lot of bucks and will have room for a nice monitor
4- It can. Hell even my HD2000 can handle it smoothly

@Cilus, the modelling tool is not an 3D tool. It is just an data modelling tool (some thing like a visio). Also I wanted to avoid an GPU (since it cost close to 4K to 5K). With that in mind, is it possible only to have an FX CPU for an HD movie experience?

No not possible. As Ashish said, you need a GPU for full HD experience. Be it a very low end IGP like my HD2000, but you need it

Cilus

laborare est orare
getvmurali , I was not talking about 3D Modelling as use Enterprise Architect in my office for my Projects, but I was highlighting the Database you are planning to run. A10-5800K is okay for most of the usage and its IGP is very powerful for good multimedia experience. But my suggestion is still a FX-8120 + Power Color HD 5570 (3.4K) 1GB DDR3 + Gigabyte 970A-DS3 Combination.

OP
G

getvmurali

Broken In
2 - No, you don't. Btw 8350 is not a true 8 core cpu
3- Stick with A10. It is perfect for your needs. That way you will save a lot of bucks and will have room for a nice monitor
4- It can. Hell even my HD2000 can handle it smoothly

No not possible. As Ashish said, you need a GPU for full HD experience. Be it a very low end IGP like my HD2000, but you need it

Well pardon my ignorance. Isn't 1080p an full HD? I was referring to this content for my understanding of 1080p HD

HD ready - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

getvmurali , I was not talking about 3D Modelling as use Enterprise Architect in my office for my Projects, but I was highlighting the Database you are planning to run. A10-5800K is okay for most of the usage and its IGP is very powerful for good multimedia experience. But my suggestion is still a FX-8120 + Power Color HD 5570 (3.4K) 1GB DDR3 + Gigabyte 970A-DS3 Combination.

Thanks Cilus, i can understand your advice. Lets say if I do very less Database work, do you still think I should go for FX? Pardon me, but iam just trying to fit in the budget of 30K :(

BhargavJ

In the zone
Not sure if I'm answering your question here, but 1080p is full HD. HD2000 is the integrated graphics, there's also HD3000 and HD4000, all of them deliver full HD (1080p).

Top Bottom