AMD P2 555 BE vs. INTEL i5-750

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
both performance wise and future proofing i5 750 rocks. 660 is just a waste of money.it is just a fast dual core (so not futureproof) with crappy intel integrated graphics and is costlier than 750 which is a quad.

but intel will be launching sandybridge proccys next year with new socket
so this means you will be closing your upgrade path by going with i5 750.

750 will last for 3 years or so. till then i suppose AMD will also change socket.
so it depends upon you. if you change hardware frequently then x4 otherwise if you plan to keep this rig for 3 years then 750.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ok so here are my specs:-
Amd 945
Asus Evo M4A785
CM Elite 310 (with transparent side panel)
Logitech Multimedia
20" Samsung
SMPS will be a local one (brands like corsair are not available here)
500 GB HDD
kingston 4GB ddr3 ram
Sapphire HD5770-1GB gddr5
and all the usual stuff..........
now i wanted to know that which i should buy seeing both performance and future proofing????(core i5-750 or 660 or 945) ????

are you kidding? you gong run a HD5770 on a local PSU? well, sorry mate but i think i just wasting my time on this thread. my last advice is, change these:

1. X4 955.
2. no Asus. get Biostar, MSI, Gigabyte, AsRock.
3. Elite 310 too small. ATX motherboard will cause problem.

as last thing, HD5770 + local cheap PSU = you better not buy a new PC. cause anyway your card + PSU will die within the first few hours only.

both performance wise and future proofing i5 750 rocks. 660 is just a waste of money.it is just a fast dual core (so not futureproof) with crappy intel integrated graphics and is costlier than 750 which is a quad.

but intel will be launching sandybridge proccys next year with new socket
so this means you will be closing your upgrade path by going with i5 750.

750 will last for 3 years or so. till then i suppose AMD will also change socket.
so it depends upon you. if you change hardware frequently then x4 otherwise if you plan to keep this rig for 3 years then 750.

exactly. if performance slowly goes down, OC will come handy. OC it to 4Ghz & see it fly away.

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
exactly. if performance slowly goes down, OC will come handy. OC it to 4Ghz & see it fly away.

You are talking about the 945 or the i5???
and there are only local smps available(will adcom work fine and not go kaput????) and i am going to buy i5 as i will not upgrade till 12th and will most probably buy a laptop after that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Of what ...the 945 or the i5???
and there are only local smps available(will adcom work fine and not go kaput????) and i am going to buy i5 as i will not upgrade till 12th and will most probably buy a laptop after that.

i5.

as for PSU, if you choose anything needing external ower, get a good PSU. with HD5770, a Corsair VX450W, FSP Saga II 500W, Seasonic 430W. these 3 are good PSU & will handle that card + OC pretty well. with local PSU, you better do an insurance of your PC.

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
then what to do????? smps of brands like these are not available in lucknow..........you will not belive when i went to some shops asking for cooler master cabinets, first a shopkeeper asked you want server cabinets??then i said no, desktop cabinets.Then he said pointing towarrds iball and zebronics "You buy these cabinets I will put cooler!!"I said that is a company then he started laughing and saying you are kid, there are no such brands available!

pulsar_swift

Youngling
man, if VX450 is not available locally, order online. I would suggest i5 750, it will serve the purpose for 3 yrs. Its a good OCer. As you are going a discrete GFX card (HD5770). i5 750 makes the best sense to me, as you seem to have the budget to go for i5

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
@pulsar Your config. is similar to mine...so is there any space problem in the cabinet?(i mean congestion problems or heating (when those extra fans were not present??????)
@sam I have finally found a corsair and fsp dealer!!!! Should i go in for FSP SAGA II 500W or wait for two months for corsair?????

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@pulsar Your config. is similar to mine...so is there any space problem in the cabinet?(i mean congestion problems or heating (when those extra fans were not present??????)

only problem you'l face is lack of space if you get an ATX board. heating issue shouldn't be there. PSU's fan will act as exhaust.

@sam I have finally found a corsair and fsp dealer!!!! Should i go in for FSP SAGA II 500W or wait for two months for corsair?????

get FSP Saga II 500W. Corsair unit will cost you more but will give you 5yrs warranty (FSP 2yrs only).

pulsar_swift

Youngling
if you have the budget, go for NZXT Gamma @ 2.1K. Its better than Elite 310. Provision to install top fan, is a good feature to have in NZXT Gamma. As such there is no problem with Elite 310, it is good in its own right.It comes with a rear 120mm fan. By adding the 3 extra 120mm fans, i saw 2degree c reduction in temp

OP
P

pranav.seth

Journeyman
I am planning to put a lcd tv(preferably 32") in place of monitor and also add a tv tuner(preferably internal,plz suggest).Will HD5770 be adequate for this sort of tv(in te4rms of resoultion supporting)????Or someother graphic card willl be required????

Top Bottom