AMD Gaming Rig around 45k

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Yeah I'm planning to buy Hyper 212 Evo too. BTW Cooler Master Elite 430 black is a good option right?

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Offtopic: AMD processors are not good for gaming? Can anyone please explain the reason?

Offtopic? No way mate. I too want some proper explanation for this widespread opinion, when everyone says that gaming relies heavily on GPU & just partly on CPU.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Very few games are CPU intensive. As far as i heard, a weak or old CPU can bottleneck current gen graphics processors. So you wont get the most out of your graphics card. RAM is so cheap, that getting a 4GB Corsair module costs just a bit north of a grand. The main factors for an attractive gaming experience is the monitor, graphics card and processor.

All you have to do is make sure that your processor isnt an ancient Sempron or Pentium 4 :p currently, even Core 2 Duo models Athlon I and Phenom I models will be bottlenecking. The Phenom II architecture is only about 2 or 3 years old, and wont be bottlenecking, especially since you can overclock them :)

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Well well well, new issues arise. I've been reading a lot of threads an I stumbled upon something I found very crucial. "At lower resolution gaming, CPU counts more than GPU".

So I'll be gaming at a maximum resolution of 1600x900. Considering my resolution what would be the best choice?

1.AMD Phenom II 970+GIGABYTE GA-880GM+Radeon HD 6850
2.AMD Phenom II 1090T+Asus M5A97-PRO+Radeon HD 6850

Will I be wasting my money if I go for the 2nd one coz I'm gaming at 1600x900?:confused:

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Get the 970BE. Difference between quad cores and hexa cores in gaming is virtually nil. Hardly any games use more than 2 cores for gaming, although they will be utilising 4 cores soon enough. A quad core is always a safe buy and should be a minimum if going for a setup for playing games as well as doing multi threaded app work...

And both use the same architecture. its just that the first one has 4 cores and the second one has 6 cores. The first one also has a higher stock clock speed, i think. 3.6Ghz, but i maybe wrong...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i'll also suggest same. get the 960T or 970T (can be unlock to a 6core but mayn't be stable) and add the fastest GPU you can afford. Cause you can add a 2k cooler and overclock it past 4Ghz but overclocking a GPU is not that easy. also not worth it.

"At lower resolution gaming, CPU counts more than GPU".

its nothing like that. at any resolution if you can't keep a good balance, framerates will tumble and crumble. if you buy a Core i7 2600 and add a HD6670, it'll offer same FPS as an AMD Phenom II X4 840 with a HD6670 if you run games at 1024X768. maybe marginally better in case of the 2600.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
If you have an ancient processor like a Sempron or a Pentium Dual Core or something like that, the graphics card can get bottlenecked and provide lower performance than its capable of. The 960T is a very recent CPU, a quad core version of the the Thuban six core Phenom IIs. It has better thermals and also a Turbo core feature that overclocks your processor automatically up to a point, to improve computing performance when necessary

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Okay then guys. Processor matter is almost done. Its gonna be 970 BE.

Now the motherboard.

1.ASUS M5A88-M AM3+ ~ 6000

2.ASUS M5A97 ~ 6400

3.GIGABYTE GA-880GM ~ 5000

Which one?

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
So the Asus M5A97, is that it guys?

Next the most crucial one. GPU

1.HD 6850 ~ 10k
2.HD 6870 ~ 12.5k
3.HD 6950 ~ 15k

Again, my maximum resolution is 1600x900. I need a GPU which is just required to run games smoothly in my small monitor. So the best buy is?

(Seems like we're getting somewhere:stirpot:)

Souro_Ray

In the zone
HD 6850 should be good enough. But try to go for the MSI Cyclone PE/OC version of the HD6850, that comes factory overclocked and with a better cooler. If you cant find it, go for Sapphire

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
So time to put up the first trial configuration.

AMD 3.5 GHz AM3 Phenom II 970 -7600
Asus M5A97 -6400
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 -10000
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo -2200
2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB -3200
Cooler Master Elite 430 Black -3100
Corsair GS600 -4250
Asus DRW-24B3ST -1150
Logitech MK200 -800
F&D A-520 -2000
Numeric UPS 600 VA -1800

It adds up to Rs.42500. Opinions?:listen:

EDIT:How to show the configuration in a table guys? I tried to wrap a table around the selected text but it doesn't work out as intended.:aaargh:

Renny

Padawan
Offtopic: AMD processors are not good for gaming? Can anyone please explain the reason?

Per core performance of AMD CPUs are not as good as Intel ones, meaning AMD needs more cores to match Intel's performance,

RiGOD, I suggest you go with the X6, it would perform better in CPU intensive tasks like encoding etc.

Tarun

In the zone
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming - Crysis, GTA IV, LOTR, Assasin's Creed, BF3, DIRT.
Work - AutoCAD 2012, 3DsMAX, Video Editing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:Rs.45000 without monitor and HDD (Max-Rs.50000).

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Only if its safe and needed.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:None.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:I'm about to get one. Dell 20" LED. 1600x900 resolution.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: HDD & Monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Q2

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Twice.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Trivandrum. Can buy locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Please don't suggest Intel. I want an AMD rig which is future proof. I have no plan to crossfire in future. Yesterday I posted here for an Intel rig configuration and overnight somthing came over me and I've changed into an AMD fan boy. So help me with this.

that is more what i have take into consideration 50k
Core i5 2500k Rs.12850

Maximus Gene z Rs.13500

OCZ Vertex Plus 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Rs.4950

G.skill 8GB1600 Mhz RAM Rs.3000

LG 24X Sata Internal DVD Writer Rs.1100

Corsair Cx500 V2 Rs.2950

MSI Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Rs.8850

NZXT Source 210 Elite Rs.2400

Total 49650
Hope that helped :D

the core i5 2500k is better then the FX 81xx in almost all fields have a look here
Core i5 vs FX 8150
[YOUTUBE]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4[/YOUTUBE]

that gpu might not max out at 1080p but can play on high almost all games with decent 30FPS+ ;)

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
All that money spent on a killer rig and just 30+ FPS? I'd rather go with the non k version of the proccy, get and intel board and buy a 6950 instead. BTW my max resolution is just 1600x900:banghead:

Souro_Ray

In the zone
If you dont want an intel rig, go for the AMD config you decided and stay with the HD6850 or HD6870.

Ok, final question for you: INTEL or AMD?

And the 6850 is enough for you ONLY if you dont decide to change your monitor to a Full HD one. At your current resolution, the card is fine

Top Bottom