AMD FX-9590 Review, Piledriver at 5 GHz

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, check out the review of the AMD centurion series FX-9590, the 1st commercially available 5 GHz x86 processor. Although architecture wise it is same as our FX-8350 and the higher speed has introduced a huge TDP of 219W and it is just a marketing strategy by AMD to keep up with new Intel releases. a 5 GHz processor is still something and will definitely attract the enthusiasts around the world. So check it out:-

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
It is available in Newegg and you can buy one right now. It is simply a marketing gimmick IMO, they are just showing how much they can reach with the current architecture.

ankush28

Bazinga
Why amd is not trying to make low power consumption processors atleast around intel ones, price of this processor is also not that much cool PROs will surely opt for opteron.

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
I guess then you gus have to wait for Steam Roller. It is not just going to be simple iteration from Piledriver architecture like it was from BD to PD. Although the execution units (Integer and FPU) are going to be based on same methodlody, there will be significant changes in the Fetch and Decode units, memory controllers and Cache access techniques. For example, In a module,both BD and PD has two Fetch units (which fetches instructions and data from Main memory or Ram) and one decoding unit (Which decodes the fetched instruction or data to processor understandable binary data or Microcode). AMD Engineers have observed that the rate at which the dual fetch units are fetching the instruction/data, single decode unit can't keep up with it to decode the instruction and data and decoding it at far lower speed and cannot feed the two Integer units present in a Module in an efficient manner and hence bottlenecking it. Steam Roller will be having two separate decoders, each for each of the two cores inside a module. Also the L2 and L3 cache access protocols and Branch prediction units are going to be a complete new and far efficient design.

ankush28

Bazinga
yup lots of expectation from steam roller heared that it will have huge l2 l3 cache :D
and might be it will also upto 5GHz mark.
Cilus are you talking about ALU in 3rd line of post

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
if amd is unable to keep up with intel after steamroller then probably it will be the last of it...........

Can't say that buddy Intel processors are sucking big time..
See constant degradation in thermals from good ol SNB to latest Haswell

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Can't say that buddy Intel processors are sucking big time..
See constant degradation in thermals from good ol SNB to latest Haswell

dude just see their power consumption in mobile platform intel is already advancing to mobile platform while maintaining and increasing their processor efficiency ........ that's really something worth appreciating on the other hand everyone knows u can have more processor power on higher power consumption design...........

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
dude just see their power consumption in mobile platform intel is already advancing to mobile platform while maintaining and increasing their processor efficiency ........ that's really something worth appreciating on the other hand everyone knows u can have more processor power on higher power consumption design...........

*www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/1513936.jpg

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
yup lots of expectation from steam roller heared that it will have huge l2 l3 cache :D
and might be it will also upto 5GHz mark.
Cilus are you talking about ALU in 3rd line of post

No, I am not talking about ALU. ALU is a part of the Integer execution unit which performs Integer operations. Even a single Core CPU is divided in multiple sub units like Fetch Unit, Decode Unit and multiple Execution units to perform different operations and ALU is one of these execution units. The module based design of AMD is little different, here Fetch, Decode and Out of Execution logic is same for a module but each of the two integer cores have their own sub execution units. So two of the integer cores do have their own ALU.
The Fetch, Decode and Out of Order Execution logic are collaboratively called CPU Front-end which feeds the execution units (Integer and FPU) with instructions and data.
In Intel as well as AMD's older Phenom design, each of the cores has their own frontend. So a 6 Core Phenom II 1090T actually has 6 frontend, each per core, feeding their respective cores. On the other hand in BD and PD design, each of the modules has a single Frontend which feeds data/instructions to two integer cores and one FPU. So they need to be reasonably faster than their old Phenom II Frontend as one Frontend is feeding two physical cores. In Steam Roller, AMD is redesigning their frontend part for better performance. Hope I am clear now.

AMD does not need to beat haswell in terms of performance but need to be comparable in terms of power consumption. Don't you think if you can get FX-8350 level performance at a power consumption of say i5 2500K level, it will be an attractive buy.
It Laptop platform, AMD is not at all targeting the Intel Core i7 Processors and their offering is basically balanced performance of CPU and GPU in a reasonable lower price point. Their Richland based A10-5750M is only a 35W TDP Processor which packed a Processor as powerful as 3rd Generation Core i5 base models and a HD 7650M level IGP which is quiet interesting actually. Check MSI GX60 review on Anandtech and you will find out that Richland cores can actually keep up with the Haswell ULV Core i7 (2 Core, 4 thread, like an normal Core i5 but with far lower TDP) processors. In RIchland, AMD actually tweaked the power distribution between the CPU and GPU and concentrated more on CPU which can now operate at higher base frequency and also can reach its full Turbo Core speed.
In many reviews, it was reveled that Trinity based APUs (A10-4600M, A8-4500M) were never reaching their maximum turbo even when running the very intensive apps resulting poor performance. In RIchland, that has been addressed. But it is just a smaller update, lets wait for the Steam Roller + GCN + HUMA or Kaveri in a single word.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

too bad everyone only thinking about mobile cpus ;-) but still AMD has not locked the OC feature [ hope they will continue this with SR ] so that's a great bit of hope for enthusiasts/overclockers and higher power consumtion does not always translates into more processing power.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
@Cilus :When is the expected release date for the steam roller? Should be a worthy upgrade for people having Phenom II x4s(like me)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ not before next year AFAIK.

BTW, about the review : I'm wondering despite of 219W+ tdp why the review did not use a water cooler for the cpu and FX-9590 has only one year warranty .. so even AMD is not confident enough how long this 219W TDP cpu will last ?

Now acc to the review if it's due to mobos power limitation they faced a OC limit then what ill be the efect running this cpu on a motherboard ? I mean all those 10k+ mobo which are meant to run this biggy ?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Topgear, I think they have used H80 but that was also overwhelmed due to the heat dissipation of the Processor at 5 GHz speed and that's why they were forced to use a NH-U14S with Dual Fan setup. For motherboard, they have used Sabertooth 990FX. However, I think here they should have gone with top of the line 990FX motherboards like Asus Corsair Formulla or Gigabyte UD7.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, they should have used a motherboard which is a record holders for many AMD cpus but if AMD continues to make such cpus ( and Intel Haswell ) it won't take much time before we see some closed loop LN2/Helium coolers just to keep this cpus cool or oc them to a moderate speed ;-)

Hrishi

yep, they should have used a motherboard which is a record holders for many AMD cpus but if AMD continues to make such cpus ( and Intel Haswell ) it won't take much time before we see some closed loop LN2/Helium coolers just to keep this cpus cool or oc them to a moderate speed ;-)
hahaha . :p ,
Hotter CPU's , lesser average life. More expense/year.Limited headroom for OClocking.Benefit for Chip making companies. :p

Top Bottom