AMD FX-9590 Review, Piledriver at 5 GHz

Guys, check out the review of the AMD centurion series FX-9590, the 1st commercially available 5 GHz x86 processor. Although architecture wise it is same as our FX-8350 and the higher speed has introduced a huge TDP of 219W and it is just a marketing strategy by AMD to keep up with new Intel releases. a 5 GHz processor is still something and will definitely attract the enthusiasts around the world. So check it out:-

AMD FX-9590 Review; Piledriver at 5GHz

Since it is same as FX-8350 and just pile driver with a better die... couldnt we just buy 4-5 fx-8350's and try overclocking them to 5.0 ghz?!
If we get lucky with the die, we could get 5.0hz with the first or second fx 8350.. so can use the remaining money to buy a liquid cooler setup?

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Arey vai, we don't need to buy it. It is just for a show-off and only for enthusiastic overclockers.

guru_urug

iGoogle
@Cilus :When is the expected release date for the steam roller? Should be a worthy upgrade for people having Phenom II x4s(like me)

I've been reading a lot on some other forums that Steamroller may not be AM3+ afterall. Its sad since I just purchased a new mobo after being told here that it would definitely support it. Time will tell if this is true. It has been confirmed for the FM2 and the FM2+ sockets though. The reason for this speculation is that AMD's server roadmap doesnt show any Steamroller based server for 2014, they will be based on modified Piledriver cores(Warsaw) And since AMD usually brings out the newest architecture for Server first before bringing it out to the enthusiast segment, it doesnt look like a good sign.
The initial opinion that AM3+ would support steamroller, was probably mis-interpreted. AMD never gave any official statement on that, they just said that piledriver series wouldnt be the last CPU on AM3+, they could have been referring to the Centurion or maybe a modified low-power Piledriver CPU. AMD is keeping mum on this issue, probably because people are still purchasing the AM3+ socket boards thinking it will support Steamroller.
If Steamroller does indeed come out for AM3+ socket then the upgrade from PIIX4 would be a good one. Steamroller is expected to have 20% better IPC than PD, architecture improvements include a dedicated decoder for each core. So it should be a good improvement. Other than that, currently only 83xx would be a good upgrade from the PIIx4.
Having said that, there doesnt seem to be any clear indication what AMD is planning for the future of the FX series. But IMO it is best if we don't get ahead of ourselves and tell new buyers that AM3+ will definitely support Steamroller. Just my 2c

Last edited:

guru_urug

iGoogle
Please check here: AMD sticks with Socket AM3+ for Steamroller- The Inquirer

I have read that article, I saw it quoted in some other Tech forum. Most of the people argue that AMD only said that PD will not be the last CPU for AM3+, they could have been referring to Centurion or a derivative of Warsaw(PD). AMD never claimed SteamRoller, the tech journalists have made an assumption.
Also that article is almost a year old now, AMD has recently made a official Roadmap press release of their Server components, it doesnt mention SteamRoller all throughout 2014. Why wouldnt AMD plan to use a superior upgraded architecture for its servers? Its usually the trend to release first for servers(since AMD generates lots of revenue in the server segment) and then for mainstream CPUs.

AMD Unveils Server Strategy and Roadmap

Also the recent 2013 roadmap for Desktops mentions Steamroller for APUs but not for Performance segment.
*www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/images/L_AMD_desktop_roadmap_2013.jpg

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, You are misinformed. AMD has a very little footprint in Server market compared to Intel and Bulldozer comes 1st into desktop and then came for Server. AMD is foucing more on their HSA implementation on Server rather than normal Processor release. And why you are claiming that Steam Roller is not in their Server roadmap. Did you check the APU named Berlin? It will be having steam Roller Cores along with GCN graphics + Heterogeneous System Architecture with HUMA support. Once they release their desktop Steam Roller cores, the high end steam roller modules will come next to it.

Read it here: *www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-unveils-2013june18.aspx

guru_urug

iGoogle
Cilus I know are more knowledgeable, Im just reiterating what I have been reading up :)

Berlin is an APU for server clusters. I was talking about the Mainstream Servers. This is an indication that steamroller could very well be APU only.

Anyway I think we should continue in PM. My apologies for taking this OT.

EDIT:
You are right about the misconception I had regarding AMDs server strategy. I read it up in detail now, thanks

OP
Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
Any discussion which shares knowledge is welcome here and no need for your apology. The discussion is fine IMO and I think we can continue. I have answered your PM BTW.

Regarding APU for server, don't get the misconception that APU is not going to be used in Mainstream server market. Kost of the servers use cluster of processing units instead of single very powerful processor due to the parallel nature of server environment. In the next generation APUs are gonna play a huge role due to the implementation of HSA and HUMA. Already OpenCL and OpenGL, two best open source languages for compute and Graphics, have released their specification for the new versions and they are now providing specific optimizations and functions directly targeting the HSA platform. You can check it here: AnandTech | Khronos @ SIGGRAPH 2013: OpenGL 4.4, OpenCL 2.0, & OpenCL 1.2 SPIR Announced

It enables the normal programming languages like Java, C++ to use the advanced HSA features with minimal modifications, hence encouraging the developers to optimize their code for it. The best example will be redirecting the chunk of Floating point Executions to GPU cores which are far faster than today's most powerful x86 CPU available through coding. In this kind of scenario, an budget APU server can easily excels a CPU only server by huge margin.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Well mostly a show off,price won't justify it for most.Advertising this as a 5GHz chip is like intel advertising i7 3770k as 3.9GHz processor.
As far as mobile processors are concerned AMD doesn't have much performance for now.
A10 5750m can't do that well against an i5 3xxxm as far as the CPU performance goes.i7 3517U has much lower base clocks than i5 3xxxm processors.
There were some designs that did quite well(like a8+hd7670m) but they need to cover broader base.There could have been more different designs.
Kaveri,steamroller parts should bring a good improvement and arrive in time to compete well.Kaveri should get more design wins in notebook market to get as much as possible.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering if AMD FX-9590 is going to hold some world record with sub zero cooling -- as the main purpose of this beast is to showoff AMD better perform well on this ;-)

Top Bottom